Thread: February 2nd, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

February 2nd, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Dear All,

OUR SUBJECTLESS TALK SUBJECT WILL BE RECENT KOANS FROM 'THE BOOK OF SERENITY'.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning))

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'll be here.

Gassho, Daizan

I'll be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

our subjectless talk subject will be recent koans from 'the book of serenity'.

Yugen
    Dear all,
    I will have to sit the zazenkai Saturday night US time. Sorry not to join you live tonight. I will be thinking of you.

Gassho
    Yugen

Mp
    I will be there.

Gassho
    Shingen

I'm in too

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

I'll be there. Looking forward to my first Monthly Zazenkai.

Gassho,

Jeff

Four hours in one go is not possible for me at the mo, I'm afraid (family reasons), so I will have to split it into two parts...

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

I will hopefully get done on time, if not, there is always tomorrow.
    Gassho, Jakudo Hinton
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

I'll have to miss this one and sit at a later date.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you guys, have a great weekend. Sorry for my dogs showing up, thanks it is a pet-friendly Zendo

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone and yes Koshin, my dog wanted to get into the Zazen action as well. Have a great weekend everyone.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you everyone and Jundo for the great talk.

Gassho,

Jeff

I hope I didn't disturb anyone with my ill fated attempt to jump in live after everything had already started. I thought I had successfully distracted the toddler, but I was discovered after only a few minutes. He sat with me for a brief few seconds then went on a rampage blowing out candles, turning off lights, dumping out incense, and re-arranging the alter (he was driving Buddha around like a car) He was also being so loud that I was irrationally worried that he would disturb everyone (I checked that the mic was muted like three times, but he is so very loud) Anyway, I decided to bail and will try to sit again tomorrow morning.

Gassho,
    Nengyo
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    I hope I didn't disturb anyone with my ill fated attempt to jump in live after everything had already started. I thought I had successfully distracted the toddler, but I was discovered after only a few minutes. He sat with me for a brief few seconds then went on a rampage blowing out candles, turning off lights, dumping out incense, and re-arranging the alter (he was driving Buddha around like a car) He was also being so loud that I was irrationally worried that he would disturb everyone (I checked that the mic was muted like three times, but he is so very loud) Anyway, I decided to bail and will try to sit again tomorrow morning.

Gassho,
    Nengyo
    I did not notice a thing at all.

I was reading about the monk's hall for Zazen (the Sodo) at Sojiji head temple. Actually, I have sat Sesshin there myself several times when I sat with the Lay group there, so can verify. They built the delivery road right next to the Sodo, so several times each sitting, some motorcycle delivery guy or truck passes by quite noisely. Everyone just keeps sitting.

I tell people when they come to Treeleaf Tsukuba ... and the birds are tweeting, the breeze is blowing, and trucks pass (sometimes a chopper from the military base) ...

... bird is just bird, breeze is just breeze, truck is just truck, copter is just copter. Same with dogs and toddlers.

Gassho, J

Hearing those birds half a world away is a charming aspect of these Zazenkais (plus it's a good indicator that my internet is working )

Thank you all who sat/will sit.

I really liked the talk... and the birds

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_u View Post
    Hearing those birds half a world away is a charming aspect of these Zazenkais (plus it's a good indicator that my internet is working )
    Usually it is the oil heater which likes to play "Twinkle Twinkle" or "Love me Tender" when the oil gets low. I can't find the button to switch that off.

In Dogen's day, they used live fire wood and coal for heat ... which explains why Eiheiji and Sojiji both kept burning down.

By the way, another things about the Sojiji Zazenkai ... They had (if can you believe it) a PA system that used to make loud announcements during Zazen, like "YAMAMOTO ROSHI, YOU HAVE A CALL ON LINE 2". At Taisoji temple, it was traffic sounds and the train passing every few minutes. At Nishijima Roshi's Dojo, it was the crowded children's playground right outside the open window as we sat on Saturday mornings.

Gassho, J

Will try and sit Sunday evening as I'm traveling to see family this weekend.

Gassho
    Matt

Thank you all for this practice.

Gassho, Daizan

Thank you everyone and especially Jundo for that off-topic talk which as perfectly on topic and touched me deeply,
    Gassho
    Myoku

Thank you Jundo for everything and to everyone sitting. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Heydeeho,

thank you all for your practise. I'll have to hoover a bit and then it's back to the cushion

Gassho,

Hans Chudo mOngen

Hi. will sit it all tonight ... Or else most of it with the remainder tomorrow night.

Thank you all.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Going to sit this now. Gassho, Matt

Thank you all for practicing.
    In gassho,
    Ed B
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Thank you all for your practice.

Willow

Sat with the recording yesterday.
    The Dharma Talk was really excellent!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Thank you all who sat or will sit
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LimoLama View Post
    Sat with the recording yesterday.
    The Dharma Talk was really excellent!

Gassho,

Timo
    It also amazes me that folks seem to like the talks that I feel are kind of "Ehhhh" ), but don't always for the one's which I think connected. Oh well. Thank you for appreciating this talk!

Daizan probably feels the same way about his paintings.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    It also amazes me that folks seem to like the talks that I feel are kind of "Ehhhh" ), but don't always for the one's which I think connected. Oh well. Thank you for appreciating this talk!

Daizan probably feels the same way about his paintings.

Gassho, J
    What do they say, "One persons garbage, is another persons treasure." I am with Timo, I always enjoy your talks Jundo and sometimes the unscripted ones are the best ... Truest to the heart I feel.

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    sometimes the unscripted ones are the best ... Truest to the heart I feel.
    Oh gee, none of them are scripted! Not like a have a team of writers and wardrobe people here.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Oh gee, none of them are scripted! Not like a have a team of writers and wardrobe people here.
    I can see it all now! "Quiet on the zafu" .... Action!

Originally Posted by Jundo;
    It also amazes me that folks seem to like the talks that I feel are kind of "Ehhhh"
    Yeah but; you dare to show us who you really are
    Last edited by Shokai; 02-06-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jundo.Thank you all for this sitting
    Gassho
    Gishu--George

Thank you all. Had to sit in two sessions this week.
    Gassho
    Myozan