Thread: Google+ : The Treeleaf Community is there

Google+ : The Treeleaf Community is there

Hello fellow Sangha Members,
    we have been using g+ hangouts as our zendo for more than a year, but the procedure of finding treeleaf, adding and "adding back" to circles was not too convenient. Google recently introduced the "Community", which much simplifies the process, so we will move from the use of the "Circles" to the "Community". Everyone who was in Treeleafs circle just got an invitation to the community at g+, just accept it and you are done. Everyone who not got an invitation or not even is at Google+ yet, just read on.

Below is the Guide for using the Community as our Zendo, please everyone read it once, as it also contains infos about Silence in the zendo, usage of the Community and how to find fellow sitters (aka the Calendar):

Treeleaf Google+ Zendo Guide

Account

If you have no Google account yet, you need to create one:
    - Go to http://accounts.google.com
    - Click on the “Create an account” link next to the Sign In button and follow the instructions.
    If unsure on some of the options, just go with the default, it can be altered later on.

Connect

https://plus.google.com/communities/...70299605274399

- Bookmark this page, its your entry point to connect with your fellow sitters
    - Click the "Ask to join" button
    - Go to your treeleaf message box

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/private.php?do=newpm

and send a private message to either "Dosho" or "Myoku" so we can be sure its a treeleaf member asking to join.
    You will be notified when you became a member of the community.
    Please dont post anything in the community, its reserved for zazen!

Hangouts

Go to the community page to join an active hangout or to create a new one yourself. The "hangouts" area is on the right. For special events like the zazenkai, wait for the moderator to start the hangout. By starting a hangout from the community page you automatically invite all community members to join you.
    Please always mute your microphone (button on the top right of the hangout window)!

Calendar

To publish your sitting time or look up other sangha members sitting time, please check the treeleaf calendar at

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/calendar.php

To add your sitting time, click "Add New Event" at the tope right, choose the "Ranged Event" for a single sit or "Reccuring Event" for regular sits and enter "Zazen Your Name" as title and your intended time in "Start Date" and "End Date".

Email Notifications

To control emails you get for each hangout from the Community go to the settings at
    https://www.google.com/settings/plus
    The important part is the "Receive notifications" section, it controls what results in an email being sent to you. When you not want to get an email or sms whenever a hangout starts, set the option "Invites me to a hangout" to Off.
    You may also want to switch off the options in the "Manage subscriptions" area.

Excellent! Now we just need to make a virtual treeleaf tea room where we can all chat after sitting!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Excellent Myoku!
    Charles there is one every Sunday afternoon called the tea party!

Gassho
    Shohei

I sat this morning at 6:30 and left the hangout at 7:10. Yet looking now, at almost 10:00 am, it still shows the hangout continuing. This is different than past hangouts that end when exited. How do I end a hangout if not by exiting?

Gassho, kojip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojip View Post
    I sat this morning at 6:30 and left the hangout at 7:10. Yet looking now, at almost 10:00 am, it still shows the hangout continuing. This is different than past hangouts that end when exited. How do I end a hangout if not by exiting?
    This is not related to the Community, I saw this frequently for certain hangouts, almost daily during the past weeks. I guess Google has some issues.
    Gassho
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    This is not related to the Community, I saw this frequently for certain hangouts, almost daily during the past weeks. I guess Google has some issues.
    Gassho
    Myoku
    Ok. Thank you, Myoku.

Gassho, kojip

Thanks Myoku and Dosho, expect i will sit tommorow in our new Zendo
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Nindo
    Great job!

Mp
    Wonderful job! I did get the notice and have added the Treeleaf Zendo my Community in Google+.

Gassho
    Michael

Great. Thank you

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Thank you Myoku for all of your efforts in getting this up and running.

There is also a new link in our forum menu to our Google Community Page for added convenience.

Gassho.
    Chris

I get lots of emails saying I've been added back in to Google +. What does that mean? Didn't know I'd been taken out!!
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Hi Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack4Buddha View Post
    I get lots of emails saying I've been added back in to Google +. What does that mean? Didn't know I'd been taken out!!
    "add back" is a term used by google to indicate that people you added to one of your circles did in return add you to their circles (so to speak "add back"), this has nothing to do with the treeleaf community. Here is the general help on Circles : http://support.google.com/plus/bin/a...answer=1254208

Gassho
    Myoku

This is great and nice Google finally added something like this. Thanks Myoku!

Gassho

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Thanks Myoku, most of the people I have are in my Treeleaf circle. I've never participated in a Hangout. Last night there was one from Treeleaf (I forget who was in it). I clicked on it and nothing happened. I'm hoping I will be able to see the Jukai ceremony on Sunday in real time and participate.
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack4Buddha View Post
    Thanks Myoku, most of the people I have are in my Treeleaf circle. I've never participated in a Hangout. Last night there was one from Treeleaf (I forget who was in it). I clicked on it and nothing happened. I'm hoping I will be able to see the Jukai ceremony on Sunday in real time and participate.
    Same here!

