Thread: Life Of Master Dogen

ZenO

Life Of Master Dogen

Hello All,

Im new here and just wanted to say Hi .

As Im here thought I would share this film with you, don't know if its been posted before??

Gassho

Owen

I have a copy of this on DVD. I like the film quite a bit, even though it takes a few liberties with some of the biographical details of Dogen's life. But it is certainly worth seeing. The scenes of Dogen in China are great.

Gassho,

William

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by William Anderson View Post
    I have a copy of this on DVD. I like the film quite a bit, even though it takes a few liberties with some of the biographical details of Dogen's life. But it is certainly worth seeing. The scenes of Dogen in China are great.

Gassho,

William
    I too enjoyed it, but yes, some stretching of details were there.

Gassho
    Shingen

Actually, it came up just earlier today, along with some other Zen and Buddhist films ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...-must-see-film

Below is my short review of the Master Dogen movie.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post20686

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-25-2013 at 04:43 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

yes...well...nice fiction with a lot of goodies.

The awakening moment is...hilarious.

Denpo ceremony is very faithful to the real procedure, and the shiho ( trnasmission silk document) seen on the screen is a faithful copy of the real one ( I have it as a copy coming from Nishijima).

Good moments and wonderful words uttered by the Kabuki actor who plays Dogen.

gassho

Taigu

I watched this movie a few months ago and liked it. I think it is a good way to introduce someone specifically to this branch of Buddhism, if they have the interest. A bit corny at parts, but I know I'm an extreme cynic so I'm starting to just watch movies and keep my mouth shut.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.