Treeleaf Google+ Zendo Guide
If you do not have a Google account, you'll need to create one:
1. Go to http://accounts.google.com
2. Click on the "Create an account" link next to the "Sign In" button and follow the instructions. It is easier for the administrator to add you to the Community when you choose the same username at Google as you chose for Treeleaf. If you are unsure about any of the options, just go with the default; they can be changed at a later time.
1. Log into your Google account and go to the community page at
2. Click the "Ask to join" button.
3. Use this link
to send a private message including your Google username to either "RCulver" or "Shokai".
You will be notified when you become a member of the Community.
Please don't post anything in the community as it is reserved for zazen and Community events!
When you go to your Google+ page, you will find a link to hangouts on the top right below your picture. It will either be labeled "Hangouts" or by a small green circle with white italics. Click the link to make the Hangout menu appear.
Any currently active hangout will show in your feed, which you can join by clicking on it. If you want to start a new hangout, click the "Hangout Party" or "Start a party" button at bottom.
For special events like Zazenkai, wait for the moderator to start the hangout and it will appear in your feed.
Unless you lead an event, please always mute your microphone (the button is on the top right of the hangout window).
To publish your sitting time (or to look up an existing time), please check the Treeleaf calendar:
Click "Add New Event" at the top right, choose "Ranged Event" for a single sit or "Recurring Event" for weekly sits and enter "Zazen [Your Name]" as the title and your intended time in "Start Date" and "End Date".
To control notifications for the Community, go to the settings page:
The "Receive notifications" section controls how you are notified about various events. If you do not want to receive an email (or SMS) whenever a hangout starts, uncheck "Invites me to a video call".
You may also want to switch off the options in the "Manage subscriptions" area if you want to reduce the amount of notifications you receive.
Before we can add you to G+ there are a couple things you must do on the forum first:
1. Please upload an avatar, which is a picture that shows on your posts. The process is exactly the same as uploading a profile picture, which only shows on your profile. Quite often these terms are interchangeable, but here they each serve a different purpose.
2. Introduce yourself on the welcome thread. Make sure you let folks know a little bit about yourself and how you came to Treeleaf. You will find this thread in the "Topics about All of Life" subforum with the title "Greetings by new follks...".
If there is a privacy concern with either of these steps, please view our confidentiality tips for members:
Please send a private message to "Shokai" and/or "Shugen" if you have any questions ... and we will see you in the Zendo!
SHUGEN PRIVATE MESSAGE
SHOKAI PRIVATE MESSAGE