Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retreat in United States

Yugen

Retreat in United States

Hello all!
    Planning for the August 9-14 retreat is moving along and I would like to share the following information:

1) The cost for the retreat will be 240. USD. This translates to a cost of 40. USD per day. The funds will be spent on food, supplies, and a contribution for logistics (utilities - water, electric, etc at Dokan's house) for the retreat. Unexpended funds will be donated to a charity of our choosing. If you are attending for less than the full six days, the cost of attendance will be number of days you are attending x 40. USD. Instructions for payment will be forthcoming, as we are setting up a dedicated account for the retreat (two Unsui will manage the retreat account). Deposits will be accepted as of March 1.

2) A 100. USD deposit is requested by May 15 to indicate commitment to the retreat, with the remainder to be submitted by July 1. Anyone who decides to attend the retreat and commit after July 1 is respectfully requested to pay the full amount at time of registration. We would really like to avoid last minute registrants as we are guests in Dokan's home - planning for practice/sleeping space is important, and the menu is being planned in advance. We recognize that plans do change - if someone makes a commitment and then is unable to attend, a full refund will be made.

3) If you are interested in registering and making a deposit, please PM or email me at yugenmutsu@gmail.com . I will provide payment instructions (after March 1) and a short registration form which will request emergency contact instructions as well as any medical information which may be relevant. Please be sure your health insurance provides coverage for this locale - if you are traveling in from outside the US please be advised that additional trip-specific health insurance may be required!

4) The retreat will be practiced in silence. Conversation is possible at certain times, such as following dinner, and during Dokusan, but please remember the purpose of our coming together. I am posting below a sample schedule for one day of the retreat. All other days will resemble this one, with the exception of the final day, which will include and Ordination ceremony and celebration. Please note that there is time at the end of the day for mobile phone / computer use. For attendees from Europe, it will be possible to use time to make calls briefly in the morning upon rising or following lunch. Please be judicious in the use of your devices and make arrangements as much as possible to immerse yourself in personal and technical silence!

5) Please remember that arrival airport is IAD. It would be best to schedule arrival on the afternoon of 8 August as the retreat will start early on the 9th. As we collect arrival information we can make ridesharing arrangements for folks to Dokan's home. Sleeping accomodations will be separate for females and males. This is a no-smoking and alcohol/chemical-free retreat. We will make a small outdoor smoking area available at day's end, but again, please be judicious. We will be enjoying alcoholic beverages (in moderation) for those who choose to do so following the Ordination ceremony on the 14th.

Here is a sample of the schedule:

5: 30 : waking up
    6: 00 - 6:40: zazen
    6:45-7:25: zazen
    7:30-8:15: zazen
    8:15-8:45: ceremony
    8:45-9:00: free time
    9:00-9:30: breakfast
    9:30-10:00: coffee tea /dokusan
    10:00-12:00: sewing /samu
    12:00-12:30 :lunch
    12: 30-13:30: rest
    13:30-14:10: zazen
    14:15-15:00: zazen
    15:00-17:00: sewing/ samu
    17:00-18:00: circle and teaching
    18:00-19:00 : freetime dokusan
    19:00-20:00: diner /coffee tea
    20:00-20:40: zazen
    20:45-21:30: fukanzazenji in Japanese
    21:30-22:30: freetime (phone and computer check-in)

22:30: bedtime

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Deep bows,
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 02-05-2014 at 04:32 AM.

Great work, Yugen. Well done.

I'll be there and will pay my $100 deposit in the next few weeks.

Gassho

PS: everyone travelling from outside the US (that are non-US citizens) will need to be fully certain that they have filled out the various Homeland Security forms online. Whatever your feelings on privacy and data protection, you will NOT be allowed into the US without complying. I know people that have been sent back to Ireland because their paperwork was not in order. So, be warned. Gassho.

Thank you!
    I will make my deposit next Friday.
    Thanks for the heads up for the security forms, been awhile since I traveled state side (2006)and had no clue!

Gassho
    Shohei

Yugen
    Hi Shohei,
    We will be able to accept deposits on/after March 1. We have to set up a dedicated account in which to receive and account for the receipts. Thank you!

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 02-05-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Hi Shohei,
    As a Canadian you might have special arrangements with the US. Not sure.
    Gassho
    Myozan

PORTION HIGHLIGHTED TURNED OUT THE BE FALSE RUMOR. SEE MY FOLLOW-UP POSTING BELOW!

Let me mention that I plan to announce, and start making arrangements to visit our members during, my "Dharma Drive Across America". I will do that in a few days. Again, in making the announcement, I will make it clear that I will only visit people who have a good reason why they cannot participate in the Washington Retreat. I will try to encourage people to attend Washington if they can.

August will be an eventful month!

By the way, just back from Roshi's Wake (last night) and funeral (today). It was a sweet time, without about 50 or so of Roshi's Japanese students coming, and Peter Rocca, Gerhard Wolfram and I representing the foreign students. Although the family wanted a standard Soto-shu funeral, the priest was very nice and very clearly made the funeral in the name of "Nishijima Gudo Wafu Osho" each time his name appeared during the chanting, and after explained that he had performed a funeral for a priest.

There is an issue that Soto-shu deregistered Roshi while he was sick for failing to pay some fees! While we don't really care about what Soto-shu does, several of the Japanese Dharma Heirs want to press the issue with Soto-shu, and asked me to do so with Soto-shu USA. I intend to do so. Even though Soto-shu means nothing, I also do not want them to treat Roshi lightly.

It was a lovely two days. Many familiar old faces.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-07-2014 at 03:14 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello,

Thanks for the moment-view of the wake/funeral.

Deregistered. Hmmmmm.

Hope Soto-shu wakes up.

Will attend Washington if possible.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for the moment-view of the wake/funeral.

Deregistered. Hmmmmm.

Hope Soto-shu wakes up.

Will attend Washington if possible.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    Yes. Apparently for failing to pay some "annual dues" to them while he was in a near coma the last several years.

Gassho, J

Thanks for the info Jundo and deep bows to the presiding priest at the funeral.

I think I'll keep my thoughts on the Soto-shu to myself and chant the verse of atonement a few times.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank You for the Update Jundo.

Gassho
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Thank you Jundo; our thoughts are with all who mourn the passing of a beloved teacher this day.
    And be thankful you are not driving in 18 inches of snow as we are today.
    gassho, Shokai

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jundo. Surprised and disgusted by the whole "deregistered" situation.

Gassho
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    Thanks for the heads up for the security forms, been awhile since I traveled state side (2006)and had no clue!
    Shohei,

I am far from an authority, but I do believe Myozan is correct that the US and Canada have different border crossing arrangements than with other countries. Check this site for more info:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

In New York we have an "enhanced drivers license" you can get to make border crossings easier (I plan to get one). Some Canadian provinces have the same thing; I don't know about New Brunswick. If they don't, I believe the site above indicates that a valid Canadian passport is sufficient to gain entry to the US via land or sea. But check with local authorities!

I hope that is helpful.

Gassho,
    Dosho

P.S. Here is a more comprehensive website that seems to agree with what I stated above: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas.html
    Last edited by Dosho; 02-05-2014 at 07:24 PM.

I would love to attend the retreat but I do not know this far in advance if I will be able to do so. Sounds like it will be a great experience to attend!

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

Thanks Dosho!
    Ill check it all out, I am tidying up another trip around the sun in a couple of weeks and its time for me to renew my driver's license and I will also apply for my passport again (it ran out 2 years ago). Not that long ago driving across the boarder did not require more than a brief chat and a check of your ID.

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    Thanks Dosho!
    Ill check it all out, I am tidying up another trip around the sun in a couple of weeks and its time for me to renew my driver's license and I will also apply for my passport again (it ran out 2 years ago). Not that long ago driving across the boarder did not require more than a brief chat and a check of your ID.
    Those were the days when you didn't feel like going into Canada (or vice versa) was a big deal. People going to work across the line, going to a baseball game, whatever! When I was a kid we had a field trip to Montreal and we didn't even have any ID; they let us go through. Now it's changed so much because of 9/11. My folks were coming back into the US recently and the person at the booth asked my Dad, rather accusingly, why he was going to a particular town. My Dad replied that he lived there, like it says on his ID. She just gave it back to him not saying a word.

Times, they are a changin'.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Here in Ontario when crossing the border all we need is a valid passport, we have never had an issue.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Mp
    Here in BC we have the advanced drivers licence as well and I used it when I drove to Seattle once with no issues, but that was a few years ago. When I checked they recommend a passport if driving and one must have a passport if flying into the US.

Gassho
    Shingen

Actually, you can use a Nexus card

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Actually, you can use a Nexus card

