Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a Buddhist?

Hi,
    I believe the Dalai Lama is a Buddhist. I read that somewhere.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    We'll probably all come back as goats

I'll take it! No delusions .

BaaaaaaaaaaaBaaaa!

Gassho
    Nothing Special

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    Hi,
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Hi Myozan,

Don't believe everything you read - it might be just a rumor.

I don't believe in "coming back", but just for kicks: I think I'd like to be a cat lying in front of a warm fireplace with no other worries than purring, sleeping, stretching, eating, relaxing...
    Ah, where are my cats, I feel the sudden urge to hug them right now...

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    Hi,
    Gassho
    Myozan

Whats a Dalai Lama?

Its sounds like a fancy Spanish sports car or a high-breed lama .

Gassho
    Nothing Special

Quote Originally Posted by galen View Post
    Whats a Dalai Lama?
    Isn't that the spiritual leader of a extra terrestrial race?

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

LOL Amelia. One Halloween I requested off and a coworker who had no idea what shamanism was then asks, " Does that mean you dress like an indian for Halloween?" ...and he was dead serious with a confused look.

Dokan! hahahahahahaahhaah! NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by LimoLama View Post
    Hi Myozan,

Don't believe everything you read - it might be just a rumor.

I don't believe in "coming back", but just for kicks: I think I'd like to be a cat lying in front of a warm fireplace with no other worries than purring, sleeping, stretching, eating, relaxing...
    Ah, where are my cats, I feel the sudden urge to hug them right now...

Gassho,

Timo
    I mostly agree about coming back as a cat but dang having to hack up hairballs all the time.

Gassho
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AlanIn View Post
    I mostly agree about coming back as a cat but dang having to hack up hairballs all the time.

Gassho
    Alan
    Ouch - forgot that. And then there is that castration thing...
    On the other hand, cats have 9 lives (interestingly, in Germany we say they have 7 lives) - who can beat that?

OK, enough OT from my side...

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

disastermouse
    Can someone explain the draw of Zen to someone who found relevance in Wicca? They are so different and one usually isn't born into Wicca....so how do you bridge the gap between Wicca and Zen?

This is meant to be a respectful question, in case that isn't evident.

Gassho,

Chet

There are more similarities than you may think. Such as the concepts of interconnectedness and Oneness with all things. I recall Jundo mentioning plants and rocks as sentient beings too, so that connection is obvious. While I wasn't specifically Wiccan myself, it was actually alot of my own thoughts on various similar teachings that led me here to Treeleaf. Often someone would comment about how what i was saying sounded very buddhist. Except I had no experience with buddhism at all. Yet, I was coming into line with some more , i guess, well known teachings. The trappings are drastically different. But that same "core" of the practice is essentially the same.
    Also, keep in mind that in the "new age" movement including neo-paganism/neo-shamanism, there is alot of ecclectiness going on. Mixing of things so to speak. And the dharma is there too even if it came from the mouth of a native american medicine man or devout Wiccan high priestess.
    Be it buddhism or christianity or whatever other spirituality/religion , I have promised myself to stay open to Truth. To not cling dogmatically to anything. Always be open to the fact I can be wrong ESPECIALLY when it comes to something as grand as the nature of the universe.I almost feel like I have a built in radar. And just relax and flwo with it. Let that gut feeling/intuitiveness lead me where i need to be.But again...that's just for me and my life*shrug*.
    But that's just my personal view/experience. Can't say for anyone else.

_/\_ Dave
    P.S. Just because i can't say for anyone else doesn't mean it's time to cut cats in half. :P

There was no connection between Wicca and Buddhism that caused me to gravitate to Buddhism. I developed an interest in Buddhism and grew out of the superstition of magic as a quick fix for my problems. I don't want power.

I am learning to move, or sit, toward truth and not what I want the truth to be, even if that truth eventually leads me somewhere other than Buddhism. I don't know. I like it here for now and have no intention of jumping on any other religious bandwagons. I am a practicing Buddhist. I am content with Dharma.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

So from what you say it seems like you learned what Wicca is really about,then left because of a negative view of the "beer and *ahem* humping" Wiccans.
    Last edited by Shonin; 11-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Dave, Amelia - sounds fine to me.

Openess - no fixed destination.

Gassho

Willow

Willow,I didn't mean to imply she was sounding unfine. Just something in the post stuck out at me. But i'm not a mind reader and don't even know the young lady*shrug*
    _/\_ Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Shonin View Post
    Willow,I didn't mean to imply she was sounding unfine. Just something in the post stuck out at me. But i'm not a mind reader and don't even know the young lady*shrug*
    _/\_ Dave
    Hi Dave - bit of a miscommunication. What I was saying was that I agreed with both of you

Sorry it didn't read right.

Willow

Oh hahaha..yeah it does read different when nto at bedtime at 6am lol.

So from what you say it seems like you learned what Wicca is really about,then left because of a negative view of the "beer and *ahem* humping" Wiccans.
    But that's not what I wrote. I have nothing against beer and humping, really.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    But that's not what I wrote. I have nothing against beer and humping, really.

Good one Geika!

Gassho
    Nothing Special

Quote Originally Posted by galen View Post
    Thanks Dave... its not about how you act or what you do?
    How you act and what you do should be based on what you believe, should it not? Aren't you a hypocrite if it's not?

Gassho,

Lisa

Amelia LOL. That's all _/\_.
    Zen> Well aren't we all to some degree. I have never met anyone of any faith that has been perfect according to their chosen faith. Doubt I ever will. I'd say we're all hypocritical to some degree. But there is also something to be said of just being imperfect. For instance, I love being nice to folks..Sometimes they do things that get under my skin and irritate the absolute BLEEP out of me. Before I know it I just made some statement to that that makes it quite clear that they did something i did nottt care for. I believe the correct way to be is friendly. To take a deep breath and pause before thinking. Respond not react as some would say. I don't just lose my temper or make a rude comment then blow it off. I remind myself to try to be more mindful in an attempt to NOT do that, as well as to look deeper into myself to find why exactly it is i responded that way..what deeper issues are at play ( of which i have volumes), But well I have been referred to as cantankerous, belligerent, irritable and several other less friendly terms. Does this make me hypocritical because i'm not perfect? Probably.We all slip from time to time, some more than others.

_/\_ Dave

Mp
    But there is also something to be said of just being imperfect.
    So true ... I feel without being imperfect, I can loose the great opportunity to change, grow, or just accept being perfectly imperfect.

Gassho
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    How you act and what you do should be based on what you believe, should it not? Aren't you a hypocrite if it's not?

Gassho,

Lisa

It seems it should, Lisa. It may be because we seem to live in a world of do as I say but not what I do. Or the old, actions speak louder then words. Part of the problem seems to be when we get called on it we all of a sudden change in the course of our beliefs... denial. That may be why there is so much suffering and pain in phenomena, when most will not own their own shit. They change on a dime, or play the victim card and point outward at other>>> projecting it on someone else. The lessons of karma taught in these teachings here, should go a long way to some personal resolve and personal responsibility. I feel that Buddhism is a pretty good healer in that it seems to be a good psychological mind-trainer in teaching or opening our minds to look within at our own self created pain and suffering, and not blame it on father/mother or peoples out `there.

It seems we all have different levels of our own hypocrisies, esp when younger, sometimes just to survive to keep a boss happy or maybe in a tight situation to support a young family. We give up certain amounts of personal integrity (as you are pointing out here), but that seems to be a hard chain of direction to change and it becomes habitual through the rest of our lives.

Then there is the larger collective of groupings as religion (politics) and esp what is called organized religion, its seems very wish washy and full of hypocrisies... intolerance. I find myself outwardly exclaiming... what kind of a god is that!?

Gassho
    Nothing Special

disastermouse
    Galen,

The ultimate mistake is to judge others by our rubric or to think that because they fall down, they aren't trying hard enough.

We don't always know where they started and prematurely judging them for failing their high standards does not mean that having such high standards is a mistake.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post
    Galen,

The ultimate mistake is to judge others by our rubric or to think that because they fall down, they aren't trying hard enough.

We don't always know where they started and prematurely judging them for failing their high standards does not mean that having such high standards is a mistake.

Chet

Thank you Chet... I guess you are saying I am being judgmental and mistaken some how, and while that could be true, the same could be said of your insinuation of this on me. I did not feel it was negative in any way and will re-read it one more time from here. That is why I use the words 'seems and we' quite a lot in making my pointless points, all inclusive of myself too. I was only trying to point out normal humaness from my perspective, and ended with hypocrisy is also part of survival, shedding it in a positive light, and once again including myself. Maybe you could point directly to my failings here, and no so much general. Did you some how feel singled out here?

Gassho
    Last edited by galen; 11-26-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Nothing Special

Thanks for this topic. I still struggle with the family/culture conflict. Partly, maybe mostly, because I am reserved and not outspoken by nature, and don't care for the conflict. People definitely give you a harder time when you have kids and don't raise them according to the "majority rule."
    Gassho, Kaishin / Matt
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post
    Galen,

Chet

I probably miss read your post, as you also say our and we, not necessarily pointing at me directly, I think ?

Gassho
    Nothing Special

Personally, I think there's a huge difference between being a hypocrite and being imperfect. Nature knows, I'm nowhere near perfect, so I can hardly expect anyone else to be, either, that would be hypocritical in itself! But if you are following a practice sincerely - no matter what it is - and you slip up simply because you're human, that's not hypocritical.

Gassho,

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    Personally, I think there's a huge difference between being a hypocrite and being imperfect. Nature knows, I'm nowhere near perfect, so I can hardly expect anyone else to be, either, that would be hypocritical in itself! But if you are following a practice sincerely - no matter what it is - and you slip up simply because you're human, that's not hypocritical.

Gassho,

Lisa

What you say here seemingly is true. And with that, is not imperfection perfection, in just putting it as you say here, more our true nature. You're nowhere near perfect , damn! It seems your perspective is real true while not perfect !

Gassho
    Nothing Special

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12