Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Easy Green At Home?

Easy Green At Home?

Hi Everyone,

I searched and didn't find a "going green" thread, so if there is one I apologize in advance. I think that living green is a great dana practice- after all, it is consciously giving back and serving the earth! I've recently decided to make more of a commitment to living green/sustainably, and I wondered if anyone else had or if anyone has easy at home green projects to start out with! It's such a major lifestyle change for an American that it is overwhelming at times. My two current projects are below.

So I took it easy, and started a compost pile! http://voices.yahoo.com/how-create-d...ge-447897.html I used this as a guide. I was going to build a fancier one, but I figured I should see how it goes first. I hope to set up some small greenhouses this winter.

Also started researching going package-less- it is INSANE how much waste there is in the US due to packaging. Japan is actually pretty high on the list for least-packaging! So are some European countries. My country... is not. I decided to try to take it one item at a time. For instance, coffee beans- do I really need a new bag every time I get beans from the store? I'm going to try to sew myself a little coffee pouch out of fabric that I can fill up every time I need coffee. Weighs about the same as the paper bags so it doesn't add cost, and I can store the beans at home in an airtight container. We go through so much coffee that this probably will save a lot of trees! And the grounds can now go in my compost bin, yay. Also, note to myself, remember the canvas bags!! They don't help save bags at the grocery if I leave them at home, or in the car. Yikes.

Gassho,
    Dani

I don't really have any "projects", but I do my best to recognize when I could be doing something in a way that is more sustainable.
    迎 Geika

I am so glad you started this topic. Yes, we should keep it as an ongoing theme around here, nurture and water it.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

We at home have a lot of ongoing little projects that we have been doing over the years. Not only for being green, but for the fact that doing stuff at home or re-purposing is often cheaper and healthier.

My girlfriend and me avoid restaurants as much as we can, don't use plastic bags for groceries, we don't use sprays, I shave with plain soap and old fashion double edge razor (no need to waste cartridges), by choice we don't have a car and use our feet and public transport, we filter our own water and don't buy bottled...

Sandy (girlfriend) loves gardening and plants, she keeps a mini veggie plantation at home. She grows tomatoes, basil, oregano, two kinds of peppers, garlic and onions. Since we don't have a yard she uses old yoghurt containers and plastic milk gallons. All it takes is soil, water, sun and love for plants!

We also collect the unused water from the shower on buckets, the one that goes to the drain while we wait for the warm water to come out. We use that to water the plants and to clean the house.

Yes, we are the weird guys on the block.

Thank you for this thread

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Please remember I am only a priest in training. I could be wrong in everything I say. Slap me if needed.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Mr. Spock

recycling, composting a small garden and solar energy here. Trying to take small steps.

Daido
    Jiken Daido - Unsui at Treeleaf's Brother Sangha, the Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage.

Do not just accept what I say. Decide for yourself if it rings true for you

Blog Entries
    We have become members of a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm which sells produce, meat, and poultry to its members. By sourcing our food locally we support local farmers, the economy, and the environment by not supporting "corporate" agriculture - this means not paying for fuel, transport, and pollution costs associated with trucking food across the country, consuming food products which do not contain antibiotics or pesticides, etc. By purchasing and recycling locally we can reinvigorate local food production and reduce the amount of waste/pollution associated with current food distribution systems. We'd like to start moving in the direction of growing our own vegetables and greens.

We buy our eggs from a local farm and eat fish that is wild caught locally. We are fortunate to live in a part of the country where these resources are readily available...

Deep bows
    Yugen
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Glad this thread is catching on!

Kyonin, much props for being the weird ones on the block- I have a ways to go before I am as efficient as you and your girlfriend.

One book on my ever expnanding list is Eat Where You Live - I've leafed through it and found lots of interesting resources, it definitely deserves a purchase.

I think I'm going to start trying to use public transportation once a week too- we have it on the valley floor here in Colorado, but the problem is that so many places you need to go from the Valley floor are inaccessible (like my house and my horse haha.) When I lived on the valley floor I was so much healthier- I walked everywhere or took the bus!! I miss those days.

When I get the coffee bags designed/figured out, I'll post pictures and make them for anyone on the forum here for free. They can work for loose teas, too!

Gassho,
    Dani

Thank you Dani,
    yep, going green is a favorite of mine. Its sometimes very easy, sometimes it takes time. But over the past 6 or 7 years we managed to half our power requirements, both electricity and heating. The important point is not to just throw away everything and buy less energy consuming devices, its often more energy efficient to use e.g. a fridge until the end of its life cycle (it depends of course, but never forget what energy goes into producing and transporting).
    And yes, there are endless possibilities to do more, we're exploring and its astonishing what possibilities open,
    thank you everyone
    Gassho
    Myoku

Thanks Dani...a great topic and we should all do what we can!

I will only say that one can get attached to these projects, as I have seen significant in my own family, so much so that they can become sources of clinging and dukka. I'd guess this is not a widespread phenomenon so it may not apply in many situations, but if it does try to establish paractices that are sustainable and don't take on too many at once. Over time I think you will find that taking a slow and steady approach will produce results.

But the best thing is for us to be reminded how much of an impact our actions upon the world and this is a prime example of that...thank you Dani!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Ordained Priest -In-Training
    Please take what I say with a grain of salt,
    especially in matters of the Dharma!

Thanks for this topic Dani,

For me, I live in a small town on Vancouver Island and this allows for a lot of sustainable practices. I have a small garden out back, so grow my own food in the summer and some stuff over the winter. Compost all of what I eat, as I am vegan, so that is a nice plus.

The area I am in we have tons of local farmers, so every weekend there is an amazing farmers market ... but not just that, you can go to almost any farmer in the valley (within season) and get local organic veggies, some fruits, and for the meat eaters, we have free range Bison and Elk, and a inner harbour with fishing boats.

Public transit is not the best here, but considering it is only 14kms from my house to the main hub ... my two legs pedal me there with no problems.

Gassho
    Michael
    倫道 真現

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.