Thread: An appreciation that will be no surprised to some and little to others! And an invite

An appreciation that will be no surprised to some and little to others! And an invite

I've been around the 'Zen scene' for some time now and I've met wonderful people, incredible people and some not so wonderful people. So when I first came to know about Treeleaf and after accessing the site a few times as a guest and thought of applying to join Treeleaf, I asked some of these people what they thought of it. I also read blogs and other stuff to take a sounding. I got a mixture of responses and opinions but in the main the feeling was "we'll it's OK but it's not the real thing". Whatever they thought the 'real' thing to be, the consensus of opinion seemed to be as a substitute, if one wasn't able to attend a 'real' zendo and sitting live with a sangha, it was fine but it was not an alternative to this.

Now in some senses these people were right. We here do not have a bricks and mortar zendo and we do not meet in this kind of place and sit 'live' in the way they meant. But I. all other things they were completely WRONG.

For one thing we have each other and the support of all. The discussions, questions and answers, thoughts and deeds, care and support that happens here, far outweighs all I have encountered in my experience. But the main thing, and this is really what I have said so far is all about our teachers Taigu and Jundo. They are 'the business', 'the goods' as they say, 'the real thing'. Looking at they efforts here everyday one can not doubt their dedication and commitment but not only this, one only has to look at their contributions here today Taigu's "This and that" and Jundo's last response to shikantazen (Sam) to experience genuine insight and wisdom. Who,if any, then, could doubt their authority and authenticity in the zen tradition.

So I want to express, without any trace of fawning or synchophancy, my deepest gratitude and I want to invite any or all, whether you have done so before on one or many occasions, to join me.
    deep deep bows

David

The fundamental point is expressed.
    Gassho
    Myozan

David, I find this true as well. Only I might be even more expansive and say that, as to your second point, Treeleaf may be more authentic than "live" sang has. I sit now and then with a large Chinese Chan group in my city. But, that is the ONLY time I see members of that sangha. There really is no interaction other than on Monday nights. Treeleaf is authentic practice.

Gassho,
    William

Well said, David. I too have the utmost gratitude for both teachers and sangha here.

Gassho
    Andy

Yugen
    I am grateful for your presence - each and every one of you. My gratitude is deeper than I can express in words. I will leave it to my practice then to express my fellowship with and commitment to you.

Gassho
    Yugen

David, well said. I am grateful for everything and everyone here. It is as authentic, if not more so than anywhere else I have been.
    Deep bows to you all.
    Matt

Mp
    Thank you for this David and I too am very grateful for our teachers Jundo and Taigu ... for all the wonderful Sangha members.

Gassho
    Shingen

Hear, hear! And deep bows.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Last edited by Dosho; 06-29-2013 at 03:50 AM.

I echo these statements. My gratitude is expansive.

Deep deep bows

Gasho,

Joe

Joyo
    I also have much gratitude for TreeLeaf, Jundo, Taigu, and everyone here. I am new and I am already so very thankful for TreeLeaf.

Gassho,
    Treena

I feel the same. Bows to everyone; 108 to Jundo and Taigu.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Deep bows to one, two and all! _/\_ _/\_ _/\_
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Treeleaf is as real a Zendo as any.

It all comes down to how you embrace new technology and how you commit to your practice.

Sure, a Zendo near your house might feel "real" but reality comes from your practice and from the confidence the teachers create.

Our teachers here in Treeleaf have created something unique that helps people like me, who lives in a place where zen belongs in movies and new age magazines, to have a home and a real temple to go to.

And then there's the people here who practice and sit together with no borders or time.

We learn and support each other.

Treeleaf is home.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I fully agree with what has been said here.

I even think that there is more communication/interaction in this Sangha thanks to different time zones. There is always someone here, you can sit at different times with different people, and even if it is "only" with the recording.
    People really care for each other in times of crisis and are lucky for others when something nice occurred (equally important IMHO).

However, I do hope I'll meet at least some of you guys "in person" one day...

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

You have our gratitude.

Thank you.

Gassho
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi David,

Last fall I tried out a local sitting group for a while. I was reluctant to tell them I was part of an "online sangha" because I figured they wouldn't get it and I was right, they strongly suggested there was no substitute for getting together to sit in person.

Then, after the sitting, they fired up a laptop and we had a book discussion group on Skype, led by the teacher, who lives a couple towns away. I almost laughed out loud.

Actually they were a very nice group but I felt like I already had roots here--because I do.

Gassho

Jen

Great story Nenka! Roots. That's it. Fits right in with lineage.
    Gassho
    Myozan

I agree. I have been a member of several well established Zen Centers/Monasterys with "well published" teachers over the years. Except in one case I have found Rev. Jundo (I am sure this is true of Rev. Taigu as well but haven't reached out) to be accessible in a manner well beyond what those teachers could offer. That accessibility is on a level that makes it easy to understand that "all of life" is indeed "our Temple" our pracitice. This is not to say that those other teachers were not genuine but for me Treeleaf offers something very valuable to me that they did not.

Furthermore, in all those 20 years I had very few dialogues with fellow students; with the notable exception of a lifelong Dharma friendship with one Rinzai nun. It may seem strange to say, but Treeleaf feels the most like "living" with a Sangha that I have experienced and that includes a period when I was living in a Chan Center as a prospective monk in my early 20's.

Thank you Rev.s Jundo and Taigu and thank you to all fellow practitioners out there. Treeleaf has become a very important part of my life.
    Last edited by arnold; 06-30-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Treeleaf is as real as any Zendo I have been into.... but here the people feel closer, the teachers actually can hear and speak with you anytime, you can always learn and relearn something new, over and over again... and it is open 24/7... What else could anyone ask for???

And there is no way the Kyosaku will hurt you , no matter how hard you are hit!!!

Deep Gassho for all my friends/teachers over here
    Thank you for your practice

Good thread. Something that has brought up a lot of questions I have. Online versus in-person

The role treeleaf is playing is remarkable and very useful due to the following reasons:

- The teachers are of high quality, especially in the form of Shikantaza style of soto-zen. We rarely find good teachers in this form of meditation. Most zen teachers teach counting/following breath
    - The forum style of interaction lets you benefit from others questions. Also when you pose a question traditionally at zen centers only teachers answer that. Here you get several answers from senior students as well and one of those answers might resonate better to you.
    - Tree Leaf is unique in its kind as its the only online training Zen center. I feel this makes it more successful as a business model because in places where there are no Zen centers, this is the only option and in places where there are Zen centers this still can be an addition or the only preferred choice too.

Having said that, let me pose a question: If Jundo and Taigu were teaching in your neighborhood, would you still prefer the online thing versus going physically to their Zendo?

I think the online thing has its own advantages as mentioned above. But I heard a teacher's physical presence itself can uplift you spiritually and any energy transmission is more easier in person. I don't know how true this is. Also for group meditations, I feel the same thing applies, a physical setting gives a better cumulative effect than an online setting.

I still have to come to terms with the idea of having Treeleaf as my "only" Zendo. It is a wonderful and irreplaceable addition especially as I have access to good number of Zen centers at my place.

- Sam

Sam, Treeleaf or a physical Zendo are good options. Both a Physical Zendo and Treeleaf together are good. I don't think it really matters. What is most important is sincerity in our practice. I think the point most of us Treeleafers are trying to make is that the criticism aimed at this Sangh is unjustified simply because our teachers are sincere and the practice here is sincere so long as you choose to wholeheartedly enter what is being taught here which is a particular style of Soto Zen.

Regarding your comment:

I heard a teacher's physical presence itself can uplift you spiritually and any energy transmission is more easier in person.
    Though I think it is probalby best that Reverend's Jundo and/or Taigu respond to this, I would like to add my 2 cents for all it's worth. My personal opinion is that such claims are not very helpful and put the teacher on a pedestal that is potentially harmful to them and their students. Such ideas about a teacher seem to be needlessly extravagant and do little to orient a person to their own daily life and practice. I don't really think there is anything special about anyone's "energy". It's common knowledge that all the universe is energy. So it is what it is, we are what we are which is wonderful and mundane all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    - The teachers are of high quality, especially in the form of Shikantaza style of soto-zen.
    Branding people with labels and preconceived ideas like if they were objects, is what prevent you from understanding and pushes you to your endless questioning.

Seriously. Drop it all.

Just sit.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Last edited by Kyonin; 06-30-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Branding people with labels and preconceived ideas like if they were objects, is what prevent you from understanding and pushes you to your endless babble and questioning.

Seriously. Drop it all.

Just sit.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Kyonin,

Why don't you drop your branding and preconceived ideas about me and my posts and just sit?

Thanks for your "advice" but I don't see anything wrong with my post or with the teachers here. I don't know why you are trying to make an issue out of my post. It is blind followers like you who cause the trouble not posts like mine or the sincere teachers here.

- Sam
    Last edited by shikantazen; 06-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Dear Sam,

Thank you for the insight you've afforded.

Grateful for the lesson.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I have to admit that the online nature of this zendo was one of my stumbling blocks when I began. I thought that maybe it would not be 'real' enough. Or worse, that others would think I was not engaging in 'real zen.'

However, once I just let all of that go (my ideas, my ego), I found this to be an incredibly supportive and vibrant community. Thank you to Jundo, Taigu, and to each member.

Deep bows,
    Matt J

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    Having said that, let me pose a question: If Jundo and Taigu were teaching in your neighborhood, would you still prefer the online thing versus going physically to their Zendo?

- Sam
    If I lived next door to Jundo and Taigu, I would probably prefer to go to the physical zendo as much as possible. It's nice to get out of the house sometimes and to be honest I would really like to try on that fancy hat Taigu was wearing in the video about collecting alms and yelling hooooooo! Of course, afterwards I would come back to forum and make a post about it. In the end you make due with what you have...and we have it pretty damn good here (when google + is working )
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Treeleaf is as real as any other sangha. Sometimes even more real in spirit then some congregations at one single location and I think that’s amazing. I'm grateful to you all for sitting and for being here.

Deep bows to you all.

Enkyo

The benefits of any zendo are dependent on the same thing, our own commitment and dedication to our practice. Tree Leaf offers great opportunities to learn, teach, share life lessons, get to know your sangha, etc. But without self discipline, control, and dedication to practice these things are just words on an internet forum. Real or not real? Only we can control that, bricks or no bricks.

Hi,

If nobody has an objection (please write me privately if you do), I may collect these quotes on our webpage and/or a blog post. I will not include the names of the posters, only the quotes themselves.

The reason is that, while I do not believe in "advertising" our Sangha and trying to entice people in in any aggressive way, I do believe that it is a good thing to make this place known as a resource to people who might benefit. Our mission statement says ...

Treeleaf Zendo was designed specifically as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen Center due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs.

I think that such comments might make such people feel more comfortable about coming to this "online" Sangha who might otherwise hesitate. (As I always tell folks ... we may be an "online" Sangha, but we are just a Sangha).

I also want to thank all the folks who posted such heartfelt comments here, from so many perspectives, both strengths and weaknesses. I think Taigu and I are not doing this to hear nice things, but it is still good to hear that so many folks sense that they are in a good place, receiving something beneficial. I hope all of you will still say the same for many more years down the roadless road.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-02-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi,

If nobody has an objection (please write me privately if you do), I may collect these quotes on our webpage and/or a blog post. I will not include the names of the posters, only the quotes themselves.

The reason is that, while I do not believe in "advertising" our Sangha and trying to entice people in in any aggressive way, I do believe that it is a good thing to make this place known as a resource to people who might benefit. Our mission statement says ...

Treeleaf Zendo was designed specifically as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen Center due to health concerns, living in remote areas, or work, childcare and family needs.

I think that such comments might make such people feel more comfortable about coming to this "online" Sangha who might otherwise hesitate. (As I always tell folks ... we may be an "online" Sangha, but we are just a Sangha).

I also want to thank all the folks who posted such heartfelt comments here, from so many perspectives, both strengths and weaknesses. I think Taigu and I are not doing this to hear nice things, but it is still good to hear that so many folks sense that they are in a good place, receiving something beneficial. I hope all of you will still say the same for many more years down the roadless road.

Gassho, Jundo
    I think this is a wonderful idea and support it 100%. If there is anything else I can do to help in helping others see the true authentic benefits please know that I am always here.

Gassho
    Shingen
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-02-2013 at 11:10 AM.

I would've definitely not established a consistent zen practice had it not been for Treeleaf.

Gassho,

Risho

Quote Originally Posted by chuck13 View Post
    The benefits of any zendo are dependent on the same thing, our own commitment and dedication to our practice. Tree Leaf offers great opportunities to learn, teach, share life lessons, get to know your sangha, etc. But without self discipline, control, and dedication to practice these things are just words on an internet forum. Real or not real? Only we can control that, bricks or no bricks.
    Wonderfully said. I am always amazed at the wisdom of the Senior students here. That is a reflection of the quality of the teaching offered.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck13 View Post
    I do agree with this.

I think it's telling that when this topic came up (over a year ago) most of the members who responded (and it was an interesting and challenging discussion) are still active members. This says a lot.

I do believe Tree Leaf is evolving and will continue to do so - in many positive ways. This is possible because of the dedication of teachers and students - and a willingness to take on board the idea that even a good thing has the potential for change and growth.

So, thank you all,

Willow

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi,

Gassho, Jundo
    By all means do so! I think we say what we say about Treeleaf comes from the heart. I don't see it as advertising at all.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-02-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Our zendo is HUGE! It's comprised of all of our homes. Think of the expanse of that.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Treeleaf is the 2nd Sangha I've experienced. It was nice having a brick and mortar zendo, but it was only there for me when I was present. All of my fellow Treeleafers are always here. I can get online and read the forums, ask questions, talk about an issue and someone is always there to help. I never miss anything because it's all recorded onlne. Our Sangha is imperfectly perfect all the time! Then there are the lessons, sewing the Rakasu...I get all enthused about my practice when I describe Treeleaf. Go Treeleafers, Go!!!
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Unless you are training at a monastery, it's quite difficult to attend the "brick and mortar" every day. And most centers, except the biggest ones, don't offer sitting space everyday anyway; at best maybe once or twice a week. In it's unique way, TreeLeaf is providing everyday access to the sangha's interaction and sharing.

Richard

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisho View Post
    Treeleaf is the 2nd Sangha I've experienced. It was nice having a brick and mortar zendo, but it was only there for me when I was present. All of my fellow Treeleafers are always here. I can get online and read the forums, ask questions, talk about an issue and someone is always there to help. I never miss anything because it's all recorded onlne. Our Sangha is imperfectly perfect all the time! Then there are the lessons, sewing the Rakasu...I get all enthused about my practice when I describe Treeleaf. Go Treeleafers, Go!!!
    I feel the exact same way. I was envious of ppl who were fortunate to live close enough to have a sangha. I was even thinking of making some trips to the closest one (which is about 2 1/2 hrs away) However, now that I've found TreeLeaf, I do not feel the need to do that anymore. So, yeah, I join you in cheering for TreeLeaf