Thread: June 7th/8th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

June 7th/8th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

NOTE: Our Dharma Talk this time will roll with the Genjo Koan (text below in this thread) ...

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-07-2013 at 10:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Dharma Talk this time will bounce with these passages of the Genjo Koan ...

-----------------------

When buddhas are truly buddhas they do not necessarily notice that they are buddhas. However, they are actualized buddhas, who go on actualizing buddhas.

When you see forms or hear sounds fully engaging body-and-mind, you grasp things directly. Unlike things and their reflections in the mirror, and unlike the moon and its reflection in the water, when one side is illumined the other side is dark.

To study the buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.

When you first seek dharma, you imagine you are far away from its environs. But dharma is already correctly transmitted; you are immediately your original self. When you ride in a boat and watch the shore, you might assume that the shore is moving. But when you keep your eyes closely on the boat, you can see that the boat moves. Similarly, if you examine myriad things with a confused body and mind you might suppose that your mind and nature are permanent. When you practice intimately and return to where you are, it will be clear that nothing at all has unchanging self.

I will be there live, assuming that Google + actually allows me to find the Hangout this week.

Gassho,
    William

I will be there

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yugen
    I will be there too

Gassho
    Yugen

I will be there live. A while since I sat through the night

Gassho

David

I'll be there.

Gassho,
    Dosho

I will be there on the following morning. but I will be live.

Live here too
    Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Mp
    I too will be there live.

Gassho
    Shingen

I will be sitting Saturday morning. Looking forward to sitting with all of you.

Gassho,
    Mc.

Just got told that I am working late tonight. So, I will sit this one tomorrow.

Have been traveling this past week, so looking forward to getting home tomorrow night and sitting this one. Gassho, Matt J

Look forward to sit / not sit with / without all.

Gassho,
    Edward

Mp
    Nice way to end the week, thank you everyone. Have a great weekend and are you Sunday.

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen
    Thank you to all who sat and will sit!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Thank you all - I could not get to join the hangout for some reason but I was with you live on youtube Thank you Jundo for your talk I am now going to get myself a cup of coffee and go with the flow!!!

Gassho

David

Thanks to everyone who sat or will sit...deep bows.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you guys, see you in the ordination ceremony

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Thank all who sat and will sit. Have a nice weekend

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Jundo and everyone practicing,
    Gassho
    Myoku

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thanks to our ancestral teachers, Jundo, all who sit, pets with squeak toys, and all sentient beings. Wonderful Zazenkai and teachings Jundo.

Deep gassho,
    Eric

A question was asked by Arnold about the footnotes in the Nishijima Roshi-Chodo Cross translation which point to the verb yadosu/yadoru. They are two tenses of the same verb which mean something like "shelter, accommodate, give dwelling to", and our nice expressions in Japanese which express that a mirror "accommodates/gives dwelling to" the reflection held there, or that the moon "dwells in/is accommodated by" the water holding its reflection. It is just a very nice term for reflection, something like how we might say in English "the dew drops give home to the light of the moon".

Master Dogen then goes a bit further, and also speaks of an intimacy even beyond and through such ... where the moon in the sky and the water below are not apart, the mirror and all displayed within are not two, each also intimately one.

I hope that helps.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-09-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Mp
    Thanks for the clarification Jundo.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you all for sitting together! Thank you Jundo for the Dharma talk and the others for the questions.

Gassho,
    Shinka

I finally got to sit this one last night. Excellent talk. Thanks to all what sat.

Gassho,
    William

Hopefully I will be able to sit a good chunk of this tomorrow. I never have the adequate privacy to do an entire monthly zazenkai, though I at least try to sit the duration of it throughout the week. I am pretty caught up with most weekly sits, though. Happy to be sitting with you all.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you Jundo, thank you all for this sitting
    Gassho
    Gi shu- George.

Wonderful talk and sit. Thank you.

Gassho,

Risho

Thank you Jundo.

Zazen and trucks = priceless.

Gassho,
    Edward

Thanks a lot for your practice.
    And - as always - what a great Dharma Talk, Jundo!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added