Thread: ROHATSU RETREAT - Introduction & Making an "At Home Oryoki" Set

ROHATSU RETREAT - Introduction & Making an "At Home Oryoki" Set

Some preparations for our upcoming Treeleaf Annual 'AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT ... to be LIVE NETCAST on the weekend of Saturday & Sunday, December 8 and 9, 2012 (though starting Friday night in some time zones). The retreat is designed to be sat in any time zone around the world through a combination of 'live-live' and 'live though recorded' segments, and one may still join the Retreat and sit-a-long at ANY AND ALL TIME after, by the real time recorded version at the link below (no different from the original!).

Please look at our sitting schedule HERE. The two days will include Zazen sitting, Kinhin, Chanting, Zazen sitting, Oryoki, Zazen sitting, Bowing, Talks, 'Samu' Work Practice, More Zazen Sitting, as in any Soto Zen Retreat, all in celebration of the Buddha's days of Zazen and Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree.

I would like to talk a little about the meaning of Rohatsu Retreat, and arranging a quiet space in your home for sitting. For further information on that, and other topics (such as how parents can make needed childcare a part of this Retreat), I ask all who are participating to DOWNLOAD AND REVIEW THE FOLLOWING GUIDE TO SITTING THIS ONLINE RETREAT(PDF) HERE.

The accompanying CHANT BOOK IS HERE(PDF)

As well, the following video will explain a bit about how to make and dance with a simple, home Oryoki kit. All you need is:

1 - Clean Pillow Case
    2 - Bowls and 1 Tea Cup (that fit into each other)
    1 - Cloth Napkin
    1 - Small Wiping Cloth
    1 - Table Spoon
    1 - Tea Spoon or Chop Sticks
    1 - Small Cut Piece of a New Sponge
    1 - Letter Envelope
    1 - A small dish on the side for the "Hungry Ghosts"

If you would like to see an example of the more intricate 'rules' for formal Oryoki, have a peak HERE.
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-29-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo,
    This is great. The real spirit of Treelaf. Thank you.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you Jundo, looking forward to meet there Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the link for the Chant book is the same as the guide for the retreat, is this ok?

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by lipor View Post
    Thank you Jundo, looking forward to meet there Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the link for the Chant book is the same as the guide for the retreat, is this ok?

Gassho
    Thank you, all fixed.

Mp
    Thank you for this Jundo, I am excited to participate in the whole Rohatsu Retreat.

Gassho
    Michael

Thank you. Looking forward this. I especially like keeping a dish for the hungry ghosts... been one of those from time to time, it's rough .

Gassho kojip

Thank you, Jundo!

We have some time to practice a little before Rohatsu

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks to Jundo, looking forward to my first retreat.

Gassho
    Alan

A link in the PDF guide on "Zendo Etiquitte" in a formal Japanese Zen Hall needs to be updated. Here is the correct link.

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...ers/index.html

Exactly what time on Saturday morning, and what time zone, does this start? Thanks!

Gassho,

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    Exactly what time on Saturday morning, and what time zone, does this start? Thanks!

Gassho,

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

The schedule is here, and I will let you due the math. The idea is that you can do some of the portions "live" in your time Zone, others in recorded form, and thus it fits everyone's time zone even if slightly out of order. In other words, sometimes we do some sections in Japan while you are asleep, but then you can do them later (while we are asleep), and some sections we are all awake to do "live" ... and it all gets done in the end.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...U-RETREAT-2012

Everyone has to do their own math to figure out which portions they can do live, which they will do as a recording (and in what order).

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Nindo
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post

Gassho,

Lisa
    Hi Lisa, Saturday morning 6am in Japan is Friday afternoon 2pm for us in Alberta.

Hi Jundo, the locked schedule post says Sunday/ Monday??

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post

Hi Jundo, the locked schedule post says Sunday/ Monday??
    Thank you. It is Saturday/Sunday (though starting Friday night in some time zones).

Gassho, J