Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: life sucks and Dogen's death poem

Re: life sucks and Dogen's death poem

The Great Suck of Emptiness ... both suck and suckless.

If there is no self ... who be the sucker, and who the suckee? 8)

The Buddha taught that Dukkha sucks but Sukkha doesn't! **

LIFE SUCKS!

** More on the meaning of Dukkha/Sukkha here:
    viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2942&p=41824&hilit=sukkha#p41 824

Resistance is pain inducing. Acceptance of what is is relief and freedom. It is OK not to be OK is peace. Not OK to be not OK is knock out everytime.

gassho

Taigu

As my Grandmother lies very ill in hospital and I am unable to see her I was remended of Hongzhi's lovely death poem,

Empty flowers of an illusory dream
    sixty seven years.
    A white bird vanishes in the mist
    Autumn waters touch the sky.

A lot of things in life we attach to. A lot of these things cause suffering, such as being a miser, or ipods, or relationships that go wrong. Our practice is letting go of some of that stuff, and being interested in other stuff, like moons and sunsets, relationships that can never be wrong, or figuring out how to survive in the midst of a crisis.

One version:

Life is suffering.

The origin of suffering is attachment.

The cessation of suffering is attainable.

The path to the cessation of suffering.

Gassho (and take care)

W

Just going to edit my last post. Moons and sunsets are too big. I should have said pebbles and foot steps.

Losing stuff sucks. Some stuff more then others. ie. Losing an ipod is not such a big deal.

Take Care

W

Yes life sucks sometimes. Metta to my teachers and fellow treeleafers.

Ola

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    Sometimes life sucks. Sometimes life is a real bitch. And there is no escape. Jundo and his beloved wife are doing all they can for their sweet little girl in hospital, many treeleafers are now going tough time: unemployement,cancer, breakdown, I am struggling to carry one living in Japan as my job is seriously threatened and things don't look good at all.

In this situation, no need to dress it up and make it cheerful. No need to flee and avoid the problem. We are all invited to participate with joy to this, because it is the very nature of life, fleeting, changing, fragile, the very nature of what is given to us, sooner or later taken back. In front of this, we invite the unknown, throwing body and mind into it, trusting a process beyond thoughts, feelings and fears. As Dogen says in what he left us as a death poem:

Fifty-four years lighting up the sky.
    A quivering leap smashes a billion worlds.
    Hah!
    Entire body looks for nothing.
    Living, I plunge into Yellow Springs.

What a remarkable way to live! Leaping into the unknown, life and death merged and both totally transcended. Every single moment is an opportunity for all of us to exactly do that, that this body of thirty, fourty, fifty years and a few days and throw it into the amazing unknown reality.

entire body looks for nothing
    living, I plunge into the Yellow Springs

Nothing left, no traces, no shadow. Just the taste of what is as it is. That's our way to live, far from the hopes and consolations found in so many religions and belief systems.

Life sucks and it is OK!

gassho

Taigu
    Hello,
    If it is OK, why say it? I am confused.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CVL1269 View Post
    Hello,
    If it is OK, why say it? I am confused.

If it sucks why say it?

In terms of "saying" things, I am reminded of Shunryu Suzuki, who points to our inherent enlightenment or Buddha nature, until we open our mouths.... things that suck or are OK are two sides of the same coin! I would do well to heed his advice. My practice goal for the day - avoid picking and choosing, likes and dislikes, things that suck and things that are OK. Embrace them in their totality and completeness. The states of "being OK" and "suckiness" require one another - they are not independent entities. Recognition of the texture, grittiness, and pain in life reveals beauty and wonder as well.

And then some days are just sucky days! But making that claim requires some benchmark in our minds to compare it to - some idea of what we think is OK. They travel in company - but their separateness is a product of our mind....

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 08-24-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Hello Yugen,
    Tks for replying, but original confusion/question is "if it is 'ok' why say it" vice your if it sucks why say it.

I understand when things sucks we say it but I don't understand why say it is OK.

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I cannot speak for Taigu, but saying that things are "OK" in this case is a figure of speech - in the midst of the difficulties and pain of life "OK" represents acceptance of (and the commitment to work with) things as they are, as compared to belief or faith systems that promise reward in the afterlife or some form of paradise that allows one to endure or "avoid" the suffering of human existence. Zen Buddhism is grounded in acceptance of things as they are - the fact is that suffering exists and our efforts to deny or avoid this fact leads to unhappiness and greater suffering. Saying things are "OK" signifies acceptance of and presence in the moment. This is different from the standard "I'm OK" response people give in the checkout line at the supermarket when you ask them how they are doing. More often than not that response is automatic, a conversational space filler.

CVL, do you have a first name we can use?

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 08-24-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    Please take all my comments with a grain of salt - I am a novice priest and anything I say is to be taken with a good dose of skepticism - Shodo Yugen

Thank you Yugen, am Chris.

Say it or don't say it, no matter. Life still sometimes sucks. And that's ok.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    Practice with humility, respect all beings, avoid attachments, give rise to praja from your own awareness, put an end to delusions - Hui-neng