Still piddling with it, still pondering it, and still hoping it will work. My old mind just ain't what it used to be.

We both have two more days to get it.

Gassho
    Alan

Hello Alan, Jack,
    so you click the "Hangout" button and really nothing happens ? No window opens, no error message or anything ? I've not heard of such thing before, I tried to google for it but could not find anything. Maybe the plugin is missing (but it usually tells you then), its available here:

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangoutplugin

Sorry, seems I have no further idea's ... anyone else ?
    Gassho
    Myoku

Is it possible that their browser's options are not set to go to a new window when it's opened and it's hiding behind the first window? Just a thought.

Gassho,

Lisa

Hello folks,

before the beginning of the hangout last night, the hangout window didn't load properly (or rather not at all). It might have been a temporary Google + issue as well, since it was the first time that I encountered this problem (which is why I had to start again four minutes later).

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

[QUOTE=AlanIn;92987]Same here!

'My old mind just ain't what it used to be.

Mine neither - but I'm sure we'll all get the hang of this hanging out process sooner or later (later in my case)

Gassho

Willow

Thank you everyone,
    I once had that too, that hangouts just wont start, but for me always a window opened (just it not loaded anything), sometimes I needed to restart the browser, sometimes the computer, but it went away a few month agin and since then I have a 100% success rate (now that i write this it will probably fail the next time).

There are of course some general advices, which might help
    - make sure your computer runs the latest updates for your operating system
    - make sure to have the latest version of the browser available
    - reinstall the google plugin https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangoutplugin
    - make sure your flash version is up to date too
    - after you did all this, make sure to reboot

It could also be, if using an old computer, thats its simply not possible, feel free to post your computer specs here in case of problems, it might help to spot the problem,
    Good luck
    Gassho
    Myoku

When I start a Hangout from the Communities / Treeleaf zendo screen, I noticed that the notice appears in my Home / All stream. Does this mean that the Hangout is visible to the world? After I invite the Treeleaf Circle the notice appears also in the Home / Treeleaf stream. Do I need to do this?
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Hello Rich,

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    When I start a Hangout from the Communities / Treeleaf zendo screen, I noticed that the notice appears in my Home / All stream. Does this mean that the Hangout is visible to the world?
    No, you switch what YOU see with that buttons on top of the stream, so with All you see posts from ALL your circles and communities.

After I invite the Treeleaf Circle the notice appears also in the Home / Treeleaf stream. Do I need to do this?
    In short: You dont need to do this. Starting a hangout from the community pages invites everyone in the community (is visible in their stream). The treeleaf circle is basically no longer required and I doubt we will maintain it as it serves no purpose which the community cant do easier.

When you see your hangout in the stream you will see it reads "This post is visible to a limited audience" and clicking on the words "limited audience" will show with whom its shared, BUT there is a bug in the hangouts/community so it will show only you, nevertheless its shared with everyone in the community, I see your hangouts regularly, even when active (just its the time I'm supposed to work :-)).
    Gassho
    Myoku

Hello Rich,

No, you switch what YOU see with that buttons on top of the stream, so with All you see posts from ALL your circles and communities.

In short: You dont need to do this. Starting a hangout from the community pages invites everyone in the community (is visible in their stream). The treeleaf circle is basically no longer required and I doubt we will maintain it as it serves no purpose which the community cant do easier.

When you see your hangout in the stream you will see it reads "This post is visible to a limited audience" and clicking on the words "limited audience" will show with whom its shared, BUT there is a bug in the hangouts/community so it will show only you, nevertheless its shared with everyone in the community, I see your hangouts regularly, even when active (just its the time I'm supposed to work :-)).
    Gassho
    Myoku
    Thank you.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Alan, at least I'm not alone! I have a MacBook Pro, but that shouldn't make any difference. The plugin has been reinstalled the browser set to open new page when restarting and computer rebooted. The buttons are still dead. I can watch a hangout that's in my stream but that's not in real time. I'll keep at it tomorrow and see if I can get some tech help from Google. And of course any more suggestions are welcome!
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Jack,
    I'm on Mac too (as several other here),
    - when using Safari, do you maybe hav set its preferences to block pop-up windows or disabled plugins (both in preferences/security) ?
    - you may want to alternatively install Googles Chrome browser and try with that
    Good luck
    _()_
    Myoku

Jack,
    I'm on Mac too (as several other here),
    - when using Safari, do you maybe hav set its preferences to block pop-up windows or disabled plugins (both in preferences/security) ?
    - you may want to alternatively install Googles Chrome browser and try with that
    Good luck
    _()_
    Myoku
    Welll, it finally works! I'd been using Chrome as my browser so I switched to Safari, and that's what worked. I have no idea why. So, I hope to see everyone at the Jukai ceremony tomorrow.
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

T-minus 11 hours ... all systems go!
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    T-minus 11 hours ... all systems go!

Gassho
    Michael