Thread: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service - January 21 2013

Blog Entries

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service - January 21 2013

Greetings all,
    In the United States, January 21 is Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. This day has been designated a day of service by the U.S. Congress. There are a number of service activities being organized at the local level in honor of the legacy of human dignity and service to others. I think these are principles we live for globally, not just in the United States. I thought you might like to know of this initiative - my family and I will be out on the 19th and the 21st - one one day we will be collecting food donations for the local Hunger Prevention Project, on the other we will be doing a cleanup along the coast (in a location yet to be determined). This depends somewhat on the weather - it is snowing here presently!

Please consider supporting this legacy and standing together - it is all part of our practice.

Here is the link - there is a lot of neat information:

http://mlkday.gov/

Deep bows,
    Yugen
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Thank you for the link and your efforts Yugen.

Perhaps I will use this opportunity to try my burrito project effort.

Gassho.
    Chris

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

This is an excellent idea Yugen...thank you for sharing it.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Shudo Dosho - Ordained Priest-in-Training
    With your help and guidance from Jundo & Taigu
    I am learning, but please take what I say with a
    grain of salt, especially in matters of the Dharma.

Yes, great idea ... Thank you Yugen.

Gassho
    Shingen

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?
    ~ Dogen Zenji

I agree, this is a great idea. I like the idea of having one specific day a year, that we all know is coming, as a day for service. While I am sure we are all doing individual days of service in our own time, scattered here and there, a single day that we all agree on would be good for our small community, our sangha. IMHO.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Hi,
    I'm at work that day and child minding all evening. However, maybe I can do something simple, like pick up the rubbish on our road. I should be able to fit that in.
    Gassho,
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Ordained Soto Zen Priest in Training
    Dublin, Ireland

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.
    "Here the way unfolds."

Will be at work, but some opportunity to help surely will arise

Gassho

P.S. Yup, I know, my English sucks

So, just to update,
    Our street is cleaner now, thanks to Martin Luther and my son Arthur's help. 20 mins produced a largish bag of rubbish. Normally people just clean outside their own home. I think people thought we were mad!
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Ordained Soto Zen Priest in Training
    Dublin, Ireland

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.
    "Here the way unfolds."

Blog Entries
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358807689.515351.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358807735.169468.jpg

We are at the MLK Dinner to benefit the local Hunger Prevention Program, helping setup and preparing food. The lovely woman in the picture took a break from cooking food to join our two sons and me.

Interested to hear the dinner talk, but first, chocolate cake.

More notes to follow.

What a great day.

Gassho
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 01-21-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Blog Entries
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358810780.197181.jpg

Brief excerpts from Rev. Green's talk - regarding "I Have a Dream" almost fifty years later:

"Vision encourages unity ... And is the framework for leading the journey...

MLK says that we are all in debt to those who came before us - this recognition challenges our notion of self-sufficiency - we are all connected (sound familiar?) - all part of a community... With its roots in a love that doesn't ask for anything in return. We must generate a vision for that which we can't see ... for a society we aspire to... The status quo will remain the status quo unless we generate a vision for that which we wish to realize....

A vision without a task is but a dream..."

We are all on this journey together... and there is the journey we must travel alone.

What is your vision? What is your task to support that vision?

Deep bows

Postscript: Over $1000 was raised tonight for Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program!
    Last edited by Yugen; 01-22-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Hello folks,

thank you for all your efforts, they are very inspiring. I'm currently thinking of making a real fool of myself by going on a Takuhatsu walk in Dusseldorf in March....have to find a straw hat first though and will have to talk to the Police....we'll see what happens.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
    Chudo Mongen, Ordained Novice Priest-in-Training