Planning for the August 9-14 retreat is moving along and I would like to share the following information:
1) The cost for the retreat will be 240. USD. This translates to a cost of 40. USD per day. The funds will be spent on food, supplies, and a contribution for logistics (utilities - water, electric, etc at Dokan's house) for the retreat. Unexpended funds will be donated to a charity of our choosing. If you are attending for less than the full six days, the cost of attendance will be number of days you are attending x 40. USD. Instructions for payment will be forthcoming, as we are setting up a dedicated account for the retreat (two Unsui will manage the retreat account). Deposits will be accepted as of March 1.
2) A 100. USD deposit is requested by May 15 to indicate commitment to the retreat, with the remainder to be submitted by July 1. Anyone who decides to attend the retreat and commit after July 1 is respectfully requested to pay the full amount at time of registration. We would really like to avoid last minute registrants as we are guests in Dokan's home - planning for practice/sleeping space is important, and the menu is being planned in advance. We recognize that plans do change - if someone makes a commitment and then is unable to attend, a full refund will be made.
3) If you are interested in registering and making a deposit, please PM or email me at email@example.com . I will provide payment instructions (after March 1) and a short registration form which will request emergency contact instructions as well as any medical information which may be relevant. Please be sure your health insurance provides coverage for this locale - if you are traveling in from outside the US please be advised that additional trip-specific health insurance may be required!
4) The retreat will be practiced in silence. Conversation is possible at certain times, such as following dinner, and during Dokusan, but please remember the purpose of our coming together. I am posting below a sample schedule for one day of the retreat. All other days will resemble this one, with the exception of the final day, which will include and Ordination ceremony and celebration. Please note that there is time at the end of the day for mobile phone / computer use. For attendees from Europe, it will be possible to use time to make calls briefly in the morning upon rising or following lunch. Please be judicious in the use of your devices and make arrangements as much as possible to immerse yourself in personal and technical silence!
5) Please remember that arrival airport is IAD. It would be best to schedule arrival on the afternoon of 8 August as the retreat will start early on the 9th. As we collect arrival information we can make ridesharing arrangements for folks to Dokan's home. Sleeping accomodations will be separate for females and males. This is a no-smoking and alcohol/chemical-free retreat. We will make a small outdoor smoking area available at day's end, but again, please be judicious. We will be enjoying alcoholic beverages (in moderation) for those who choose to do so following the Ordination ceremony on the 14th.
Here is a sample of the schedule:
5: 30 : waking up
6: 00 - 6:40: zazen
8:45-9:00: free time
9:30-10:00: coffee tea /dokusan
10:00-12:00: sewing /samu
12: 30-13:30: rest
15:00-17:00: sewing/ samu
17:00-18:00: circle and teaching
18:00-19:00 : freetime dokusan
19:00-20:00: diner /coffee tea
20:45-21:30: fukanzazenji in Japanese
21:30-22:30: freetime (phone and computer check-in)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.