Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI & TALK with GUSTAV ERICSSON

Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI & TALK with GUSTAV ERICSSON

Please join us for a special Zazenkai with my Dharma Brother, Gustav Ericsson, who is visiting Treeleaf Tsukuba, Japan from Sweden!

Gustav Ericcson is a Dharma successor of our Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi (Jundo's Teacher) and, since 2010, also a Lutheran Priest with the Church of Sweden, which is the largest Christian church organization in Sweden and largest Lutheran church in the world. In 2009 he founded Anzenkai, which is an interreligious network of friends based on daily shikantaza zazen. He is also a former prison guard before becoming a Lutheran priest. Obviously, Gustav is very interested in the intersection of Buddhist and Christian Teachings. You can read an interview with Gustav HERE.

Here is something that Gustav wrote on his website for his sitting community in Sweden, Anzenkai.com, and I hope he will speak about when he joins us ...

Anzenkai is not based on any particular religious creed. Some of us are Christians, some are Buddhists, and some belong to other traditions or none at all. We all practice zazen together as friends, enriched by our diversity.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-30-2020 at 07:03 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Lovely to have visiting teachers. I enjoyed Koun Franz's contribution immensely and look forward to sitting with this afterwards.

Although it probably makes little difference on this occasion, it is worth noting that Paris and much of Europe is one hour ahead of London, not two.

Gassho
    Andy

Unfortunately, I have to be in court early Wednesday morning, so I will have to attend the recorded version.

Gassho,
    William

I will gladly be there live as Koun's past Zazenkai.... but gladly be there just one way if there are more people interested, I don't want to be too much greedy

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Mp
    I too would love to be a part of this zazenkai if there is space.

Gassho
    Shingen

Please consider me 'hang-out'.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Wow, the next visiting teacher so soon!
    The time is not feasible for me to be there "live", so I am looking forward to the recording.

Thanks for making this possible!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

If there's for one more, please count me in!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'll get my broom and dust off my Google+ account and hop in if there's space

Gassho,
    Joe

The time of night makes it difficult but I will sure try to join. Looking forward to see Gustav!

Gassho

Dai

I don't think I can make this one. I will however sit and listen to the recorded version.

Gassho
    Matt

7pm Pacific time? This one I can do live. Will I be able to join the hangout with the hangouts app on my phone? Anyone tried that? It would be so much easier than trying to fidget with my webcam! Plus my phone doesn't hum as much as the computer, which would be nice.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    7pm Pacific time? This one I can do live. Will I be able to join the hangout with the hangouts app on my phone? Anyone tried that? It would be so much easier than trying to fidget with my webcam! Plus my phone doesn't hum as much as the computer, which would be nice.
    Hey Amelia ... I have used my Google+ app on Android tablet with no issues.

Gassho
    Shingen

Oh good
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

If there is room, I will be there... otherwise, I will be watching live. Looking forward to this one too!

Gassho,

Risho

Dear All,

DUE TO GUSTAV'S TRAVEL, START TIME HAS BEEN MOVED 30 MINUTES LATER. NEW TIMES BELOW.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but he is coming early in the morning all the way from the other side of Japan just for our sitting! We are still cutting the time close, but we should make it.

Right now, Zazen and Gustav's Talk will commence from 11:30am Japan time Monday morning, which is New York 10:30pm, Los Angeles 7:30pm (Tuesday night). Unfortunately, because the world is round, that is London 3:30am and Paris 4:30am (early Wednesday morning).

The Zazenkai will be between one hour and 90 minutes in length.

Right now, I have the following people reserved for the Hangout. Please let me know as soon as possible if you no longer can make it ...

Jundo & Gustav
    Yugen
    Koshin
    Shingen
    Droclose
    Kyonin
    Joe (Joe, are you all registered for Treeleaf Hangout?)
    Amelia
    Risho

I think we have room for one more before it is a full house. The above individuals will receive an invite to join the Hangout about 15 minutes before the hangout start. I hope others can join us "one way" on the screen I will post at the top of this thread shortly before the Zazenkai.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-24-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Oh, thanks for reminding me!
    Just sent the group/circle join request.

Gassho,
    Joe

Mp
    Wonderful, thank you Jundo and yes, I am confirming that I will be there.

Gassho
    Shingen

Tuesday night 10:30 pm (US time) sounds good

I will join in or watch live. Whichever happens first. It sounds very interesting.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Hello,

I'll have to watch the recorded version but am nevertheless very excited!

Gassho and thank you Jundo for making this happen,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Thank you, will be there live

Gassho

Hi,
    Wish I could be there live. Good luck with it all. Very exciting. Will be watching / sitting tomorrow.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you Jundo for organising these sessions. I won't be live this time but will sit and watch ASAP.

