Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retreat in United States

Not to belabor the point, but when I think about it, Hofstra does also have a nice computer lab and several quiet conference areas with equipment for both broadcasting and receiving over the internet. We could broadcast over google plus or skype, and everyone who couldn't attend could join us via a large projector screen. There's also an on campus radio station that's very well stocked were there an interest in recording a podcast. All we would need to bring is a laptop. I imagine both the connectivity, and the loaning/cheap rental of dorms are common on campuses in the summer.

Something to consider. These are just the things that spring to mind when I think of affordability.

Gassho,
    Mc.
    Last edited by McGettigan; 04-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.

I know that East Coast works best for everyone, and that would be great.

(But I'm secretly rooting for Vegas because I won't be able to make it unless I can drive to it. )
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Wow, Vegas or the Big Apple for a Zen retreat! Now that says something about Treeleaf.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Dosho, if the Sesshin is to be on the East Coast, have you considered the Garrison institute? It is a retreat center that already hosts Weekend Sesshin for several Zen center's that lack residential facilities. It is an former Cupuchin monastery that overlooks the Hudson river. It is a very beautiful place and hosting retreats is their mission. May very well be worth checking out. They also advertise the retreats on their web site which may bolster attendance.

Their site is http://www.garrisoninstitute.org/.

Yugen
    I must agree with Dosho that the East coast seems to be a strong and logical choice.

While it is true that the Buddha is everywhere, the shortage of holy fig trees under which to sit in Vegas I think rules out that location..... :-(

Besides, if what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, any breakthroughs experienced there will be restricted to city limits!

So I am thinking East coast or Eastern US?

BTW Carnival cruise lines is offering cheap group packages right now (kidding)

Gassho
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 05-01-2013 at 03:08 AM.

One common theme that keeps arising is air fare. It would be beneficial to look at some of the less expensive airports and, if facilities are available, lean towards those.

I don't have a vested interest in one location over another, especially since I don't know what my commitments will be in 2014. I share the goal of making this retreat accessible for the greatest number, however.

Gassho,
    Shujin

Yugen
    Hi everyone:

On Taigu's behalf we'd like to announce the dates for the US 2014 retreat he will be leading - August 9-14 2014 - the retreat will be held at Dokan's home, which is near Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, DC. The closest major airports for travel are Washington Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore Washington International (BWI). While the retreat is still a year out and many airlines do not accept reservations more than 8 or 9 months in advance, we did want to provide plenty of notice so folks could arrange their schedules, vacation time, etc. The retreat starts early on August ninth - so please arrange to arrive on the eighth. A retreat schedule, logistics, and retreat roles (Tenzo, Doan, etc.) will be distributed closer to the retreat date. We do plan that a contribution for food / meals during the retreat will be requested, as well as a contribution towards an appropriate expression of gratitude to Dokan and his family for hosting the retreat.

Deep bows
    Yugen

While I am on the west coast, so would love to have it here, Dosho is right, the east coast makes the most sense. Count me in for attending and helping how I can.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Once I find out my complete school schedule later next month I will be able to give an answer. Right now, judging by the dates, it looks like there is at least a chance I will be able to make it.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Looks doable for me as well.

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Nindo
    Great news! What will accommodation be like - tents and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Great news! What will accommodation be like - tents and such?
    It's a zen retreat, aren't we supposed to be in a 5 star resort with massages following each sitting?
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Hi Yugen, thank you for the advance notice. The dates look good for me, and I will attend. I grew up in the DC Metro area, and still visit my extended family regularly. I would be happy to provide rides from the airport, as I will bring my car (cheaper for me than flying), and any other assistance I can. Although Reagan National Airport (DCA) is smaller than the other two airports, decent fares can be found and it's closer than BWI.

Gassho,
    Shujin
    Last edited by Shujin; 08-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Yugen
    Accommodations will most probably be indoors - floors, room-sharing, etc. - early to tell, but might be a good idea to bring a summer weight sleeping bag.

Shujin, good tip on DCA. A good option for domestic US travelers. I suggest BWI as an additional choice for those coming in from Europe... We may have to do a Martin's Tavern field trip in Georgetown....

Chocolates on pillows.... ;-)

Gassho
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 08-02-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Hi everyone,

I know it's a year away but we are very excited about the opportunity to host the retreat. To give a bit of information, here's the location of our home:

15761 Baskerville Ct, Leesburg, VA, 20176

IAD is the closest airport (about 30 minutes) away and, regardless of the number of participants, I am confident that we should have enough room for everyone. However I'm not so sure on the chocolate.

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    We may have to do a Martin's Tavern field trip in Georgetown....

Thank you for your generous hospitality, Dokan. My parents live about 30 miles north on US 15/I-70. Perhaps we can meet between now and next August, as I'm sure I'll be visiting sometime before then.

Gassho,
    Shujin

I thank you Dokan for the use of your home for what will be a very special occasion for all and for you, Daido and myself.

Gassho

David

Thank you Dokan and I am looking forward to my first trip to the US. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息

It is still a ways out, but as of now I see no reason I can not attend.

So am I Hogo, and Iam about to have the longest plane journey ever from Osaka to New York...

And yet both of us have never been closer,

Gassho

Taigu

I will be taking I-95 straight down from the northern most tip or New Jersey. Looking forward to it, in a ver non attached zen sort of way. Of course.

I am very excited to join on on the Online variation of this amazing retreat. I will most likely be back at college at the point of this (I head back next week), so I will be attending via the wonderful internet. Thank you Taigu for the retreat!

Gassho,

James

Nindo
    Just bringing this back to the top, to remind everybody of the dates and for new people to see!

My income puts me below the poverty level, so I will most likely be doing the retreat online. I might be able to make it if the retreat were on the West Coast and I could travel there by train. Sounds like East Coast is in favor so far, but I'll put in a plug for my own city anyway. I suggest my own beautiful city-San Diego, California. The weather is pretty much perfect here. People traveling from other parts of the country/world would probably enjoy the beaches and many other fun things here (before or after the retreat obviously). The Zen Center of San Diego is here. Also DeerPark Monastery (associated with Thich Nhat Hanh/Plum Village). Members of our sangha might also enjoy visiting these other sanghas while here.

When I was attending ZCSD, once yearly a retreat was held at Questhaven. Not sure if the facility would meet the needs of our group, but thought I'd mention it anyway...
    http://www.questhaven.org/retreat.asp

Whatever happens with the retreat- I am happy for our sangha!

Ooops! I was so excited to see this thread I didn't read all the way through to see that a decision has been made already! Perhaps some future event could be held here in San Diego!

Gassho!

I don't see a long retreat in the cards for me, though it would be great to meet all of you who can/will attend. Family and Financial obligations a bit strict right now.

Gassho
    C

Joyo
    I can't make a commitment just yet, but I would like to come.

Treena

Yugen
    Nindo,
    Thanks for updating this thread to refresh the discussion!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I am very interested in attending this retreat, and offer whatever meagre assistance I can (only live a few hours away and will be driving so I can help with carpooling and such).

Thank you Nindo for resurrecting this thread, thank you Dokan and family for your hospitality, thank you Taigu for sharing your plans and teaching with us, and thank you to everyone at Treeleaf for your practice.

Deep gassho,
    Eric

I would love to join the last two or three days (work).

Gassho,

Lu
    Shinjin datsuraku, datsuraku shinjin..Body-mind drop off, mind-body drop off..

I'm glad this got bumped because I hadn't heard this. I can give a confident "hell yes!" as to attending. I'm in Michigan so it isnt a giant stretch to get there. I'll start socking away funds now. Much love to everyone who put this together.

Gassho, Jeffrey
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Still looking forward to this. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help facilitate.

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Nindo,
    Thanks for updating this thread to refresh the discussion!

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Sure ... maybe make it a stickie?

Hello,

I just booked my flight to the US. So in the words of QUEEN: Don't stop me now!

Looking forward to seeing many of you there in 2014.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Great Mongen!
    Plan to book this weekend.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Wonderful both!! I too will be booking in the next couple of days

Gassho
    Taikyo

My wife and I are starting to sew zabutons for the attendees..assuming many will BYOZafu?

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Thanks Dokan. I'm going to try my seiza bench

Gassho,

Daido

A wonderful idea Dokan.

We should try to brainstorm what we will need to make sure we prioritize, but I feel confident zabutons would be up near the top anyway.

Looking forward to it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dokan View Post
    My wife and I are starting to sew zabutons for the attendees..assuming many will BYOZafu?

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BYOZ? This is going to be some party!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Yugen
    We will be posting with logistics and information for the retreat shortly, so folks can make plans in an organized fashion.

To all interested/potential attendees: please think about when you can make a firm commitment to the retreat, as we will be planning and budgeting for this activity. I consider purchased tickets to be firm commitments! Off we go!

