Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Zazen this SUNDAY NIGHT with Rev. KOUN FRANZ! - Need 6 Participants to Commit

Special Zazen this SUNDAY NIGHT with Rev. KOUN FRANZ! - Need 6 Participants to Commit

ATTENTION: DUE TO A SICK CHILD IN KOUN'S HOUSE, WE MUST MAKE A LAST MINUTE RESCHEDULING OF THIS EVENT TO ANOTHER DAY. NOT SURE YET WHEN, PLEASE CHECK BACK.

I HAVE INFORMED KOUN THAT SICK KIDS ARE AT THE HEART OF OUR PRACTICE AT TREELEAF, SO WE COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND AND ARE SITTING FOR HIS FAST RECOVERY.

Dear All,

It is an old tradition to have visiting Teachers come to other Sangha to offer a talk and lead Zazen. I pleased to say that, this Sunday Night (America Time) May 26th, the Rev. Koun Franz will be doing so at Treeleaf!

First, a word about logistics ...

Koun's Zazen and Talk will commence from 11am Japan time Monday morning, which is New York 10pm, Los Angeles 7pm (Sunday night). Unfortunately, because the world is round, that is London 3am and Paris 5am (early Monday morning), that may make it difficult for any of our members in Europe to join live this time, for which I apologize.

The sesshin will be 60 to 90 minutes long, and consist of 30 minutes of Zazen, a talk by Rev. Koun, and then a Q&A from those there.

I need 5 individuals, all familiar with how a Google+ Hangout works, who can firmly commit now to being with us live to join the Hangout for Koun's Talk. Please post below if you can so commit, and I will contact you. We want to fill the seats for his talk.

Now, a word about Koun Franz ...

Koun Franz is a Sōtō Zen priest born in Helena, Montana. He has spent more than half of his adult life in Japan. He was ordained in 2001, then trained at Zuioji and Shogoji monasteries. From 2006 to 2010, he served as resident priest of the Anchorage Zen Community. Two years ago, Koun and his family moved back to Japan (Kumamoto), where he studies, trains, lectures, and does Buddhist-related translation work. He is also a practitioner of sewing the Nyoho-e Kesa, as we are at Treeleaf. His always very interesting blog is ...

http://nyoho.com/

Koun is a great champion of preserving the Ways and Traditions of monastic Practice, and has been very active in organizing an international Ango, a three month special Retreat period, at Shogoji Temple in Japan to host non-Japanese priests and teach them the traditional ways of Japanese Soto Zen. He hosted our Mongen at Shogoji for a week or so a couple of years ago. At the same time, Koun is a dad with small kids, and believes in the Practice of Daily Life too.

Even if you cannot join us as part of the Hangout, I hope that all our Sangha members will join us with the recorded version later, or via the live netcast which will be broadcast at the above times (I will post the screen in this forum at netcast time).

We hope that Koun will be the first of many guest speakers and Zazen leaders to visit us. Already, my Dharma Brothers Brad Warner and Gustav Ericsson (who is also a Christian minister) have agreed to offer Zazen here this summer. I will try to schedule the next visit on Europe time!

Gassho, Jundo

Koun:

Last edited by Jundo; 05-26-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

this is a really awesome idea! I will be sitting, but no webcam.
    gassho,
    justin

Cool, I will be sitting but no webcam here too

- Sam

Mp
    I can be there for sure Jundo if you need me.

Gassho
    Shingen

I'll be there too Jundo, though also webcam-less.

Gassho,
    John

Just to highlight ... for the "webcamless" people and others who will not be in the "Hangout" live, a screen for the live netcast will be posted on a thread in this forum shortly before the netcast starts.

Gassho, J

Despite being in the UK I would like to commit to this

Gassho

David

Ditto. I'd like to join if possible.

Early start, but holiday in the UK on Monday.

Gassho
    Matt

I can commit to this. Count me in. I have to miss the live Friday/Saturday Zazenkai this weekend, so this will be an excellent makeup, of sorts.

Gassho,
    William

That's the Treeleaf Sangha Spirit!

Okay, I could so far Michael (Shingen), Jenell, MattW and William. If anything comes up between now and then, please try to let me know early as we want the seats full for our first guest.

David, I would like to include you too ... but do you have a camera, and are you set up for Hangout on Google+ ??

Gassho, J

Well, I feel bad about having to miss Zazenkai this week. But a good friend of mine and I are making a quick trip to Boston to sit in Fenway Park Friday night to see the Red Sox play the Indians. Go Tribe!

gassho,
    william

I will be there. If I'm correct, it will be Sunday Nigth 9:00 PM Mexico City Time

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Yes to both

Gassho

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    That's the Treeleaf Sangha Spirit!

Okay, I could so far Michael (Shingen), Jenell, MattW and William. If anything comes up between now and then, please try to let me know early as we want the seats full for our first guest.

David, I would like to include you too ... but do you have a camera, and are you set up for Hangout on Google+ ??

Gassho, J

Hi David,

Wonderful, I will put you down for the 5th seat, which fills the room. You do realize that it is in the middle of the night for you.

Koshin, may I put you down as "first on the waiting list" in case one of our other folks suddenly can't make it?

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Koshin View Post
    I will be there. If I'm correct, it will be Sunday Nigth 9:00 PM Mexico City Time

Gassho
    Sí, señor. A las 9 de la noche. Así nos ahorramos la espantosa Hora Nacional. JA!

<English version begins>

Yes, sir. 9:00 PM. This way we won't have to listen to the horrible National Hour (the government propaganda radio show that all stations are forced to broadcast). HAH!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

WOW, what an oportunity and what a treat you have set up for us Jundo!!!!!!!!!! Thank you ever so much .
    It's very, very early but I will sure try to attend. Can't commit to the live session though. Wish I could. Very sorry about that.
    Oh boy, hardly can wait!!!

Gassho

Enkyo

That's gonna be cool!
    Too late/early (depending on ones point of view) to be there live for me, but will sit with you guys with the recording.

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Sí, señor. A las 9 de la noche. Así nos ahorramos la espantosa Hora Nacional. JA!

<English version begins>

Yes, sir. 9:00 PM. This way we won't have to listen to the horrible National Hour (the government propaganda radio show that all stations are forced to broadcast). HAH!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Exacto

Hi David,

Koshin, may I put you down as "first on the waiting list" in case one of our other folks suddenly can't make it?

Gassho, J
    Ok, no problem

Yugen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenell View Post
    I'm still new and confused.
    Jenell
    And that makes you different from the rest of us how...? :-D

Signed,
    - confused in midcoast Maine
    Last edited by Yugen; 05-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Why does that make you any different from the rest of us?

Signed,
    - confused in midcoast Maine
    I agree Yugen ... we are all new and confused. This morning I think I was mastering that state of being.

Gassho
    Shingen

I will be there live, with a webcam if there are spots open (I think it supports 10?). If not, I will still be watching live. See you then!
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

I should be able to make it live, if there are seats available. Jundo, I noticed that you stated that 5 fills the room. I thought that google+ supported 10 people during a hangout, is that correct?

Due to a chance of plans, and a very generous heart (and despite my reminder that we are all always "beginners paying our dues"), our Jenell has decided to sit with the Zazenkai a bit later.

So Koshin ... you are now off the "waiting list" and have your seat reserved, front and center.

And Kaishin ... let's get you in there too! (I miscounted the number of available seats!! ).

That means that our folks will be Shingen, David, MattW and William, Kaishin and Koshin. Koun and I take two, and Yugen and Dosho will be there.

I have to be there to push the computer buttons and host Koun, or I would give up my seat.

I think I will ask one of the priests or pre-priests (Dosho and Yugen) to yield a seat to Arnold if he can be there. Arnold, you have a camera and know how to Hangout I believe. Can you make it as a firm commitment?

Gassho, J

PS - If anyone wants to slip the Maître d $50, I will get you a table near the window.
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-23-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Yugen
    I will be happy to yield my "seat" if Arnold can make it.

Gassho
    Yugen

That is really close to my bed time, but I will try to log on and watch live. I can also serve as an emergency alternate backup zafu filler.

PS - If anyone wants to slip the Maître d $50, I will get you a table near the window.
    <Quickly looks in wallet.... damn, I have $3. I guess I'll be looking through the window instead! lol>
    Last edited by Nengyo; 05-23-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post

<English version begins>

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Aww man, I wish the U.S. had a mandatory one hour propaganda show! That would be such a train wreck that I might actually watch it!

<Spanish version begins>

Mi hermana compró un pedazo de queso. Yo soy un piloto. Mi padre tiene un coche. Mis calcetines no coinciden con mis pantalones.

(Note; It's been 14 years since I studied Spanish, so some phrases were replaced with more common but similar phrases from the school house)
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post

Mi hermana compró un pedazo de queso. Yo soy un piloto. Mi padre tiene un coche. Mis calcetines no coinciden con mis pantalones.

Hmmm. I don't speak Spanish, but it appears that you have said something about a friend, some cheese and a pair of pants. That does not exactly sound like a happy coincidence of events, but I could be mistaken.

Gassho,
    William

Thank you Jenell, but I think I am as new and confused as you It will be an honor to be there live, but don't expect much questioning by my side, I can read English, but I can't speak it

I wish my english was as good as Nengyo's Spanish

Gassho

Jundo, very nice of you to try to create a seat for me and I see Yugen is willing give his up. However, as kind as this is, I do not want to take anyone else's seat. I will view from the link here at Treeleaf.

I will be happy to yield my "seat" if Arnold can make it.

Gassho
    Yugen
    Very generous of you Yugen. However, I would not feel right taking your seat. After all, you are senior to me in the Sangha and itis proper that you should sit ahead of me the Zendo. I will view from the link on Treeleaf. Once again thank you but please enjoy the Zazenkai yourself and I will be sitting along with you from the cameraless link on Treeleaf.

With Gratitude,
    Arnold

Hi Arnold,

I asked Yugen and you should have the seat. I just want to make sure that you can be there, have a camera, and are set up on Hangouts.

There is no senior discount either.

Gassho, J

Yugen
    Arnold wrote:
    "I would not feel right taking your seat. After all, you are senior to me in the Sangha and itis proper that you should sit ahead of me the Zendo.
    "

Arnold,
    I appreciate your kind gesture - however, this is not a matter of seniority.... I do not recognize such a hierarchy... if anything, to be precise my position as a "senior member" places a responsibility upon me to be of service wherever I can to my brothers and sisters, a lowering of my own position so that I step back wherever possible. I would be very pleased for you to attend - it is a sign of my commitment not only to you but to my Sangha - and please recognize that an act of giving (to be complete) is accompanied by an act of gracious acceptance - it is genuinely my pleasure to give you my seat (it was never mine to begin with) and you are giving me an opportunity to practice so I am the one who must thank you....

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 05-24-2013 at 03:20 AM.

Arnold wrote:
    "I would not feel right taking your seat. After all, you are senior to me in the Sangha and itis proper that you should sit ahead of me the Zendo.
    "

Arnold,
    I appreciate your kind gesture - however, this is not a matter of seniority.... I do not recognize such a hierarchy... if anything, to be precise my position as a "senior member" places a responsibility upon me to be of service wherever I can to my brothers and sisters, a lowering of my own position so that I step back wherever possible. I would be very pleased for you to attend - it is a sign of my commitment not only to you but to my Sangha - and please recognize that an act of giving (to be complete) is accompanied by an act of gracious acceptance - it is genuinely my pleasure to give you my seat (it was never mine to begin with) and you are giving me an opportunity to practice so I am the one who must thank you....

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Yugen,

Your response is so humbling. When I first saw Jundo's post on Koun's visit I just thought "get in quick!", so your post just reminds of the precepts not to elevate one'self above others and to give generously.

My thanks for this reminder by example.

With a deep bow

David

I am still a google+ virgin but hope to be connected in real time, just not one of the 'officially' present.
    Many thanks for the opportunity.

I look forward to the resit. I would have loved to be there live, but I am driving to Boston and back on Sunday so I plan to be asleep by ten.

Great, Jundo -- see you all then. And Jenell, yes there will be a link to a view-only version of the event from Jundo's initial post in this thread. So anyone can watch and sit "live" without having to be on Google+ with a camera, etc. Hope that answers your question.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Yugen
    "When I first saw Jundo's post on Koun's visit I just thought "get in quick!", so your post just reminds of the precepts not to elevate one'self above others and to give generously."

David,
    I went through the same thought process myself - get to the head of the line so as not to miss out - time and the opportunity for reflection and practice created by the positive response of our sisters and brothers was of great help - Jennell's gracious gesture started it all and I owe her a deep bow of gratitude. I do not come by humility easily, it is important for me to have you all to practice with. I am glad you are joining us - we can support one another! I need (and indeed ask for) the gentle but firm reminders to challenge ourselves that practice together provides.

Deep bows
    Yugen

"Arnold,

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Yugen, I graciously accept. Your generosity is humbling and I thank you, not only for the seat, but also, for this lesson.

With Gratitude,

Arnold
    Last edited by arnold; 05-25-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Hi Arnold,

I asked Yugen and you should have the seat. I just want to make sure that you can be there, have a camera, and are set up on Hangouts.

There is no senior discount either.

Gassho, J
    Jundo, I will be there live and I am set up for google+. Very kind of both you and Yugen, to offer me this seat, it makes me think a bit of the old Mike Myer's SNL "Wayne's World skit: "I am not worthy, I am not worthy...".

Gassho,
    Arnold

ATTENTION: DUE TO A SICK CHILD IN KOUN'S HOUSE, WE MUST MAKE A LAST MINUTE RESCHEDULING OF THIS EVENT TO ANOTHER DAY. NOT SURE YET WHEN, PLEASE CHECK BACK.

I HAVE INFORMED KOUN THAT SICK KIDS ARE AT THE HEART OF OUR PRACTICE AT TREELEAF, SO WE COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND AND ARE SITTING FOR HIS FAST RECOVERY.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-26-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Mp
    Thank you for the update Jundo ... no worries at this end. I will be there and if we have to reschedule, we reschedule ... will sit for the sick little one and will be there when all is better.

Gassho
    Shingen

Gassho, J

Understood. Thanks Jundo.

I hope nothing serious. Best wishes and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Gassho
    Matt

Thank you Jundo, hope that little kid gets well soon. Metta

Gassho

Sent from Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast