Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Calendar

Rolling Calendar

Hi all,
    I know many of you don't look at the Calendar often, but do look at these threads. So, in addition to the calendar, I thought I'd open up this rolling thread where people can post events that are about to happen ... like "sitting zazen in our Zendo in half an hour", and the like. I hope it is useful. If it isn't, it will simply die off.
    Gassho,
    Myozan

Great idea! It might not be a bad idea to park it as a sticky post if it's alright with Jundo.

Gassho.
    Chris

Great idea!

Sitting Zazen in our zendo this evening, Tuesday January 8th, 9pm AST.

Gassho
    Shohei

Mp
    Diddo ... great idea Myozan.

Gassho
    Michael

Kojip sits every morning at 6:30am EST (GMT -5 I think). I join him about half the time. If I don't drag my lazy carcass out of bed in the morning, I sit in the evening around 9pm. I'll be sitting tonight I do believe. (Sorry I'm going to miss your sit Shohei!)

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello everyone,
    I'm not sure its a great idea. Myozan has a good thought, he says "in addition" and for imminent sitting, but will it stay this way OR being used for all kind of zazen times announcements ? Moreover ... isnt the Calendar generally more suited ?

When I look at a thread, I need to read many posts, wheras in the Calendar I see it at a glance whats happening today,

Moreover, here I see a couple of timezones I dont know and where I need to look up a timezone website how that translates into my local time, whereas the calendar shows every single item right in my time zone.

Finally, for the sitter its easier to just post, not much to do, but the work is for people doing the above mentioned, whereas the Calendar is a bit more work (really it never takes me longer than a few minutes) whereas the potential sitting partners have less work.

Finally 2 (the sequel) one of the ideas of the rework with the Community was to move from Posts + Google Calendar + Treeleaf Calendar to ONE Calendar, as the threefold time announcements not worked too good ( I trust some people found each other, but wouldnt it be better to have one place to look at, I feel YES )

Of course you can do as you like, and thats just me, but I believe if you spend a single minute with the calendar its serving this purpose much better. I know some people hate the calendar, but wouldnt it be a good practice to try it (again) ? Its three steps (see http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?10484), it might take a few time, but it never takes more than a minute for me now.

Gassho
    Myoku

You make some valid points Myoku. I'm one of those guilty of disliking the calendar (It's difficult for me to do from my phone and I'm not always at a computer)

Gassho
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi all,
    It seems there are a number of views here, as is natural. Some for. Some against.

If people feel this is a bad idea, as I said at the outset, this thread will simply fall into disuse.

If it is useful, then it might be used.

No matter.

Gassho
    Myozan

Hi folks - thought I would chime in. I see the point in both formats. The calendar is great for people who know their schedule in advance. We need this. Posting on G+ or in a thread if your schedule changes frequently can also be helpful. Making a sweeping generalization, I would say that the evening sitters (at least in this part of the world) have to contend with the latter. I'll post my sits on the calendar when I can; please forgive me when I'm relegated to make spur of the moment sitting decisions.

In any event, thank you to everyone who posted. You have made the G+ sitting experience what it is today.

Gassho,
    Shujin

Hi all
    In my case, as Shujin pointed out, I am at the mercy of my wifes schedule and my children's ability to fall to sleep or stall that... drinks, pee break, boogy men etc.
    So In my case I set up my events in the calendar far in advance knowing full well there will be a chance this will need to be altered last minute once in a while.

The calendar is very key part of the google+ zendo idea and its important to get the sittings posted there. Posting here does not hurt at all, and is a bit more visible so a bit of redundancy to ensure folks know whats going on when is not a bad thing. If folks do not find it too useful it will certainly fade out.

Gassho
    Shohei

Got 40 mins free. So going to meditate on Google+ now for 30 mins. It's 19:10 GMT on Friday evening.
    Gassho
    M

Going to re-sit the zazenkai in about 5 minutes.....
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hi all
    Tonights sitting (9 pm AST) will be shortened to one session of zazen no chanting as I am recovering from the flu and my eldest complained my "noise" kept her up and she couldnt get back to sleep last time :P. So for this sitting only It will be "no-frills"

Gassho
    Shohei

Wednesday Evening Zazen is in two and a half hours time: at 9pm GMT. All welcome. Gassho.

