Thread: What do we mean when we say "take refuge"

What do we mean when we say "take refuge"

Alana's selection of an excerpt from the Platform Sutra over at Dailyzen.com this month is very timely for the ordainees in the upcoming forth Tree Leaf Shukke Tokudo ceremony. It also is good reading for those who aspire to Jukai this year and all the rest of us beginners who may have forgotten who we are.

http://www.dailyzen.com/zen/zen_reading1304.asp
    Our nature is pure like the clear sky above, and our wisdom is like the sun and moon. Our wisdom is always shining, but if externally we become attached to objects, the clouds of delusion cover up our nature, and we can't see it.
    Taking refuge is not just a passive acceptance of a belief system, but rather a very active engagement each day in awareness and the actions based on that awareness.
    gassho, Shokai
    Last edited by Shokai; 04-17-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Mp
    Very nice Shokai, thank you.

Gassho
    Shingen

Perfect Shokai!
    Much needed and thank you!

Gassho
    Shohei

Thank you!

Gassho,

Risho

Thanks Shokai. Every time I come here I learn something from my many teachers.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you. These are things I cannot be reminded of often enough.

gassho,
    william

Quote Originally Posted by William Anderson View Post
    Thank you. These are things I cannot be reminded of often enough.
    Agreed!

Thanks, Shokai.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Taking refuge is not just a passive acceptance of a belief system, but rather a very active engagement each day in awareness and the actions based on that awareness.
    Thank you Shokai. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Yugen
    Thank you Shokai - deep bows

Yugen

I had forgotten about that website. Thank you for posting, Shokai. Very good reading.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you for sharing, Shokai.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Thanks so much, Shokai. I have been reflecting on the meaning of "refuge" a lot lately but have been struggling to articulate a sense of some deeper meaning I have been feeling for some time. Interestingly enough, the idea of refuge being very active kept coming up. With your help I now have a bit of clarity on what I have been feeling. So my new found understanding of taking refuge is as follows:

Refuge is not simply a part of practice that occurs in a discreet moment each day, for example when reciting the Refuge Vows in the morning. It is truly the entirety of our practice. The entirety of our life is taking refuge; is living our vow, embodying our vow. Therefore, we are taking refuge when we sit, when we comfort a crying loved one, when we respond to the needs we witness in the world.

Once again thank you so much. I can't express how wonderful entering practice with the Treeleaf Sangha is turning out to be. Thank you everyone.

Beautiful That's great Arnold and I'm glad I was able to tweek your mind. One gets a nice warm feeling when something like that clicks in. However, for all of us beginners it's a good practice to also talk things over with Jundo or Taigu once in a while to get a fix on real verification. Thank you for joining this sangha and for your practice.

gasho, Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Shokai; very kind of you. I will take your advice of reaching out to the teachers to heart.