Gassho

David

Dear All,

JUST A RE-MINDER THAT, DUE TO GUSTAV'S TRAVEL, START TIME WAS MOVED 30 MINUTES LATER, TO THE FOLLOWING.

Right now, Zazen and Gustav's Talk will commence from 11:30am Japan time Monday morning, which is New York 10:30pm, Los Angeles 7:30pm (Tuesday night). Unfortunately, because the world is round, that is London 3:30am and Paris 4:30am (early Wednesday morning).

The Zazenkai will be between one hour and 90 minutes in length.

I have the following people reserved for the Hangout.

Jundo & Gustav
    Yugen
    Koshin
    Shingen
    Droclose
    Kyonin
    Joe
    Amelia
    Risho

The above individuals will receive an invite to join the Hangout about 15 minutes before the hangout start. I hope others can join us "one way" on the screen I will post at the top of this thread shortly before the Zazenkai.

Gassho,

Looking forward to hangout.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Thanks Jundo, I will be there.

Gassho
    Shingen

I am ready for the Zazenkai, but there is some heavy thunder and rain over here, so if I do not join on time or dissappear in the middle, surely it is due a power outage, so feel free to use my spot ( something Sheldon would never say )

Gassho

Sent from Tapatalk 2

I'm ready. I will be using my phone. Will I be getting an invitation on the Hangouts app? I've never done it this way before.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Received invitation. Google + says "You do not have a device." Will be no-show.

Sorry,

Gassho,
    Edward

That was really cool; he is very inspirational.

Gassho,

Risho

Sorry that I kept cutting in and out toward the end. Something was definitely up with my connection. I will catch up with the recorded version in a few minutes.

Thank you very much, Gustav. And thank you to Jundo and all the others who sat and will sit.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Mp
    Yes, this was an amazing experience ... thank you Gustav for your kindness and openness. Thank you as well to Jundo for making these wondering talks possible.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Jundo and Gustav and everyone!
    My family, my girlfriend, and my coworkers all comment on how I rarely smile around them. Now this talk. I anticipate feeling pain in my face for a few weeks. But it will be good practice!
    Such a timely talk with a Christian priest too! I may send this video to a few of my friends and family.

Thank you again everyone, it was a good lesson to sit with all of you.

Gassho,
    Joe

It was a wonderful event with lots of teachings.

Thanks to Just Gustavo for his words and to Jundo for bringing him to Treeleaf.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all who sat, will sit and, those who participated; Gustav for being here and Jundo for arranging that. A special thanks to Gustav, the dragon who is working hard to cement the bonds of interfaith unity. Thank you for joining us and sharing your story and your wisdom. It would be good if you could do this again sometime. Your shining faith and infectious smile are great to have around.

gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Just Gustav It was a great sincere talk, much appreciated to travel so far just to be with us, maybe we will hear from you now you just found the way of G+ ... Now, time to sit again, smiling

Gassho

Hello,

thank you Jundo and Gustav for organising this event! Very interesting indeed!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

I had a sick kid last night. I will be watching it today.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

I hope Father Kirillos watches this as well. He's another inspiration for me here at Treeleaf, a model of merging both traditions.

Thank you Gustav and Jundo. I enjoyed this...the idea that we can be so open to all opinions and beliefs to the extent that it allows love and compassion to blossom. This in turn links to the defencelessness of zazen, a return to the open childlike state. My Grandpa used to say that when we smile the world smiles with you, but when you cry you cry alone...maybe we should add that our open smile can break this! Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you - that was really inspiring - and a lovely energy with all the warmth and smiles.

Gassho

Willow

That was really great!
    Thanks a lot, Gustav, for this awesome Dharma Talk, Jundo for inviting him and also thanks to all who attended (very good questions/comments, guys!).

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Thank you Gustav for taking the time to share with us, and also to you Jundo for organizing these talks, I am enjoying them very much.
    Gassho, Jakudo.
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Thank you Jundo and Gustav for organizing this talk. It's interesting to see a real life example of how these two traditions can coexist and be used to unite people rather than separate.
    Gassho,
    Andy

Thank you all. Really wonderful.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Wonderful.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward

Thank you for sharing your experience and positive energy.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Thank you! In the light of recent discussions on the meeting of Zen and Christianity, it was great to have Gustav's input. His work as a prison officer seems to have greatly informed his practice too. A lovely man.

Gassho
    Andy

Hello all,

Another wonderful experience! Thank you Just Jundo for inviting Just Gustav to come and speak with us. This was a very profound and lovely teaching. I once again took some notes to share with my family...this is truly appreciated. _/\_

Treena - I'm so happy to hear that you and your Mom have found a comfortable space to truly talk to each other regarding your differences. It is amazing what you can learn when labels are dropped and true listening is achieved. _/\_

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast