Thread: March 16th, 2013 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

March 16th, 2013 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

ReMINDer: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME CHANGE in NORTH AMERICA (not yet in Europe)!

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE from 9am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London midnight and Paris 1am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible at the following link during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-15-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    I will see you there.

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen
    I will be there!

Gassho
    Yugen

I'll be here/there

Gassho, Daizan

What, no Heartlem Shake? Can I wear my blue trash can? No?

Oh well... I'll be there

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Will try to make it live, if not, will be tomorrow morning

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

I will have to sit at another time, my little girls birthday party is tonight (shhh, it's a surprise!). She turned 19 on Wednesday, I still can't believe it. Can somebody tell me who this guy is with all the grey hair I see in the mirror.
    Gassho, Jakudo (or you can call me "grey beard")
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

I can join up to kinhin hopefully. If thech. "no problems" will allow me (weak and erratic wireless connection has prevented me to join in live so far sorry about that). Otherwise I sure will sit the whole session as recorded. Hope to see you all!

Enkyo/Peter/potato peal

I will be there.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you.

Daizan

Mp
    Thank you everyone, have a great weekend.

Gassho
    Shingen

That was my first time sitting live. I enjoyed it.

Gassho
    William

Yugen
    Thank you everyone - have a great weekend. William, glad that you joined us.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 03-16-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Thank you, everyone.

I believe I may have left a phrase out of the Heart Sutra today. A lesson in distraction (nor the last time)! My apologies.

Even though All is Emptiness, all the words should be in the right place.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by William Anderson View Post
    That was my first time sitting live. I enjoyed it.

Gassho
    William
    It was great to have you with us William.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you all for Zazenkai. Just participated in the recording along with Willie, my dog and cats, Noah and Watson!
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Thanks to everyone for sitting!

Gassho
    Shinka

Early morning sit this week. Thank you all.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Sorry I wasn't there live guys.

I tried, but could not join somehow. Did everything according to the guidlines showed above. Maybe I miscalculated the time?

Anyway, I will join you all today in the recording.

Gassho

Enkyo

Thank you everyone
    _()_
    Myoku

Thank you Jundo and everyone sitting. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Matt

I had a good time, it's always nice to see everyone. Once again I had to bail early because the little guy decided to have a battle of the wills over bedtime. I will sit the rest today.

gassho
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Gassho
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Myoshin
    Here we go, a coffee, and let's go for my weekly zazenkai

Ready to join treeleafers who sat into the non present, past, future, all at once

Gassho

Myoshin

Lovely. Thank you!

One question, though. I am noticing that the first line of the Vow of Atonement is different to that printed in the chant book (unless it has been changed recently).
    Please could someone post the correct version so I can mark it in? I can't quite catch it from Jundo's chanting.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Karasu View Post
    Lovely. Thank you!

One question, though. I am noticing that the first line of the Vow of Atonement is different to that printed in the chant book (unless it has been changed recently).
    Please could someone post the correct version so I can mark it in? I can't quite catch it from Jundo's chanting.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

I suppose it was not updated in the PDF file? Someone said that some folks do not care for the word "evil", so we use an alternative version ...

All harmful acts, words and thoughts, ever committed by me since of old,

On account of beginningless greed, anger and ignorance,

Born of my body, mouth and mind,

Now I atone for them all

However, what is most vital is what is in your heart ... and that you seek not to commit "harmful acts, words and thoughts" . Words are not so important as the doing and not doing.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

However, what is most vital is what is in your heart ... and that you seek not to commit "harmful acts, words and thoughts" . Words are not so important as the doing and not doing.

Gassho, J
    Thank you, Jundo. Good to know what you are saying, and that is good advice. I took the precepts five years ago but it is still a daily job to uphold them.

Andy

Thanks a lot for your practice everyone!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added