Hi folks
    Early to bed tonight, 30 minutes of zazen only, instead of the multi zazen, kinhin and chanting.
    Will be on at 8 est/9 ast this evening.

Gassho
    Shohei

Tonight's sit is cancelled due to sickness of both me and the kids (yeah, plural!).

Gassho
    Shohei

Shohei,
    Hope you and the kids get well soon.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Hope everyone is feeling better soon.
    Gassho, Jakudo Hinton
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Thanks for the well wishes.
    I am a big baby when sick but my youngest was quite ill lastnight and early this morning and so is off to seek some doctors attention. Myself I will suck it up and get back on my butt or perhaps some horizontal zazen.
    Gassho
    Shohei

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    Thanks for the well wishes.
    I am a big baby when sick but my youngest was quite ill lastnight and early this morning and so is off to seek some doctors attention. Myself I will suck it up and get back on my butt or perhaps some horizontal zazen.
    Gassho
    Shohei
    Hope you and your little one feel better. I too am like that, when I am sick, I am big baby and just want to hind under my covers.

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen
    Hi Shohei,
    Everyone get well soon! I didn't see your post in time last night so I sat with you anyway!! Be well and see you soon!

Gassho
    Yugen

On the mend and tonight its on the cushion in Google+ 9pm AST, please jump in and sit a bit or all if you would like!

Gassho
    Shohei

Wow! a week seems to go by so fast when your having fun ;D
    tonight's sit will be 30 mins straight up zazen due to a sudden change in plans in work schedules and my absolute lack of sleep!!

9pm AST.

The lack of sleep... awoke in the wee hours this morning (2:45am) to the blood-curdling screams of my daughter rampaging through our house. When met and brought down to a level where she could talk... it turned out the a light bulb went out on her way to the bathroom.

but that is a much longer story that ends in me getting 3 hours of sleep

Gassho
    Shohei

Shohei,
    Wish I could sit with you, but it's 2am here when you sit. Hopefully I won't have a night like yours! And no bed invasions that leave me on the edge, half falling on the floor with my son's feet in my face!

Sleep well bro!
    Gassho
    Myozan

Yes I hope you have a good night sleep!
    Its easier for me to meet you at your time so I will catch you on tomorrow(perhaps a bit late as I just arrive home from work when you start)

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi Folks!
    Due to next-to-no internet (it took 5 days thus far to get here to type this!) Tomorrows scheduled Zazen will be sat sans technology! Join me at 9 pm AST. I will be on just not able to get on line. Techs are busy and said they will have me sorted out Friday. Much metta to them - I was clean out of connection for the past 5 days and storm stayed to boot... will NOT see you Tuesday night (but know I am sitting there anywho )

Gassho
    Shohei

Just a note here. I have removed the 6:30 am EST sitting from the Treeleaf calendar. Household responsibilities have pushed my working hours later into the night, and getting up a 6 am is not practical. I'll be sitting at 7am, but it will be informal.. joining in with a hangout if there is one going on.

Gassho Daizan

Apologies to anyone who showed up for a sit this morning...I just plain forgot.

All should be back to normal next week and I will host my evening sit tonight as usual.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Wednesday Evening Zazen
    On Google+ at 9PM GMT later today / tonight
    Come and go as you need
    Gassho

I'm baaaaack.
    Internet seems stable enough again that I will resume the Tuesday evening Zazen+.
    Even if you cannot sit the long run, just drop in sit and go as you can!

Gassho
    Shohei

Great Shohei!
    What time will you be live?
    Gassho
    Myozan

Oh Sorry I linked to it in the post but It will be
    9pm AST (-4 GMT) Tuesday.
    Thanks!

