Thread: Zen Priest's Fukushima Clean-up Struggle

Zen Priest's Fukushima Clean-up Struggle

A video portrait, first aired last summer, from the English language division of Japan's NHK public television on Soto Priest Koyu Abe whose temple, Joenji, is only about 30 miles from the reactors. Abe, taking it on his own with limited resources, has organized a rag-tag local clean-up effort that can only be described as moving a mountain one grain of sand at a time.

The Threat Of Invisible Snow

More information published last year on Rev. Abe can be found here ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81906N20120210

On the snowy fringes of Japan's Fukushima city, now notorious as a byword for nuclear crisis, Zen monk Koyu Abe offers prayers for the souls of thousands left dead or missing after the earthquake and tsunami nearly one year ago.

But away from the ceremonial drums and the incense swirling around the Joenji temple altar, Abe has undertaken another task, no less harrowing -- to search out radioactive "hot spots" and clean them up, storing irradiated earth on temple grounds.
    Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    What a wonderful video ... There are some amazing people out there. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thanks for sharing this great story.
    Gassho
    Myozan

I love this man; Abe-oso. He is a true Bodhisattva
    Thanks Jundo, gassho
    Last edited by Shokai; 02-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Bodhisattva Abe Zenji is truly working to better the world. I think Kanzeon must borrow his hands.
    Gassho,
    "Heitetsu"
    Christopher
    Sat today

Truly inspiring!

My deepest bows to Rev. Koyu Abe.

Gassho
    Mike

The world needs more people like him.
    Gassho
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

An inspiring documentary. A true Bodhisattva. Thanks for sharing.

Gassho
    Matt

Kyotai
    This guy is great. At one time, I believed a zen monk's life was a simple one. But combining volunteering/community organizer/ working/ family life/ raising kids....not so simple.

Gassho

Shawn

Chopping wood, carrying water encompasses a great deal I am slowly learning.
    Gassho, Jakudo Hinton
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道