Thread: Short Zen Movie

Short Zen Movie

Hi everyone,

Anyone seen this short movie before? It's in English with Hungarian subtitles, but it should not be any obstacle right? Hope you like it, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CxMOkdOly0M

Enkyo

Myoshin
    Hi Enkyo, I've seen some passage here but not the entire movie, I remember the teaching with the orange if I remember well.

Thank you for the link I will see the hole movie

Gassho

Myoshin

Hi.

I recommend the film greatly, and its commentatory track includes Jundo's Dharma brother Brad warner.

As for the orange...

Thank you for your practice.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Every so often this film pops up, and every time I try and watch it... I look away .....face in palm. not at the message, but at the filmmaking, and filmmakers choices. ugh.

Sorry. just a dumb comment from the peanut gallery. ....I could no longer remain silent.

Gassho Dazian.

Mp
    Thanks for the share ... I have seen this little clip.

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    Sorry. just a dumb comment from the peanut gallery. ....I could no longer remain silent.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Oh, I do savor that Orange!
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

clever film
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://www.janxter.com/

I loved Zen Noir, just so deliberately over the top, something the Pythons would do it they were Zen Buddhists. My wife hated it. What does she know? She doesn't appreciate Monty Python either.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Quote Originally Posted by Neika View Post
    I loved Zen Noir, just so deliberately over the top, something the Pythons would do it they were Zen Buddhists. My wife hated it. What does she know? She doesn't appreciate Monty Python either.

Gassho

"...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.' And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the LORD spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'"
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

That was the most intense clip about fruit I've ever seen. I'm going to need a moment.
    _/\_
    Jigetsu

Okay, my first impression is that it makes me feel bad for Thich Nhat Hanh, since the "eating an orange" lesson is so widely associated with him (even if it did not originate with him). My second impression, in keeping with Neika's "over the top" theme is the sheer abundance of the color orange. You see it as a backdrop to virtually every scene: red-orange walls, flaming orange fire, the orange piece of fruit. I guess the entire universe is an orange.

Gassho,

William

I liked it because I like old Mickey Spillane and Sam Spade stories and noir films ...

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE