Thread: A post jukai question on some zen traditions

A post jukai question on some zen traditions

So, I was looking again over my lineage chart and I was wondering what people traditionally do with them. Is it normally framed and displayed or kept somewhere personal and private? Right now it is still folded up on my alter, so I can easily unfold it and stare at it. I get the same feeling I used to get when I learned the lineage of the military unit I belonged to. It is both humbling and inspiring to look at all those who blazed the trail before me.

And for a somewhat less pressing question; Is there a a story or reason behind putting the Rakusu on top of your head before saying the verse of the kesa? Not that everything in life needs a reason
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Myoshin
    Hi Nengyo,

Jundo wrote a little about it in an aswer or a thread not a long time ago, but we can wait his answer soon

Gassho

Myoshin
    Here what he said in "what's in the rakusu envelope" thread

"Someone asked if the Kechimyaku, and its envelope, can be framed and hung on the wall. Well, it is not exactly a "Diploma" (more a "Non-birth certificate!"), nor is it meant as a decoration or work of art, but I do not see why not. In the past, folks usually kept their mystical paraphenalia hidden from view (but I say "LET IN THE SUNHINE!") Usually, I keep mine in a lock box, although I do have one I received framed in my office. But do not expect anything very gorgeous or fancy ... everything here at Treeleaf is rustic or homemade with love and good intentions (more than artist's skill)."

I didn't know about a military lineage, great

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by yang hsin View Post
    Here what he said in "what's in the rakusu envelope" thread

"Someone asked if the Kechimyaku, and its envelope, can be framed and hung on the wall. Well, it is not exactly a "Diploma" (more a "Non-birth certificate!"), nor is it meant as a decoration or work of art, but I do not see why not. In the past, folks usually kept their mystical paraphenalia hidden from view (but I say "LET IN THE SUNHINE!") Usually, I keep mine in a lock box, although I do have one I received framed in my office. But do not expect anything very gorgeous or fancy ... everything here at Treeleaf is rustic or homemade with love and good intentions (more than artist's skill)."

I didn't know about a military lineage, great

Gassho
    Thanks Myoshin! I must be getting old, because I reread that thread a day before Jukai and I didn't remember reading that part at all. Or maybe it was just all the excitement of the days events made me forget. I will probably lock mine up once I've had enough of staring at it

Myoshin
    staring I don't know

The original is hidden and I made a simple color copy on the wall where I seat.
    Simple skilfull mean I think, if it can remember the precepts, or a serious way, not a game, why not...

Gassho

Mine was framed for me for my birthday last year. It is up in my room because that's where I sit. The smaller piece of paper is kept in the envelope it came in. Occasionally, someone will ask me what it means and I tell them. Then, they get this weird look on their face like they'd rather not talk about it anymore-- like they think they've unwittingly gotten themselves into a religious discussion. So yeah, it's hardly shown off. I really like seeing it every day, though. It gives me a sense of responsibility to my "ancestors in practice."
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

To put it on one s head is to show the highest form of respect.
    To frame it is optional.
    I have it folded and do unfold it once a year as well as the shiho, thr transmission document on a white silk.

Gassho

Taigu

Ahhh, it was so obvious that I was sure to miss it. Thank you Taigu!

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    To frame it is optional.
    I have it folded and do unfold it once a year as well as the shiho, thr transmission document on a white silk.
    Thank you Taigu, I too was curious about that.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

I did frame mine and put it where I can see it throughout the day, just as a little "stay on track" sort of thing. Brings me back to myself when I glance at it. I don't think in Western culture we are in danger of "showing it off" for the most part. In the US people are usually pretty annoyed/scared of getting into religious conversations everywhere I've gone. I haven't received one "that's so cool" comment, nor did I hope for them, but people in general just have glanced at it and continued down the hallway. We don't have that many people over our house, either, so it's not seen much by anyone other than my husband and me.

By the way, funny side note, my husband is like the Jukai policeman. He doesn't practice Zen or any form of Buddhism, but he knew what it was all about, and is not afraid to call me out if he thinks I'm about to say/do something not quite right! He's been cracking me up in the last week!

Gassho,
    Dani/Seizan

Quote Originally Posted by Seizan View Post
    By the way, funny side note, my husband is like the Jukai policeman. He doesn't practice Zen or any form of Buddhism, but he knew what it was all about, and is not afraid to call me out if he thinks I'm about to say/do something not quite right! He's been cracking me up in the last week!

Gassho,
    Dani/Seizan
    LOL. My Wife does the same thing. When she gives me the eye, I know I've been warned.

Gassho.
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    Is there a a story or reason behind putting the Rakusu on top of your head before saying the verse of the kesa?
    On top of your head??!
    Here is a little gem you may enjoy(I know I did!) once written by Jundo
    Jundo wrote:
    You do not need to put the Rakusu on you head, but you must put your head under the Rakusu. 8)

This quote, and more on the subject of Rakusu procedures, can be read from this great old thread here.....
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...kusu-Procedure

Gassho,
    Hoyu
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)