Thread: My little lesson on attachment

My little lesson on attachment

So yesterday my Nexus 7 decided to go ahead and stay powered off forever.

At first, I was annoyed. Then I was about to get angry but I was able to recognize that and just let it go before it could culminate. So that was nice.

But then I got re-annoyed when I thought about the apps I had installed and not having access to them anymore. How much easier it is to check Treeleaf (where the app has be already logged in) from my tablet than it is to go to the website, go to the forum, and then login using my desktop. This made me realize just how lazy I had become if something this small was an annoyance for me.

Then I thought about the insight timer and how it kept track of all my mediation sessions...gone! But of course that made me realize that for that to bother me, it must mean that I had put some kind of premium on the number and frequency of sessions which, of course, I had. Zazen had become almost a competitive thing where I had to record every session for posterity or something. So today I just sat and nothing and nobody recorded it. It is almost as if it didn't even happen.

I will be sending the broken tablet back to the manufacturer and hopefully it will be repaired soon enough.

But I think it will be nice to not have it for a little while.

enjoy the break! I remember when I had (foolishly, knowing my attachment to music) gotten an ipod, which I stored my entire collection of music on. music I didn't need, music I didn't like, music I had to have just to have, and always needed more and more music. my ipod breaking (for good) was a blessing.

Mp
    Oohhh technology, what a wonderful teacher you are.

Gassho
    Shingen

Problems with a Nexus 7?

That means you have food in your fridge, a roof over your head, clothes, okay health, fingers to type, and other needs are covered.

You have way more than millions of people in the world.

The tablet is just a thing. Nothing more than that.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Heh. The only internet access I have is a desktop computer, and the power unit was acting funny last month. I got a friend's husband to repair it (free!) but the part had to be ordered. So basically I was without the internet for a week. It felt so uncomfortable the first day . . . and then it became more like a vacation. I'd like to go internet-free more often; I was even going to schedule days where I wouldn't touch it. Hasn't happened yet though.

Gassho

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Problems with a Nexus 7?

That means you have food in your fridge, a roof over your head, clothes, okay health, fingers to type, and other needs are covered.

You have way more than millions of people in the world.

The tablet is just a thing. Nothing more than that.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    With all due respect, I may be misreading this but it seems like a passive-aggressive swipe at me. I wasn't saying that I lost something akin to food or shelter. I said I lost a thing (yes, just a thing) and learned a little something about myself in the process. The Nexus was a gift so it has no bearing on my food, shelter, or health situation and isn't indicative of any of those things.

Sorry if it sounded like an aggression.

It wasn't. I'll be more careful next time.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Sorry if it sounded like an aggression.

It wasn't. I'll be more careful next time.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    I apologize for misunderstanding your words. I hope I didn't offend you.

Hehe

Gassho, Kaishin
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

wonderful, hbhippo,
    sounds a bit like me
    Gassho
    Myoku