Thread: January 5th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

January 5th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

SIT WITH US TO WELCOME 2013, and THIS EVER NEW MOMENT. PLEASE PRINT OUT THE SHORT NEW YEARS TALKS BY MASTER DOGEN I AM POSTING BELOW.

ALSO NOTE, DAYLIGHT SAVINGS CLOCKS HAVE ROLLED BACK IN EUROPE, and NEXT WEEK IN AMERICA.

Dear All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning))

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-04-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'll be there.

Gassho,
    Dosho

NEW YEARS COMMEMORATIVE DISCOURSES by MASTER DOGEN, from EIHEI KOROKU [translation by Taigen Dan Leighton & Shohaku Okumura]

1-32

Today is the beginning of a new year [1241], and also a day with three mornings. I say three mornings because it is the beginning of the year, beginning of the month, and the beginning of the day.
    Here is a story. A monk asked Jingqing Daofu, "Is there Buddha Dharma at the beginning of the new year or not?"
    Jingqing said, "There is."
    The monk asked, "What is the Buddha Dharma at the beginning of the new year?"
    Jingqing said, "New Year's Day begins with a blessing, and the ten thousand things are completely new."
    The monk said, "Thank you, teacher, for your answer."
    Jingqing said, "This old monk today lost the advantage."
    A monk asked Mingjiao Zhimen Shikuan, "Is there Buddha Dharma
    at the beginning of the new year, or not?"
    Mingjiao said, "There is not."
    The monk said, "Every year is a good year, every day is a good day; why isn't there [Buddha Dharma in the beginning of the new year]?"
    Mingjiao said, "Old man Zhang drinks, and old man Li gets drunk."
    The monk said, "Great Elder, [you are like] a dragon's head and snake's tail."
    Mingjiao said, "This old monk today lost the advantage."
    The teacher Dogen said: [Both teachers] say the same, "This old monk today lost the advantage."
    Hearing such a story many people say, "These are good stories about [teachers] losing advantage [in a dialogue]." This mountain monk [Dogen] does not at all agree. Although Jingqing and Mingjiao speak of one loss, they do not yet see one gain. Suppose somebody were to ask me, Kosho, if there is Buddha Dharma at the beginning of the new year, or not.
    I would say to them: There is.
    Suppose the monk responded, "What is the Buddha Dharma at the beginning of the new year?"
    This mountain monk would say to him: May each and every body, whether staying still or standing up, have ten thousand blessings.
    Suppose the monk said, "In that case, in accordance with this saying, I will practice."
    This mountain monk would say to him: I, Kosho, today have advantage after advantage.
    Now please practice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1-90

AS THE HEAVENLY sky is clear, each and every thing purifies each and every other thing. The earth is covered with nourishing moisture, penetrating a thousand things and soaking ten thousand things. How is it such a time as this?
    After a pause [Dogen] said:
    The harmonious expression of spring makes the whole world fragant,
    The deity of spring sits impassively in the Cloud [monks'] hall.
    On every branch their flowers blooming of coral color,
    The opening of blossoms, throughout the world open, makes this is
    a celestial realm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2-142

The great master Dogen in a New Year’s dharma hall discourse said, “The ancient Buddha Hongzhi, while residing at Tiantong, in a New Year’s dharma hall discourse said, ‘In the New Year’s morning zazen the myriad things are natural. Mind after mind is beyond dichotomies. Buddha after buddha manifests presently. The snow on the river is completely pure and white. The mind of the son of Sha is satisfied while on his fishing boat. Study this.’”

The teacher Dogen then said, “This morning I, Daibutsu, respectfully continue this poem.” After a pause Dogen said, “This great auspicious New Year’s morning, I enjoy zazen. In accord with this occasion, offering congratulations is natural. Mind after mind the spring faces laugh with delight. Buddha after buddha pulls the oxen around before our eyes, presenting an auspicious sign. Over a foot of snow covers the mountain. Fishing for a person, fishing for a self on the fishing boat.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'll be there!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    I too will be there live.

Gassho
    Michael

Yugen
    I'll be there.

Deep bows
    Yugen

I'll be here/there.

Gassho, kojip

Hello everyone,
    for those who cannot attend live and have time a 7 hours later, I'll host a re-sit at g+ at 7am GMT, its also added to the Google+ and to the Treeleaf calendar so you can lookup your local time. A video of the original zazenkai is streamed into the hangout.
    Gassho
    Myoku

Yugen
    Myoku,
    I think it's really neat that you are hosting this, a deep bow to you -

Yugen

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Myoku,
    I think it's really neat that you are hosting this, a deep bow to you -

Yugen

I'm getting lost with the time zone, day light savings time conversion. I think I'll be at the resit, which I think is at 1AM my time. We'll see.

Mp
    Thank you everyone and have a wonderful weekend.

Gassho
    Michael

Gassho and thank you.

kojip

Deep bows to all who sit...many thanks.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Yugen
    Thank you to all who sat and will sit. Happy New Year - really appreciated the reading from Eihei Koroku.

Have a fine weekend

Deep bows
    Yugen

Thank you everyone,
    thanks Yugen for the encouragement, I appreciate it (now I only need fellow sitters ;-))
    Gassho
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Thank you everyone,
    thanks Yugen for the encouragement, I appreciate it (now I only need fellow sitters ;-))
    Gassho
    Myoku
    I am with you Myoku, even if it is 00:30 in Mexico when you start.... I Zzzzzzazen with all of you

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Thank you all who sat/will sit.

Sorry I had to disappear in the middle of zazen. I had to fix an issue with my router.

Lovely talk, Jundo.

Happy New Year dear Treeleafers!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will sit now....
    ....and later....

That was great

A fisherman in his boat, just finding his true nature

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

I had to break just before the start of the 2nd Kinhin to tend to household matters. The house is emptying out soon and I will pick up from there. Gassho.

Thank you Jundo and all sitting. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you all for sitting together. Happy new year and blessings to all of you!

Gassho
    Bianca

This was my first zazenkai that I just had the chance to sit. I look forward to sitting live when I can. Thank you Jundo for the teaching and thank you all! Happy new year!

Gassho
    Kia

Thank you Jundo. Thank you all for this sitting.
    Happy new year-it starts allways new moment by moment.

gassho
    Gi shu - George.

Myoshin
    Well, I just missed the last zazen, feeling sick and weak, but a good beginning of the year

Gassho

Yang Hsin

Nindo
    Sat today (and sewed for a period).