Gassho
    Shohei

Sorry for the short notice folks but tonights sit has to be moved to a later date due to unforeseen stomach flu ... multiple folks :C

gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    Sorry for the short notice folks but tonights sit has to be moved to a later date due to unforeseen stomach flu ... multiple folks :C

gassho
    Shohei
    Hope y'all feel better soon

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Get well soon everyone. Terrible colds going round this year.
    Myozan

Wednesday Evening Zazen:
    at 9PM GMT Tonight.
    Please come and go as you need.
    All welcome.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Wednesday Evening Zazen, AKA 'The More Sitting, Less Talking Zen Sitting' , will be at 9PM GMT (London Time) this evening. If you wish to join, go to the events section in your Google+ account and go to the Wednesday Evening Zazen event page. At 9PM it'lll go live and a button on the page will appear to allow you to join the live sitting. You are all invited ... even if you didn't get an invite!
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 10-16-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Myozan,

I suggest that all those joining the Dutch hut tonight move to your sitting on Wednesday. Is that OK? Two sittings at the same time in the same timezone seems a bit silly. Since you have been sitting for almost 2 years every week at the same time, your event is the standard See you tonight brother!

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

Hi,
    It is not about 'my' sitting or 'your' sitting, Enkyo. But it would be nice to sit together.

Myozan

Yes, it's about where we sit together

Gassho

E.
    Mu

Hi Myozan,
    I didn't get an invite again - I usually get a number invites per week but this week nothing. Any body got any ideas?

Gassho
    David

David,

We're working on it, seen here: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...s-for-Sittings

I think we're doing it the way it's supposed to be done and it's a Google issue. So, until they address it we'll have to work around it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by dmorga01 View Post
    Hi Myozan,
    I didn't get an invite again - I usually get a number invites per week but this week nothing. Any body got any ideas?

Hi.
    Dont know. If you want to join tonight, go to the page for this event in the events section of G+. Then at 9pm a 'Join' button will appear. Click that.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Myozan are you getting my PM 's

Gassho

David

Hi David.
    This is like hide and seek!

I'm not sure I'm getting your messages. I got just one in the last two weeks.

Brief chant later?

Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you for this thread!

I will be sitting on G+ this evening 7 pacific time. 30 minutes zazen. However, if anyone wishes to use the time in another way (like silent sewing, or a shorter sitting time-that is fine!)
    Here's the link to the event:
    https://plus.google.com/events/cfctj...Ovc_fzH3KqahwE
    Hopefully the link works okay for everyone, if not let me know.

Gassho
    Bunny

Wednesday Evening Zazen will be at 9PM GMT (London Time) this evening. If you wish to join, go to the events section in your Google+ account and go to the Wednesday Evening Zazen event page. At 9PM it'll go live and a button on the page will appear to allow you to join the live sitting. You are all invited ... even if you didn't get an invite!

Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 10-30-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Wednesday Evening Zazen will be at 9PM GMT (London Time) this evening. If you wish to join, go to the events section in your Google+ account and go to the Wednesday Evening Zazen event page. At 9PM it'll go live and a button on the page will appear to allow you to join the live sitting. You are all invited ... even if you didn't get an invite!

Gassho
    Myozan

Yugen
    Hello all,
    Thursday evening zazen at 8 PM ET US will not take place as it is Halloween and I will be out trick or treating with my son. If we are back at a reasonable time and not sick from eating too much candy I will sit on G+ between 10 and 11 PM. I will send out invites to the usual suspects if you care to sit on the spur of the moment. I will be back on schedule for Sunday morning zazen!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Meanwhile, at the other side of the great big salty pond........

Hi everyone,

After my laptop had to be returned to the manufacturer, things kinda slowed down a bit on G+. Now all is fixed and Dutch Zazen hut is again available to all who like to join me in my tattered wooden shed. Everyday at 21:00 CEST ( Europe) except on Wednesday (when we attend Wednesday Evening Zazen hosted by Myozan) and on Sundays. Hope to see you when at all possible!

Gassho

Enkyo
    Mu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast