I've been with Treeleaf for a year+ now and still haven't figured out how to work the Google+ hangouts. Can some one kindly hold my hand a little and walk me through the process?
I have several hours today that would have been perfect for a Zazen hangout, but again, I'm not sure how they work.
Here's a description I once made
Treeleaf Google+ Zendo Guide
If you have no Google account yet, you need to create one:
1. Go to http://accounts.google.com
2. Click on the “Create an account” link next to the Sign In button and follow the instructions. It is easier for the administrator to add you to the community when you choose the same name at google as you chose for treeleaf. If unsure on some of the options, just go with the default, it can be altered later on.
Log into your Google account and go to the community page at
3. Bookmark this page, its your entry point to connect with your fellow sitters
4. Click the "Ask to join" button
5. Go to your treeleaf message box
and send a private message to either "Dosho" or "Myoku" so we can be sure its a treeleaf member asking to join.
You will be notified when you became a member of the community.
Please dont post anything in the community, its reserved for zazen!
Go to the community page to join an active hangout or to create a new one yourself. The "hangouts" area is on the right. For special events like the zazenkai, wait for the moderator to start the hangout.
By starting a hangout from the community page you automatically invite all community members to join you.
Please always mute your microphone (button on the top right of the hangout window)!
To publish your sitting time or look up other sangha members sitting time, please check the treeleaf calendar at
To add your sitting time, click "Add New Event" at the tope right, choose the "Ranged Event" for a single sit or "Recuring Event" for regular sits and enter "Zazen Your Name" as title and your intended time in "Start Date" and "End Date".
To control notifications from the Community go to the settings at
The important part is the "Receive notifications" section, it controls what results in an email being sent to you. When you not want to get an email or sms whenever a hangout starts, set the option "Invites me to a hangout" to Off.
You may also want to switch off the options in the "Manage subscriptions" area.