Thread: Reissue - Zen Teaching of Homeless Kodo

Reissue - Zen Teaching of Homeless Kodo

Forgive me if this has already been posted. Source.

Shohaku Okumura working on reissue of “Homeless Kodo”

Sōtō Zen priest and Dōgen translator Shohaku Okumura Roshi of the Sanshin Zen Community is currently working on a reissue of The Zen Teaching of “Homeless Kodo,” penned by his teacher, Kosho Uchiyama Roshi. Okumura’s translation will include new commentary, as well as a fresh biographical sketch of Kodo Sawaki that Okumura has written. The book will be published by Wisdom Publications (with no currently projected release date).

Okumura’s work is made possible by the newly created Dōgen Institute. Founded two years ago, it acts as a fundraising arm that allows Okumura to continue his work of translating old Zen texts, much of which includes translating the works of Master Dōgen (hence the name.) The Institute raises funds for Okumura Roshi’s own writing activities and for the final editing expenses, but does not intend to publish the books themselves.

As of now, the Dōgen Institute is building its website. Until it’s done, you can find many of Okumura Roshi’s teachings online at his community’s website. You can purchase and download his digital audio materials at http://sanshin.bandcamp.com/. Proceeds will go to helping ensure that he continues his writing and translation work, including his planned translation of of Dōgen’s Sansuikyo (Mountain and Waters Sutra), which he’ll begin work on after his current project.
    Posted on: December 3, 2012 – 6:02 pm
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

That's great news. Thanks for posting this Kaishin.

Gassho.
    Chris

Fantastic!
    I have been looking for this book for some time now!

Thank you for posting this.

Gassho,
    Pontus
    In a spring outside time, flowers bloom on a withered tree;
    you ride a jade elephant backwards, chasing the winged dragon-deer;
    now as you hide far beyond innumerable peaks--
    the white moon, a cool breeze, the dawn of a fortunate day

Yugen
    This is nothing to be excited about. You can't exchange even a fart with someone else.

(There, I have paraphrased the book for you)

Honestly, Okamura's work is first-rate. I'm really looking forward to it.

Gassho
    Yugen

Dear All,

I would ask our members to hold, as much as possible, all Forum discussion and chit-chat during our Rohatsu Retreat the next two days, except as related to the Retreat.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...U-RETREAT-2012

Now is a day for sitting, not talking.

Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-09-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

For those Treeleafers who speak German and have a Kindle:
    You can borrow the German edition of this book (legally) for free if you are a Prime customer.
    I am currently reading it (parallel to a hardcopy of Kodo Sawaki's "To You") and it is really excellent.
    I wonder whether Sawaki's style was really that direct or if the translators (Abbot Muho of Antaiji being one of them and he has a direct, fresh style himself) had an influence on this...

Gassho,

Timo
    Last edited by Daitetsu; 01-18-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    no thing needs to be added

Hello everyone,

adding to Timo's very useful information here is another little link for those of us who speak a bit of German: http://angkor-verlag.blogspot.de/p/n...n-meister.html

The Angkor Verlag publishes a whole variety of different Sawaki translations, most of them translated by Muho, if I am not mistaken. Highly recommended!

All the best and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hello Hans,

Thanks a lot for the link! There are some gems I didn't know - so much to read...

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

I think it's safe to assume that the direct style is an accurate reflection of Sawaki Roshi's style. He sure reads that way in English in Shohaku Okumura's translation!

Wish I could read German...

I can't wait for this.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen