Thread: March 9th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (Come Dance the 'HEARTlem SHAKE'!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

March 9th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (Come Dance the 'HEARTlem SHAKE'!)

Dear All,

Our Sitters this week should be prepared to dance the 'HEARTlem SHAKE' as our Heart Sutra chant this week. DETAILS BELOW!

OUR TALK THIS TIME WILL BE ON ZEN PRACTICE AND ALL OF LIFE as SILLY DANCING!

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning))

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEARTlem SHAKE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-08-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

All folks joining in our Heart Sutra ceremony this month are requested (in fact, dancing is not optional!) to join in the 'HEARTlem Shake' as our "Heart Sutra" recitation.

For you folks who don't know what the "Harlem Shake' is (like me until about two days ago! ) ... here are some examples. You will be expected to stand solemnly in Gassho as I kick it off and, at the appropriate time JUMP IN! Yes, please bring any costumes or props you feel express who you are (ah, maybe not too risky please!) .

Please study closely the following for the exact time you are to jump in ...

Are we being silly!? OF COURSE! Can the Heart Sutra be a silly dance? OF COURSE!

I actually am making a point here (for those who need some philosophical justification for dancing, as if that is needed! ) ... that all life is a dance, this world is a dance ... it is a dance of our happiness, a dance of our sorrows, a dance of falling in love, a dance of losing those we love, a dance we dance ... a dance which dances us ... a dance dancing the dance. Life is wonderfully serious-silly dance.

I hope you will all be brave and jump in! In fact ... DANCING IS MANDATORY! NO JUST STANDING THERE TODAY!

I wish to thank our Myoku who made a small change to one word in the Harlem Shuffle ... it now says ...

Con los Buddhistas!

(Also thank you to Heisoku's teenage son who offered to help). Here is Myoku's version ..

http://www.myoku.de/dl/Harlem%20Shake%20Buddhista.mp3

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-08-2013 at 09:59 AM.

By the way, this world changing dance crosses all cultures and ages ...

Last edited by Jundo; 03-07-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Con los Buddhistas!

This is a can't miss! Of course I'll be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi,
    Wish I could be there live. Can't wait to sit (and dance!) the recorded version.
    Gassho
    Myozan

I'll be here.

Gassho
    Daizan

....still got some moves methinx.

Mp
    Update: Unfortunately, I have a client meeting this afternoon, so I will try my best to make it ... might be later, or have to sit with recording.

I be there dancing live.

Gassho
    Shingen
    Last edited by Mp; 03-08-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: update

Will be there, not the whole Zazenkai tough, just one hour :P

Gassho

PS: Practicing my dance already
    Thank you for your practice

Unfortunately, I will not able to participate due to family concerns.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Going to join right now...gassho, Matt

That was fun Have a great weekend, will "join" zazenkai tomorrow

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Thank you,...and thank you for the dance.

I need to duck out and get some sleep early tonight. (not because of the dance! )

Gassho, Daizan

And here is the Hatsune Miku Heart Sutra we danced second ... perhaps not your image of the "Heart Sutra" ...

More on Hatsune Miku ...

Hatsune Miku (初音ミク) is the first Japanese Vocaloid2 in the Vocaloid2 Character Vocal Series, the third Japanese Vocaloid created by Crypton Future Media, and is the seventh Vocaloid to have appeared overall; released on August 31, 2007. She is considered as the most popular and well known Vocaloid and the first to become a pop idol. The data for the voice was created by sampling the voice of Saki Fujita (藤田 咲, Fujita Saki), a Japanese voice actress.

Crypton had the idea to release Miku as "an android diva in the near-future world where songs are lost."[3][4] When KEI illustrated Miku, he was asked to draw Miku as an android and a color scheme to go off of (based on YAMAHA synthesizer's signature blue-green color). Crypton also provided KEI her detailed concepts, however, Crypton says it was not easy to explain what a "Vocaloid" was like to him, and KEI says he could not create an image of a "singing computer" at first, as he did not even know what a "synthesizer" was. It took him more than a month. [5] The digital design on Miku's skirt and boots are based off synthesizer program colours and the bars represent the actual bars within the program, following Crypton's idea. Part of her design seems to be based on Yamaha's keyboard model DX-100 [6].
    http://vocaloid.wikia.com/wiki/Hatsune_Miku

Does Hatsune Miku have Buddha Nature?

Gassho, J

There are many many different versions of her Heart Sutra ... this one with English subtitles ...

also ... thrash metal ...

... and R&B (I think these are human voices mixed in) ...

Last edited by Jundo; 03-09-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Thank you to all the dance partners today! Myozan, love the cricket gear!

Here is the "Zen Monks Ballet" I mentioned, the monks of Sojiji during their Morning Chanting ... Check out from the 7:15 to 12:00 mark. What they are doing is a ritual reading of a very large Sutra, by flipping through the pages. The idea behind it is very much like the Tibetan Prayer Wheel, where every turn of the Sutra in the wheel gathers merit ...

Gassho, J

Thank you for this wonderful zazenkai.

I love Hatsune Miku!!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you everyone,
    Gassho
    Myoku

I missed the dance
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    I missed the dance
    You can still join the dance any time right where you are ... from home.

Gassho, J

Thank you

Thank you so much for today and all the other Zazenkais. The time doesn't translate well to the UK for me to join live but it is great to catch up with you all at some point during the weekend and it makes a real difference feeling part of a sangha as opposed to my solitary daily practice.

A haiku written after today's sit-a-long:

Between zazen sits
    the rain continues to fall
    my eyes become wet.

Does Hatsune Miku have Buddha nature? No more than these mountains and rivers ...

Thanks for the Zazenkai. Great fun! But it's just not cricket...

Gassho
    Myozan

Good to have you with us Karasu. You were there with all of us. Gassho, J

I missed the dance as well...but I am dancing right now! Was great to sit Zazenkai with everyone who did, will, and has sat. Thank you all.
    Gassho, Jakudo.
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

I will 'join' the dance and zazenkai too this weekend. Never heard of Hatsune Miku before. Heart sutra pop? I love it! Thank you Jundo.

Gassho

Enkyo

Mp
    Wow, you guys Rock! Thank you Jundo and everyone for a fantastic dance, best one I have had in along time.

Gassho
    Shingen

Great shakes I didn't know they played cricket in Dublin! My son loved the mix and is still fuming that dad missed the time! Gassho to all shaking and sitting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Everyone in my family agreed that was hilarious.

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

It's always good to have fun! This is the only other Heart Sutra I've heard sang before and it's in English:

Enjoy!

Gassho,

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    It's always good to have fun! This is the only other Heart Sutra I've heard sang before and it's in English:

Enjoy!

Gassho,

Lisa
    Oh Lisa, that is our 'Official' Treeleaf Theme Song commissioned and written a few years ago by our long time member, Will, who pops in and out of here from time to time. Here is his download:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6273880

I hope he stops by again soon, time for a visit.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-11-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Hi, Jundo!

Oh, wow, what a fluke! I don't even remember how I stumbled upon that video, but I had to go back through months of YouTube history to find it again.

Gassho,

Lisa

That was the most exhausting Heart Sutra I've ever done! I was sitting shirtless during the first zazen yesterday.
    Sat the second zazen and listened to the talk this morning. Last two zazen periods will be tomorrow. It was fun everyone.

Gassho
    Rafael

Thank you all for dancing together!

Gassho
    Shinka

Myoshin
    Oh great, maybe if one doesn't know the heart sutra, he will found it modern and profound, special but not so buddhist.
    My point of vieuw, and thank you to bring it again

Gassho

Myoshin