Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 19

Quote Originally Posted by Omoi Otoshi View Post
    Hi Galen,
    To me, awakening is always present, always ongoing. In our hearts we want to be free. I think all people sometimes hear the call of the cuckoo calling them home, but very few people heed that call and let it guide us. Many of us try to, but in our eagerness transform this very simple thing into something else, a spiritual search for something outside ourselves, some idea called enlightenment. I can't say I'm innocent...

Gassho,
    Pontus

And none of us are, `relatively speaking.

Gassho
    Nothing Special

A problem without a problem? Well, it's only a problem if I label it a problem. The situation may be very real, but how we think (judge) the situation leads to the problem. Sort of like this guy:

A deadly storm band that is simultaneously eye? Well, sometimes the best* place to be is in the problem so deep that there is just being there, and thus there is no problem. When I'm really deathly ill, then that's all I am, that's all I can be. But all around me the storm that is people that care about me swirl and storm and cry about. From my experience, it is much easier* to be in that sick bed than to the one of the people tending to the person in that bed.

(* judgments that create problems out of situations, really slippery stuff, hair's breadth stuff)
    Last edited by AlanLa; 11-25-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

I like that Ummon simply answers Mount Sumeru. Like many of these koans the answer just cuts to the heart of things. Encouraging us to let go of our ideas.

The commentary makes reference to Hakuin taking on the care of a baby in difficult circumstances. Jundo asked what storm are we experiencing in our lives just now. For me im struggling with a difficult colleague at work and some general lack of moral at work. I wish i could always feel like Hakuin and just say is that so. But i see this koan pointing to the fact that it is our ideas of how things should be that stop us from living from mt sumeru.

Quote Originally Posted by Thane View Post
    I like that Ummon simply answers Mount Sumeru. Like many of these koans the answer just cuts to the heart of things. Encouraging us to let go of our ideas.

The commentary makes reference to Hakuin taking on the care of a baby in difficult circumstances. Jundo asked what storm are we experiencing in our lives just now. For me im struggling with a difficult colleague at work and some general lack of moral at work. I wish i could always feel like Hakuin and just say is that so. But i see this koan pointing to the fact that it is our ideas of how things should be that stop us from living from mt sumeru.

Thane... in this difficult struggle in finding morality in the work place, is that an idea about what morality should look like?

Gassho
    Nothing Special

Hi Galen. It certainly is an idea about what morality should look like. Something for me to sit with.

gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Thane View Post
    Hi Galen. It certainly is an idea about what morality should look like. Something for me to sit with.

gassho

Thank you Thane.

Gassho
    Nothing Special

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12