Thread: Instructions to sit from Koun Franz

Instructions to sit from Koun Franz

I kindly recommand you to read the following essay of Koun Franz on his Nyoho blog:

http://nyoho.com/2013/04/07/an-attem...ons-for-zazen/

The directions and instructions he gives for zazen are simply amazing.

Gassho to all

Taigu

Hello Taigu,

great stuff indeed. I mentioned it to the Tea Party attendees yesterday. Deep without being pretentious, and that's the way I like it (and Ryokan would agree I feel )

Gassho and thanks for sharing,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Thank you for posting this link. It is a wonderful reflection and truly has made me reflect on my sitting. I had not heard of either Sitting in Practice or Verification before. Gassho.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thanks Taigu. These words go deep in my belly. I'll need to digest them.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Thanks a lot, Taigu!

"Do not make zazen — let sitting reveal itself."
    Very nice! I think I'll follow his blog.

Gassho,

Timo
    Last edited by Daitetsu; 04-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    no thing needs to be added

Allow zazen to sit you...is my take.

yes, this guy is great and his teachings both original and truly traditionnal.

I look at Koun as being one of my teachers.

gassho

Taigu

Hi,
    In truth, I think "Allow Zazen to sit you" is a more direct expression of the truth than "Do not make zazen".
    Gassho
    Myozan

We are in the process of asking Koun to offer a little talk for us, maybe even lead a Zazenkai. We are working out the logistics now, and I hope it can happen soon.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Wonderful post Taigu, thank you.

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen
    "Let sitting reveal itself" - the first thought that popped up for me upon reading this was to "let life reveal itself.." Today the best thing I can do is get out of my own way....

Thank you for this Taigu.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Thank you for sharing this Taigu.

Be the tree beneath which other buddhas sit.
    Beautiful.

Gassho
    Matt

Taigu Sensei, let me join the chorus of thank yous for this post and connection.

gassho,
    Robert
    and neither are they otherwise.

Wow. This is really quite beautiful. MattW, I also was awestruck by the line you quoted.

Gassho,
    Wiliam

Very beautiful indeed. Thank you, Taigu.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

That is superb.

Gassho,

Risho

Thank you for this.

Gassho
    Heishu

Thank you, Taigu & Jundo.
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Roots penetrate and plunge downward into the rough textures of the earth. A cloud dissolves into open sky.

Gassho
    Daizan

Cool. It will be nice to hear a talk from a teacher than you or Taigu for a change (not that I have any complaints about your talks).

Rafael
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We are in the process of asking Koun to offer a little talk for us, maybe even lead a Zazenkai. We are working out the logistics now, and I hope it can happen soon.

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you for this talk. I have bookmarked it already.

Gassho,

Simon
    Last edited by Jakugan; 04-09-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo

could someone offer an explanation of "sitting in practice" and "sitting in verification"?

thanks, gassho,

Robert
    and neither are they otherwise.

You can look it up

http://bit.ly/ZMOfJl

gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank for posting this Taigu. I too have bookmarked it for future reference as well.

Gassho.
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Hi all,

Here's a question. In reading this article and in traditional thought, we should sit straight, pelvis tucked, but relaxed. In traditonal Zen schools, one's posture is corrected, however, I sometimes find myself slouching during zazen and feel comfortable. I have some great sits out of correct posture. Can this "slouching" posture be ok?
    Gassho,
    Onken

Hi Onken,

Quote Originally Posted by Onken View Post
    I have some great sits out of correct posture. Can this "slouching" posture be ok?
    The thing is what do you consider a "great sit" (vs. "bad sit")? IMHO we should drop all judgments of good or bad - we just sit. No sit is better or worse than another.

I assume you mean a sit with lots of blue sky (vs. stormy sits). My personal take is this: if you have lots of blue sky slouching, then slouch! (supposed this does not cause any pain or damages your body).
    I am pretty sure this is not the traditional way though and many teachers will disagree.

As soon as I slouch during sitting, this leads to back pain, so I always take care to sit upright (not military style though).

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Onken View Post
    Hi all,

Here's a question. In reading this article and in traditional thought, we should sit straight, pelvis tucked, but relaxed. In traditonal Zen schools, one's posture is corrected, however, I sometimes find myself slouching during zazen and feel comfortable. I have some great sits out of correct posture. Can this "slouching" posture be ok?
    This is a great question because I'm probably a little bit of a slouch. I always seem to be making adjustments so I feel comfortable and balanced. So if you feel comfortable the slouching may just be an idea and not real anymore. I think you just have to figure it out for yourself.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

ive always heard about things such as the rigidness and strictness of zen, and that you MUST sit up as straight as possible during meditation. what ive gathered from taigus video and from other teachers, is to sit more naturally? not necessarly slouching, but the spine does bend some? please correct me if I misunderstood. gassho, Justin.

I'm not Jundo or Taigu, but I say yes, jus. It is best to sit naturally, but upright.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Slouching, no. Rigidity, no. A natural vertical spine without tension and a well orientated zafu. Good or bad zazen is an irrelevant stuff.

Check my vids again, an AT teacher would put you on a great track for sitting the body-mind. So would your own exploration and patience. But it is so easy to fool oneself as to if the sitting is balanced or not.

Gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 04-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.

sorry, that is what I ment, I think. a natural position. natural, not slouching, not too rigid. Im still learning and going through all of the videos here. gassho, Justin.

http://nyoho.com/2013/04/07/an-attem...ons-for-zazen/

I so appreciate this link, a beautiful description.....thank you.
    Gassho,
    Marina sat today

Oh, this is really wonderful!

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank Taigu, merci beaucoup !
    I appreciate your recommandations...

Thank you graciously Taigu. These instructions are so meaningful in helping me understand Zazen. I have been learning a great deal from the teachings and videos for new beginners and this compliments them perfectly.

Gassho
    Dali.
    May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
    May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
    May all beings rejoice in the well-being of others.
    May all beings live in peace, free from greed and hatred.