That's good to know Shokai, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT THE FOLLOWING APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN A FALSE RUMOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    There is an issue that Soto-shu deregistered Roshi while he was sick for failing to pay some fees! While we don't really care about what Soto-shu does, several of the Japanese Dharma Heirs want to press the issue with Soto-shu, and asked me to do so with Soto-shu USA. I intend to do so. Even though Soto-shu means nothing, I also do not want them to treat Roshi lightly.
    I WROTE DIRECTLY TO REV. DAIGAKU RUMME, THE REPRESENTATIVE OF SOTO-SHU IN THE USA. He wrote to say that his assistant’s home temple is where Nishijima Roshi was once listed as the “Jushoku” [Head Priest] many years ago, so he has a special connection with Nishijima Roshi. His assistant said that Nishijima Roshi’s priest registration is still on the books at Shumucho (the Soto-shu Administrative Headquarters). Nishijima's registration is through our Lineage's Root Temple, Tokei-in Temple in Shizuoka. That registration will be taken from the books when Nishijima Roshi’s Death Certificate is received at Shumucho in Tokyo. This is standard procedure for all priests who are registered with Shumucho including, for example, SFZC's Myogen Stucky who died not so long ago. Priests over the age of 80 can be exempted from paying their yearly dues but only if they apply for this exemption and it is accepted by Shumucho. So, to quote Daigaku, "his priest registration is still in place and will only be removed when the death certificate is received in Tokyo."

My apologies for the confusion.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-07-2014 at 03:13 AM.

It's good to be awake.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

As of right now I have a test that Monday (11 August) that kind of throws a wrench in things. We also have a very full school schedule that week. Making things even more difficult is the fact that our schedule changes on occasion and test are pretty much the only thing I can't get around (we are pretty flexible otherwise). My plan for now is to act as if I will be there from 12-14 August. I will pay the deposit etc. and see what happens.

I do have one question. Do you think it would be OK for me to bring my books and study during the dukosan and free periods? I'm not worlds smartest man, so I don't think I could take off three full days from studying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Let me mention that I plan to announce, and start making arrangements to visit our members during, my "Dharma Drive Across America". I will do that in a few days. Again, in making the announcement, I will make it clear that I will only visit people who have a good reason why they cannot participate in the Washington Retreat. I will try to encourage people to attend Washington if they can.

Gassho, J
    Hey Jundo, I'm going to try to make the retreat if there is any way at all possible...however if you want to come visit Atlanta just for fun you are welcome to crash at my place! I can even dig up an old zafu for you!

<Edited for clarity. Apparently I forgot how to use a forum in the past 24 hours>
    Last edited by Nengyo; 02-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Yugen
    Nengyo,
    We'd really like to make it possible for you to attend the retreat - so I am sure a reasonable compromise, or "middle way" can be found to balance your study time and attendance at the retreat. Please plan to attend if you can and we can work on carving out study time - that is its own form of practice.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Yugen
    Dear all,

I'd like to emphasize an important point which I failed to address in the announcements regarding logistics and cost for the retreat.

We do not want financial considerations to be an obstacle to people attending the retreat - and we understand that there are Treeleafers in constrained and/or difficult budgetary circumstances. Taigu, Jundo, the Unsui and I do not want people to be deterred by the cost of attending. We cannot do anything to contain travel costs, but we can work with Sangha members to arrive at workable contributions towards the cost of attendance.

I strongly urge anyone who is seriously considering attending and is trying to make the numbers work, or is in constrained circumstances to contact me via PM or email so we can find a workable solution. As a priest-in-training, any discussions we have are confidential and my only interest is in finding a way for people to attend the retreat.

Treeleaf does not have a budget for funding retreats and / or scholarships so we must ask you to honestly consider what you can contribute towards the cost of attendance. This retreat will be a significant and joyous event - it will be an opportunity for us to meet and practice in person, as well as to celebrate the Ordination of our brothers.

If your intention to attend is serious, we will not permit the cost of attendance to be the limiting factor in your decision to join us. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Hi All,

Sorry for the silence, I've been dealing with family and health issues pretty heavily since mid December. I will absolutely be at the retreat, and will send in my payment in March!

Deep Gassho,
    Seizan

Quote Originally Posted by Seizan View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry for the silence, I've been dealing with family and health issues pretty heavily since mid December. I will absolutely be at the retreat, and will send in my payment in March!

Deep Gassho,
    Seizan
    Hello Seizan,

I hope things are resolving for you and your family,

Gassho

Willow

Mp
    Hello Seizan,

Nice to see you again ... I hope everything works out for you, sitting here with you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Seizan,
    Hope things are getting better. Sounds like you've had some hard times. Look forward to meeting you in the US in the summer.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Seizan View Post
    Hi All,

Deep Gassho,
    Seizan
    Nice to see you back, Seizan. Much metta to you and your family.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Thanks Yugen, count me in for sure!

Seizan, I'm glad to see you again!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

This time of the year is one of the busiest for my family. It will be very difficult for me to attend. at least for the entirety. If there is an option for attending part of the retreat then I will make every effort to do so.

Gassho,

Daijo

I would love to attend, but I hesitate to make a commitment right now. Another possible relocation is looming within the next 3-6 months and that week is the first week of school for my kids. If I can work out logistics, in the next two months; I will try to attend for a portion of the retreat.