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 11-13-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Hi everybody,

I just want to confirm that Yugen is our retreat coordinator and agreed to take this responsability. He will be working in consultation with me and will make the necessary decisions when appropriate. He will be coordinating with Dokan who is kindly hosting this remarkable event that should see the highest concentration of Treeleaf Zen priests, three receiving tokudo on the last day. Jundo shall join us on the last day as well so the family gathering will be perfect .
    If you come, it should be a serious commitment, if you agree to a responsability you should put all your heart and energy into it. This retreat will be very traditional and provide a training ground for all as we can all learn from each other. I will do daily dokusan in my ferocious-funny style and do my very best to point at this reality which is but your life.

More information to come .

Gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 11-13-2013 at 09:19 AM.

I am quite close and CAN do this. Must be a tentative yes....I looked at the fares and it comes in at a doable $300.00 round trip now. Would like to rent a car too and help with rides.
    I got the time accrued but must go see 89 years mom in New Orleans this coming summer......
    As soon as I book and this will be soon, like before Christmas, I will confirm here.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Hello,

may I suggest that people who definitely commit at some point soon also send a private message to Yugen and Dokan? It is very hard to plan with a tentative "yes" and one cannot expect those organising the retreat to always check a thread and to read between the lines.

Gassho and deep bows to those helping with the organisation of the retreat,

Hans Chudo Mongen

I will confirm when the plane is booked!
    Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息

Yes. Curving enthusiasm is good here.
    Will confirm when booked.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

My birthday is Aug. 9th. I would love to be there. Saving my pennies now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

Yugen
    Hi folks,
    A quick and early update on a few retreat-related topics. While we are a good eight months away, I would like to address a few questions that are popping up.

- We suggest that folks make arrangements to arrive at Washington/Dulles Airport (IAD) Friday August 8, in preparation for a morning start on Saturday August 9. As we get a better idea of numbers attending, we will address transportation from the airport to Dokan's home.

- We will be requiring a nonrefundable deposit by April 1 for the retreat so we can make some definite plans around menu planning, food purchases, space utilization, etc. Prior to that time we will also calculate and post the suggested participation fee. This fee is intended to encourage people to firm up their plans well in advance - Dokan and his family are opening their home to us and we in turn would like to plan as thoroughly as possible so inconvenience to them is minimized.

- The retreat is BYOZ! (Bring your own zafu) - Zabutons wil be graciously provided by Dokan and his family (who are busy sewing!). Plan to bring a sleeping bag as sleeping arrangements will most likely be sleeping bags on mats.

- While the retreat is to be silent and technology-free, we do recognize that people will need to be in touch with their families and work situations. We will provide time in the schedule at the end of each day for people to phone home / check voicemail / email. We would like to be sensitive to people's need to stay in touch during the retreat but at the same time insist upon encouraging an environment of serious and committed practice. Please plan ahead so people know what to expect while you are at the retreat.

- If you cannot come to the retreat for the full period, it is acceptable to attend for two days or three, or some subset of the full six days. Whichever you commit to, please keep the commitment you make. Endeavor please to join the retreat at the beginning of the days' practice so the flow is not disrupted. When you know your plans, if you are not attending the entire retreat, please do let us know which days you plan to attend. If you cannot attend in person, you can always join us online!

- We plan on a fairly traditional menu that will include soups, vegetarian fare, and chicken/fish alternatives. We know there are Sangha members who are vegetarian, and those who are not. The retreat will be alcohol-free. Our diet will not be about picking or choosing, or forcing a particular dietary regimen on anyone. Part of eating what is served at the retreat involves the practice of accepting what is offered. We will make sure to enquire about any dietary limitations (for medical or ethical reasons) and do our best to accommodate them. Food planning and preparation will be handled by a Tenzo (one of the Unsui) and we will assign two retreat participants to volunteer as assistants on a rotating basis.

- The last day of the retreat will be the Shukke Tokudo ceremony for Daido, Dokan, and Taikyo. This will be a special, Treeleaf family occasion - the culmination of a period of intense practice and a time of celebration. If you are attending the retreat, please make every effort to be present for this day, to honor our brothers Daido, Dokan, and Taikyo.

More to follow.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 11-18-2013 at 05:01 AM.

This sounds wonderful. I need to check my schedule, as well as the needs of the diocese, before committing, but I believe that barring expenses I would be able to attend the retreat. Please let us know sooner rather than later what the costs will be. I probably would be driving from the Chicago area, if there is anyone who prefers this type of travel rather than the hubbub and expense of air or rail, perhaps travel expense could be shared, with door to door service .
    BTW if ever another such retreat is considered, and a more geographically centered location sought, I would strongly suggest Christ the King Priory in Schuyler, Nebraska. It is a Benedictine Priory and Spiritual Center in a beautiful setting that has accommodated Zen Retreats often.
    Looking forward

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast