Thread: Giving birth to a child.

Giving birth to a child.

"Understand the meaning of gives birth to a child. At the moment of giving birth to a child, is the mother separate from the child? Study not only that you become a mother when your child is born, but also that you become a child. This is to actualize giving birth in practice-realization." - Dogen, Shobo Genzo, Mountains and Waters Sutra.

Wow. This is beautiful!

Gassho, John

Yes, John, and just beautiful-true. This clearly gives our life-action and relationship to the universe acomplete different span. The more I read Dogen, the more it hits me.

gassho

Taigu

So true John! And souch wisdom. Taking your first born in your hands for the first time, really makes you feel like a child again. All you thought you knew is of no use anymore and you must see, learn and meet the world all over again. Amazing, no?

Gassho

Enkyo

Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Mp
    Beautiful John.

Gassho
    Shingen

Good find, John,
    another deep and beautiful picture.
    _()_
    Myoku

At the moment of giving birth to a child, is the mother separate from the child?

A son born at 26 weeks by C section. Almost slipping out of the doctor's grasp. Under 2 lbs. The sounds of an unbuffered world, harsh air, harsh lights, intubation, an enveloping heart beat gone. .....born into the world.

Dogen seems to be talking about half of it. Is the mother separate from the child? ...no, never. No separation. Is the mother separate from the child? yes, by a painful gulf.

Both are true.

Gassho,
    Daizan
    Last edited by RichardH; 03-31-2013 at 09:37 PM.

I once heard that the most perfectly imperfect gift to a mother is a child with Downs Syndrome. A child that is aways a child, never older than 13, never going to Harvard.

Gassho, John