I have much respect and gratitude for all who will be attending and all those in the planning phases.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Yugen
    Dear all,
    A Treeleaf Sangha member wishing to remain anonymous has committed to donate a significant sum towards retreat expenses - it is this person's wishes that the donation be used to make it possible for folks in constrained and difficult financial circumstances to attend the retreat. We would like to use this loving and generous donation to assist those in genuinely difficult circumstances to offset the expenses of attending the August retreat. If your intention is sincere, please do PM or email me so we can begin the process of determining how to make your attendance possible.

Attending a retreat of this type does involve not only commitment of time but of resources as well - to put together the funds for the retreat I am giving up dining out, giving up a monthly online subscription and reducing coffee shop visits until I have the funds together. I will also add some extra work hours. It is a good occasion to reflect on my own priorities and budget. Please, in your heart of hearts determine what your genuine need is and we will be here to help.

I'd like to thank our donor with great sincerity and gratitude.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    It is a good occasion to reflect on my own priorities and budget.
    Yugen, such a great reflection ... I too am doing the same and it is amazing to see how we truly can make a difference if we look at what we spend on a day to day basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    I'd like to thank our donor with great sincerity and gratitude.
    Deep bows and many thanks to your donor for their generosity! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Yes, deep bows for the generous donor!

Gassho
    Genshin

To our anonymous donor, deep bows and great thanks.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Yes indeed, many thanks and deep deep bows to our anonymous donor.

Gassho,

Daijo

Thank You to our anonymous donor.

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

I really want to attend this retreat, and financial issues will not prevent it. My employers, on the other hand, are not being remotely cooperative. During the first three weeks in August, I am always required to travel to legal conventions in several southeastern states with partners in my law firm. Because I am the senior, most experienced, member in Florida, they are reluctant to release me from this annual obligation. I may be able to take one or two days between conventions, but even that is not yet guaranteed. My decision may very well come down to the last minute. I wish I could give you more certainty, but I cannot at this juncture. My apologies.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

If I take off from work Friday August 8 and Monday August 11 for travel, I would be able to attend Saturday and Sunday for 2 days on August 9 and 10. Is this sort of thing acceptable?

Gassho, Jishin

Well, maybe I will be able to attend the entire session. I sure would like to. My back is scared of the pain.😄

Gasho, Jishin

Yugen
    Jishin,
    You are welcome for whatever period of time you are able to attend. We would ask that you join the sesshin either at the beginning of the day, or during lunch period. Your back is welcome to bring a seiza bench or use a chair, or both if that is helpful....

Thank you and,
    Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 02-12-2014 at 01:17 AM.

I'm very strongly considering coming to the retreat. I will have to save up, as airfare is quite expensive out of Wyoming. I do have a few questions, as I have never attended a retreat or practiced with a group in person. Is there a particular dress code (i.e. non-descript clothing)? Is there a recommended "packing list" (I presume that meals will be in oryoki fashion and something resembling an oryoki set might be needed)? I sure would hate to show up and be out of compliance with retreat regulations .

Gassho,
    Steven

Don t worry, Steven we wil post instructions to make a simple and yet functionnal oryoki.

I will offer dokusan on a regular basis for people wishing. The atmosphere will be warm, joyous and also very dynamic ( in a good and positive way). No shouts, swearing or anything like that. Circle work, open discusdions, teishos given by the teacher, dokusan and simple interaction.

Feel welcome, it might be a life changing experience for anybody taking part.

Gassho

T.

Hi,

The retreat sounds great, I wish I could attend.

For those of us that cannot make the retreat, due to work, family or financial constraints, will part of the retreat be available on G+?

Gassho,
    Genshin

Yugen

Retreat in United States

Genshin,
    We will endeavor to make significant parts of the retreat available via G+. We will be together regardless of our physical location....

Deep bows
    Yugen

Thank you, Yugen.

Gassho
    Genshin

Yugen

Retreat in United States

Steven,
    In terms of practice clothing there are a few options - you may choose, as some do, to purchase lay robes for sesshin. This is not necessary and it is an additional expense. What I would suggest is comfortable, loose clothing - preferably darker in color - baggy trousers and a t-shirt do just fine. Blue jeans are unsuitable since they tend to be tight and bind things up when sitting Zazen.

You could even take an old utility trouser and dye it dark blue or black. Some sort of trouser that allows you to be comfortable in lotus, burmese, seiza, etc. A pair of dark blue or black sweatpants are fine as well.

I tend to steer away from shorts out of respect. I know Jundo has spoken often of sitting in tshirts and shorts in warm weather - for a short sit this is fine but for a longer sesshin something more respectful is appropriate I think. Jundo or Taigu may pipe in here and I would defer to their guidance.

Hope this helps.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 02-16-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast