Thread: Often Asked - How-to Join Insight Timer: Treeleaf Group

Often Asked - How-to Join Insight Timer: Treeleaf Group

Hi all!
    I know there are some folks on Treeleaf including myself that use the 'Insight Timer' app on the iPhone/iPad/Android to track your zazen times. There's a new function that has been added to the app that allows the user to join 'groups' of other Insight Timer users. I've taken the liberty of creating a Treeleaf group that will allow us to more easily identify our fellow Treeleafers within the app. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, click here.

Simply touch on the 'Insight Connect' button on the main menu. This will take you to the 'community' page where at the bottom of the screen you should see 'Groups', touch there. Browse the available groups until you find Treeleaf and join! Have fun.

Gassho,
    Seimyo
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-30-2019 at 05:26 AM.

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

I just joined... once you find the group, click on it, it will open a new screen with the description of the group, and the join button will be below

Great idea Seimyo

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to join this group!
    I was mystified, but it turned out I had to just wait for a few hours before a [Join Group] button appeared when I visited the Treeleaf group page.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://www.janxter.com/

Sorry. It does seem like their system takes a long time to update. Know that it will eventually show up.

Gassho.
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

For those having difficulties registering:

1) On the start screen: Select “Insight Connect”.
    2) Select icon “Groups” below on the screen that appears.
    3) Scroll down. Select Search button. In field “Search Groups” enter Treeleaf.
    4) “Treeleaf Zendo” is displayed on top. Select it.
    5) On the next screen scroll down and select “Join this group”.

Done!

Normally, I use a different app (Zazen Meditation Timer for Android), but from time to time I will use Insight Timer on my iPod touch (offline though).

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiten View Post
    I've just been trying to set this up - is the Treeleaf group still there?

I have the latest Insight Timer app on iPhone, but I can't find the Insight Connect button. And some options in the app are producing error messages (eg "The page you were looking for doesn't exist).

Any help much appreciated!

Gassho,
    Nick

Sat today & LAH
    Hello Nick,

It sure is ... Here is a screenshot on an Android device...hooe this helps.

You can see I am on the third icon from the left on the bottom ... In the search box tyoe Treeleaf Zendo and you should see it like the post above. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Hi Shingen,

Thanks so much for the screen-shot - it showed me what was meant to happen! I'd tried the group icon (inbetween the timer and the person) and the app was giving me an error message instead of the screen you posted.

Fortunately, un-installing the app and then re-installing it has fixed it

Gassho,
    Nick

Sat today & LAH

Mp
    Hi Shingen,

Thanks so much for the screen-shot - it showed me what was meant to happen! I'd tried the group icon (inbetween the timer and the person) and the app was giving me an error message instead of the screen you posted.

Fortunately, un-installing the app and then re-installing it has fixed it

Gassho,
    Nick

Sat today & LAH
    Awesome Nick, glad two minds coming together fixed it. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

The only question I'm left with is... why this app?

Is the interactive component simply that after sitting you can post a message to the treeleaf group on the app saying that you sat? Or is there more to it?

I've normally been using an app called Belfast Zen which has a much more minimalist interface which I like.

Gassho,
    Nick

Sat today & LAH
    Hi Nick,

For me there are a few reasons to love Insight Timer. One is accountability, reporting that you did sit today. Another is offering your sit to others, in a way, encouraging and motivating them to sit too. Another is being able to see who's sitting - live - at the same time, which is a nice feeling. Also I just really like the bells. They're nice, and I can program a full zazenkai with bells and whistles and clappers and not have to fiddle with it. And it's also a little more casual atmosphere there, you can chat a bit about things you wouldn't necessarily start a thread for here, like, just the weather where you are, or how your day is, or your miserable cold, the kind of thing you'd chat about while walking out of the zendo maybe.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Hi Byokan,

Thank you

Much to reflect on. It took me a long while to stop beating myself up when I didn't meditate that day or that week, and I was reacting against having 'progress' and 'milestones'. But perhaps I could hold these things lightly...

Gassho,
    Nick
    Hi Nick

I’d strongly suggest you turn the milestones off and ignore all the other statistics that IT provides. If you are like me you’ll find all the striving for achievement to be more of a hindrance than a help with your practice.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Hi Byokan,

Thank you

Much to reflect on. It took me a long while to stop beating myself up when I didn't meditate that day or that week, and I was reacting against having 'progress' and 'milestones'. But perhaps I could hold these things lightly...

Gassho,
    Nick
    Ah yes, the milestones! Lots of people find them motivating, some people find them oppressive. You can turn them off in the options. I have.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post
    Hi Nick

I’d strongly suggest you turn the milestones off and ignore all the other statistics that IT provides. If you are like me you’ll find all the striving for achievement to be more of a hindrance than a help with your practice.

Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

Yes, yes. Sit diligently, each day, but without measure or milestones. This is vital. Please see here ...

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: - Watching The Clock Rackin Up Points
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ckin-Up-Points

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - Insight is great. Weren't we also going to revive our old, minimalist, Treeleaf Timers? It might be good to just get those up on our homepage somewhere, just for people who do want just the "bells with no whistles."
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byokan View Post
    One is accountability, reporting that you did sit today. Another is offering your sit to others, in a way, encouraging and motivating them to sit too.
    I want to second Byokan’s observation here.

IT has helped me with a little motivational boost from time to time (“but I don’t WANNA sit!”). For Ango last year I vowed to sit every day without fail. IT helped because of the accountability. Then they introduced the “365 days of sitting” group this year so I kept going to help motivate others in their practice.

I find it positive, but if it seems too complicated or the “gold stars for sitting” is crazymaking, that’s OK too.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat

Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I was mystified, but it turned out I had to just wait for a few hours before a [Join Group] button appeared when I visited the Treeleaf group page.
    I'll say this much for the Insight Timer. I dropped off the face of the earth for a while (like I do) and yesterday I was able to just log back in and sit in a connected way without much fuss.

By this morning's sit, I had halfway figured out how it all worked again & saw that I had been sitting concurrently with a couple of leafers.

Setting up to use a camera and getting into a hangout is a bit more overhead.

Syd
    SatToday

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://www.janxter.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Setting up to use a camera and getting into a hangout is a bit more overhead.

Syd
    SatToday

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Oh believe me Syd, when I tell you that if I can do it... ANYONE can do it. For real. I am the least technological person on the planet. I don't even have a smartphone. Jump in whenever you're ready, you'll find lots of support here.

About timers: I love the Insight Timer and use it for my main daily sit, but I use others too. This one's nice and simple, just a timer:

http://www.onlinemeditationtimer.com/

Agree with you Nick, there are lots of ways to get ourselves to the cushion and lots of ways to support others. First and foremost is just getting the rump onto the cushion. Whatever works today to support that is the best way.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamoresky View Post
    Is anyone able to explain how the Insight Timer works please? ....... Can people see each other when sitting and can people post ahead of time when they are going to sit, so others can join them online? And/or is it helpful in other ways?
    Hi Rachel,

Unlike the more "interactive" ways of sitting together (such as the Free Sitting Room) with streaming video and audio, the Insight Timer app is a more informal tool.

At its most basic it is simply a timer with nice bells and such for sitting. But can also provide social features ("friend" and "groups" -- including a Treeleaf group), daily sitting reminders, etc. A number of Treeleafers sit with IT most days. Its nice because when you open the app to time your sitting, if any of your friends, or people in your groups are sitting, you can see that fact (as text / icons though, not as streaming video or anything like that).

I hope that makes sense.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat (on Insight Timer)

Hi everyone,

Does this group still exist? I use Insight Timer, but I cannot find the Treeleaf Zendo group when I use the search bar.

Thanks,
    Max

Sat today
    おつかれさまです

Quote Originally Posted by Max Andrew View Post
    Hi everyone,

Does this group still exist? I use Insight Timer, but I cannot find the Treeleaf Zendo group when I use the search bar.

Thanks,
    Max

Sat today
    Hi Max,

yes, it's still alive with several posts every day.
    When I search inside the 'groups' menu for "Treeleaf Zendo", I can find it.

Gassho,
    Kotei.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hi Kotei,

I found the problem--I had to sign out on my phone and sign back in under my registered name rather than my guest account. I didn't realize I had never actually signed in as myself on my phone!
    Thank you for your help!

Gassho,
    Max

Sat today
    おつかれさまです

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    For those using Insight Timer on Apple things:

I'm tired of having my phone ring when I've forgotten to turn on "Do not disturb" mode on my iPhone.

iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 have a new feature called "Focus". This new feature can automatically turn on "Do not disturb" mode under a variety of user-defined conditions. I told it to activate "Do not disturb" while I'm running the Insight Timer app and it seems to work well. An additional option will turn on "Do not disturb" on all my devices and I set that option as well.

Thank you Apple.

Sat
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

Quote Originally Posted by Hōkan View Post
    For those using Insight Timer on Apple things:

I'm tired of having my phone ring when I've forgotten to turn on "Do not disturb" mode on my iPhone.

iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 have a new feature called "Focus". This new feature can automatically turn on "Do not disturb" mode under a variety of user-defined conditions. I told it to activate "Do not disturb" while I'm running the Insight Timer app and it seems to work well. An additional option will turn on "Do not disturb" on all my devices and I set that option as well.

Thank you Apple.

Sat
    Awesome tip! Thank you Hokan. I usually put my phone into do not disturb when I sit with Insight Timer but sometimes I forget. Now I have a new focus “Zazen” set up that uses Insight Timer as my trigger.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Daitetsu View Post
    For those having difficulties registering:

1) On the start screen: Select “Insight Connect”.
    2) Select icon “Groups” below on the screen that appears.
    3) Scroll down. Select Search button. In field “Search Groups” enter Treeleaf.
    4) “Treeleaf Zendo” is displayed on top. Select it.
    5) On the next screen scroll down and select “Join this group”.

Done!

Normally, I use a different app (Zazen Meditation Timer for Android), but from time to time I will use Insight Timer on my iPod touch (offline though).

Gassho,

Timo
    Hi^^
    Is the group still existent?
    Regarding the updated interface the point 3.) is not the same anymore i.e. there is no searchfild 'Search Groups' when scrolling down.
    But you can use at the top the generic search-field, type in 'Treeleaf Zendo' and choose as category (categories are displayed horizontally) 'Groups' - but for
    some reasons I cannot find Treeleaf there... I have already signed out and signed back in, as well es uninstalled and reinstalled the app but still it does not work...
    Maybe someone had the same issue and came up with a solution? If not, nevermind - seems to be a cool thing but not super crucial...

Gassho,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Zrebna View Post
    Hi^^
    Is the group still existent?
    Regarding the updated interface the point 3.) is not the same anymore i.e. there is no searchfild 'Search Groups' when scrolling down.
    But you can use at the top the generic search-field, type in 'Treeleaf Zendo' and choose as category (categories are displayed horizontally) 'Groups' - but for
    some reasons I cannot find Treeleaf there... I have already signed out and signed back in, as well es uninstalled and reinstalled the app but still it does not work...
    Maybe someone had the same issue and came up with a solution? If not, nevermind - seems to be a cool thing but not super crucial...

Gassho,
    Chris
    Yeah, we’re in the middle of figuring it out. The group exists it just is undiscoverable.. send me a private message with your email and I’ll try to get you in.

SatToday
    Last edited by Bion; 12-14-2021 at 01:12 PM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Ah ok, just wanted to make sure that the issues are not on my side...
    Thanks for the offer, will send you right away a pm

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Byokan View Post
    Ah yes, the milestones! Lots of people find them motivating, some people find them oppressive. You can turn them off in the options. I have.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Hi,

I neither can find a way to turn those features off on the app itself, nor a quick google search was able to help me.
    Can somebody help me out and tell me how to turn these "progress"-features off?

Gassho
    Chris
    Sat today.

I don’t think you can do that anymore, but you can always not pay attention. Turn off all notifications so it doesn’t buzz you about your streak and just carry on with the timer. Unless you go to your profile to check, you won’t even know what milestones you’ve reached.

Sat today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    I don’t think you can do that anymore, but you can always not pay attention. Turn off all notifications so it doesn’t buzz you about your streak and just carry on with the timer. Unless you go to your profile to check, you won’t even know what milestones you’ve reached.

Sat today

I think I will just switch to another timer then, since the display of 'consecutive days' cannot be avoided, I guess and is also a kind of progress-tracker which I would prefer not to have.
    Can maybe anyone recommend a simple and minimalistic Zazen-Timer-App?

Gassho,
    Chris
    Sat today

I think I will just switch to another timer then, since the display of 'consecutive days' cannot be avoided, I guess and is also a kind of progress-tracker which I would prefer not to have.
    Can maybe anyone recommend a simple and minimalistic Zazen-Timer-App?

Gassho,
    Chris
    Sat today
    I love the consecutive days feature. I can look back and see rohatsu days, long sittings, zazenkais, know exactly when my commitment to sit every single day started and also it reminds me that regardless of how hectic life gets, in spite of headaches, toothaches, exhaustion, work, plans, pandemics, there is always a chance to sit every day.

Sat Today
    Bion

To be honest this feature I also do like, exactly for your mentioned reasons, but foremost it makes it "impossible" to wanna skip a day. But after have come across this article from Jundo

it does not feel 100% right (at least to me) that this 'consecutive day'-tracker is used as a sort of potential "crutch" - at the end one should sit of course every day (at least once) for the sake of just doing that and not in a very small %-tage possibly due to some thoughts like "I better sit, to not ruin my hundreds of days streak...".
    I think this is a very minor, nit-picking aspect, though and I also believe this might be very individual as well... so I am not saying that this 'consecutive days'-thing is per se or in general a "bad" thing or something like that...

Anyways, I might switch back to my previous pretty minimalisitc timer...if anyone wanna check it out then just type into google store " 'meditation timer' from Dan Hintz" - I do not know if posting a link is alright...but you should fnd it - it is a pretty simple timer but does the job.

But as said, it's sure not a big deal either way what timer folks do prefer...

Gassho,
    Chris
    Sat today

To be honest this feature I also do like, exactly for your mentioned reasons, but foremost it makes it "impossible" to wanna skip a day. But after have come across this article from Jundo

it does not feel 100% right (at least to me) that this 'consecutive day'-tracker is used as a sort of potential "crutch" - at the end one should sit of course every day (at least once) for the sake of just doing that and not in a very small %-tage possibly due to some thoughts like "I better sit, to not ruin my hundreds of days streak...".
    I think this is a very minor, nit-picking aspect, though and I also believe this might be very individual as well... so I am not saying that this 'consecutive days'-thing is per se or in general a "bad" thing or something like that...

Anyways, I might switch back to my previous pretty minimalisitc timer...if anyone wanna check it out then just type into google store " 'meditation timer' from Dan Hintz" - I do not know if posting a link is alright...but you should fnd it - it is a pretty simple timer but does the job.

But as said, it's sure not a big deal either way what timer folks do prefer...

Gassho,
    Chris
    Sat today
    The phone timer works perfectly fine.

SatToday
    Bion

Yeah, we’re in the middle of figuring it out. The group exists it just is undiscoverable..
    I just wanted to echo what Bion said here - we are in communication with Insight Timer. They are merging the older "groups" and the newer "circles" into a new kind of group. Since we are still the old style group, we are pretty much invisible right now until they convert us over.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

2023 update. I just downloaded Insight Timer on my phone and was easily able to create a free account, search for Treeleaf Zendo and to join the group.
    I have no idea how to use the app but look forward to figuring it out lol.
    Veronica
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    2023 update. I just downloaded Insight Timer on my phone and was easily able to create a free account, search for Treeleaf Zendo and to join the group.
    Veronica
    ST
    I personally use the timer daily. I have presets for my daily sits with no starting bell and just a gentle wood knock sound at the end, presets for short “emergency” sits and in the group, people usually post after they sat with others.

Sat Today lah
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Veronica
    ST
    like Bion i use the timer daily. And like him i have just the wood knock at the end..
    Maybe its a toy for this boy, but insight timer helps me to sit daily: i do not want to miss a day

i do not post often.

aprapti

sat (with the insight timer )

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Quote Originally Posted by aprapti View Post
    like Bion i use the timer daily. And like him i have just the wood knock at the end..
    Maybe its a toy for this boy, but insight timer helps me to sit daily: i do not want to miss a day

i do not post often.

aprapti

sat (with the insight timer )
    I tried it out today and liked it! I used the wood knock also.
    Sat today

I personally use the timer daily. I have presets for my daily sits with no starting bell and just a gentle wood knock sound at the end, presets for short “emergency” sits and in the group, people usually post after they sat with others.

Sat Today lah
    Gassho
    ST

Exclamation TREELEAF IS NOW ON INSIGHT TIMER AS A PUBLISHER

Hello, sangha friends.

Just wanted to let everyone know that you can now find Treeleaf Zendo content on Insight Timer as well, under our new Teacher Profile, here:

TREELEAF ZENDO ON INSIGHT TIMER

Content will be more or less tailored to that specific platform, so if you are regular Insight Timer users, you might enjoy this.
    This also serves to clarify what the official Treeleaf profile is.

Keep sitting!

🙏🏼 Sat Today
    Bion

Brilliant! Thank you

Gassho, Michael
    Satlah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Bion

Is this different to the Insight Treeleaf Zendo group that has been around for what seems an eternity or is it just a different route in to the same place. If so can you point to it so I can see what it looks like please ? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.

BTW good to see you sitting with the EKC these days, the more the merrier !

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Bion

Is this different to the Insight Treeleaf Zendo group that has been around for what seems an eternity or is it just a different route in to the same place. If so can you point to it so I can see what it looks like please ? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question.

BTW good to see you sitting with the EKC these days, the more the merrier !

Sat
    No, this is Treeleaf’s Publisher Profile, like any of the other teachers present on the app. If you click ok the profile, you will see the content we upload. Basically the audio versions of Jundo’s essays, maybe short dharma talks etc Just more ways to reach people with Treeleaf content. The profile is here: https://insig.ht/c4V34aAWYAb

It’s lovely to have the practice morning with the sangha!

Sat Today
    Last edited by Bion; 06-28-2023 at 07:18 AM.
    Bion

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Won't this be a little confusing as you now get 2 entries when searching for Treeleaf on Insight. Maybe a reference to the long standing Treeleaf Zendo Group needs to be added to this new entry ?

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Won't this be a little confusing as you now get 2 entries when searching for Treeleaf on Insight. Maybe a reference to the long standing Treeleaf Zendo Group needs to be added to this new entry ?

sat
    They are two different things. It’s like a Facebook user profile and a Facebook page.. different functions. (Imagine for example, the official Red Pine Facebook profile, set up by himself, where he can post his own stuff and make content available, and a Facebook Red Pine page set up by someone to simply discuss him with others. It’s like that) The group has nothing to do with the Publisher Profile.

Sat Today
    Bion