Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service - January 21 2013

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service - January 21 2013

Greetings all,
    In the United States, January 21 is Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. This day has been designated a day of service by the U.S. Congress. There are a number of service activities being organized at the local level in honor of the legacy of human dignity and service to others. I think these are principles we live for globally, not just in the United States. I thought you might like to know of this initiative - my family and I will be out on the 19th and the 21st - one one day we will be collecting food donations for the local Hunger Prevention Project, on the other we will be doing a cleanup along the coast (in a location yet to be determined). This depends somewhat on the weather - it is snowing here presently!

Please consider supporting this legacy and standing together - it is all part of our practice.

Here is the link - there is a lot of neat information:

http://mlkday.gov/

Deep bows,
    Yugen
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Thank you for the link and your efforts Yugen.

Perhaps I will use this opportunity to try my burrito project effort.

Gassho.
    Chris

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

This is an excellent idea Yugen...thank you for sharing it.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Ordained Priest -In-Training
    Please take what I say with a grain of salt,
    especially in matters of the Dharma!

Yes, great idea ... Thank you Yugen.

Gassho
    Shingen
    倫道 真現

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

I agree, this is a great idea. I like the idea of having one specific day a year, that we all know is coming, as a day for service. While I am sure we are all doing individual days of service in our own time, scattered here and there, a single day that we all agree on would be good for our small community, our sangha. IMHO.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Hi,
    I'm at work that day and child minding all evening. However, maybe I can do something simple, like pick up the rubbish on our road. I should be able to fit that in.
    Gassho,
    Myozan

Will be at work, but some opportunity to help surely will arise

Gassho

P.S. Yup, I know, my English sucks

So, just to update,
    Our street is cleaner now, thanks to Martin Luther and my son Arthur's help. 20 mins produced a largish bag of rubbish. Normally people just clean outside their own home. I think people thought we were mad!
    Gassho
    Myozan

Blog Entries
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358807689.515351.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358807735.169468.jpg

We are at the MLK Dinner to benefit the local Hunger Prevention Program, helping setup and preparing food. The lovely woman in the picture took a break from cooking food to join our two sons and me.

Interested to hear the dinner talk, but first, chocolate cake.

More notes to follow.

What a great day.

Gassho
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 01-22-2013 at 12:13 AM.
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Blog Entries
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358810780.197181.jpg

Brief excerpts from Rev. Green's talk - regarding "I Have a Dream" almost fifty years later:

"Vision encourages unity ... And is the framework for leading the journey...

MLK says that we are all in debt to those who came before us - this recognition challenges our notion of self-sufficiency - we are all connected (sound familiar?) - all part of a community... With its roots in a love that doesn't ask for anything in return. We must generate a vision for that which we can't see ... for a society we aspire to... The status quo will remain the status quo unless we generate a vision for that which we wish to realize....

A vision without a task is but a dream..."

We are all on this journey together... and there is the journey we must travel alone.

What is your vision? What is your task to support that vision?

Deep bows

Postscript: Over $1000 was raised tonight for Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program!
    Last edited by Yugen; 01-22-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Hello folks,

thank you for all your efforts, they are very inspiring. I'm currently thinking of making a real fool of myself by going on a Takuhatsu walk in Dusseldorf in March....have to find a straw hat first though and will have to talk to the Police....we'll see what happens.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen