Thread: I Quit

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Joyo

I Quit

My meditation practice has been nothing more than sitting with a racing mind. I have little time to read Zen book or study Buddhism. I have a library of Buddhist books on my bookshelf that are half read. I sat down one evening, early this week, and felt frustrated. Zen is supposedly a simple way to live. But my mind wants nothing to do with it, it wants to race, think, analyze, study, learn all the time and does not want to let go of attachments. I finally told myself I am quitting. I no longer sit and do "zazen" I no longer "practice Buddhism" I am done, I quit. And so I sat, with nothing, no labels, no pressure, no striving to achieve perfection or anything at all, for that matter. And, there it was, the clear blue sky!!!! And now as I sit, doing nothing, no zazen, no shikantaza, nothing at all, the clear blue sky keeps returning to me.

And then I found this quote, and now I think, after practicing and studying Zen for a year, I finally understand what this is all about...

“Zen is not some kind of excitement, but concentration on our usual everyday routine”
    Shunryu Suzuki

Gassho,
    Treena
    Last edited by Joyo; 07-08-2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: just realized I am supposed to use my first name, sorry for the confusion