Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2012

Thoughts and labels

In the short time that I have been practicing Zazen I have come to realize the tremendous amount of time that my mind spends in day dreams. Even the minute amount of time I feel that I have gotten back with practice provides amazing clarity. I have been reading through the Treeleaf recommended readings, currently finishing up Nothing Special: Living Zen. As I have gone through Joko’s material I have begun labeling my thoughts and recognizing their association with ego, self-centeredness, etc. There are times when I can’t place a label or association on a thought. That tossed me into a bit of a loop in wondering if those thoughts did have an unrecognized association, or if they were simply there to take up space and fill the calm. I would be interested in everyone’s beliefs as to whether all of our thoughts have some association, even if the associations are not at first recognizable?

Gassho,

Jeff
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hi Jeff,

I think some thoughts have some meaningful meaning and connection ... and some are just random stuff and babbling that the mind spits out. Also, all kinds of old memories, deep connections and understanding can come up in Zazen as the mind is still ... and also a lot of silliness (like the time the old Archies song "Sugar Sugar" got stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Did it mean anything? )

By the way, we also encourage thought labeling around here ...

Hi, Sometimes the simplest of practices can be most effective. The following is based on teachings by Thich Nhat Hahn as well as many others. It's roots stretch back to the very origins of Buddhism. It is a simple and common sense approach to changing how we think and feel ... realizing that our experience of life is always

... although not during seated Zazen itself, when we Just Sit without getting tangled in or stirring up thoughts and emotions (whether meaningful or random babbling or any other kind).

Here is a little more about Joko and her labeling ...

I've been reading 'nothing special' and 'everyday zen' and joko beck seems to make a case for not just noticing thoughts but labeling them before allowing them to go. I've been trying it and I think it's a good practice, but I wanted to know what others think about it? I haven't come across it in other books so far on Jundo's

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-22-2013, 04:24 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2012

Thanks, Jundo! I will review both posts.

Gassho, Jeff

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

A view from the inside of my head ... What could it mean?

Last edited by Jundo; 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM.
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kyonin
          Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
          • Oct 2010

Silliness of the mind? I must be the king of that! My mind throws everything from Muppets skits to metal songs while sitting.

The Archies have never came before, but now that I listened to the song they might

Sometimes I engage and get lost, but at the end I get back to the present moment.

Gassho,

Kyonin
          Hondō Kyōnin
          奔道 協忍

Comment

• Shokai
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Mar 2009

kappa-2-gokoku-shrine-gifu-city-photo-by-reggie-thomson-TN.jpg
            Who knew that frog could dance??
            btw, I haven't had a song stick in my head for quite some time; kinda miss it in a way

gassho, Shokai
            合掌,生開
            gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2012

I tend to get whatever song my daughter is practicing for piano stuck in my head. At the moment that's Found a peanut: Seems an appropriate tune after listening to all the lyrics.

Comment

• Jishin
                • Oct 2012

I have thoughts with the only association of no association ("noise") which is an interesting label in itself.

Comment

• Nindo

I often get pictures in quick sucession and quite unrelated to each other, like a random slideshow on my visual harddrive ... I think this is just a strategy to fill the void.

Comment

• Jakudo
                    • May 2009

I never have pictures in my mind while sitting, usually it's dialog of some type, coversations that i think may have happened or i think may happen. most times i cant even understand these conversations though, it's like they are "just below" the surface somehow. Kind of hard to explain....a pretty picture every now and then would be OK though......or not.
                    Gassho, Jakudo
                    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
                    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
                    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
                    寂道

Comment

• Nengyo
                      • May 2012

Lets face it. You haven't really lived until you've spent an entire zazen session listening to your own built in radio. Sometimes mine plays just one verse:

who lives in a pineapple under the sea? spongebob square pants

I think it would make me crazy if I weren't already so
                      If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Comment

Working...