Just as you thought you understood...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kosen
    • May 2011

Merci. Le Dharma du Bouddha est toujours frais, pur, infini et parcellaire, changeant et permanent. L'image du printemps est belle ; quel bonheur, la fraîcheur du Dharma, vrai printemps des êtres.
    Thank you. Dharma du Bouddha is always fresh, pure, infinite and fragmented, changeable and permanent. The image of the spring is beautiful ; what a great happiness, the freshness of Dharma, true spring of beings.
    Kosen.

Comment

• Seiryu
      • Sep 2010

All conditioned phenomena
      Are like dreams, illusions, bubbles, or shadows;
      Like drops of dew, or flashes of lightning;
      Thusly should they be contemplated.
      in a blink of an eye its all gone.

as frightening as sometimes that may be,
      such a beautiful reminder of just how precious what we have, right now in this moment really is
      Humbly,
      清竜 Seiryu

Comment

• galen
        • Feb 2012

Thank you, Taigu.

So are we springing into a fall? Are we falling into a spring that never ends and never starts? And does it matter? Is there really a difference, ultimately?

Springing from a fall in phenomena, dualistically is one, ultimately.
        Nothing Special

Comment

• Taigu
          Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
          • Aug 2008

You are rising an excellent point galen... And I will be another disappointment to your metaphysical take: yes it matters for there is obviously a diiference between dying from terminal cancer and celebrating one s birthday. At the same time spring and falling are one. In our tradition pair of opposites, time and timeless can meet. The point is not to have eyes to see it, ability to read or write it, wisdom to understand it but what it takes to live it. I remember that old woman asking the brilliant Buddhist scholar very skilled at describing the three minds : with what mind fo you eat my cakes?

Anyway thank you for your post and patience.

Enjoy your cakes

Gassho

Taigu

Comment

• galen
            • Feb 2012

Bro, Taigu,

Thank you for your perception my seeming metaphysical `take on my giving back.... there is a chance this will not fit your Dongen dogged mind, but what the hell .... http://www.thezensite.com/ZenEssays/..._in_Dogen.html
            Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
              • Feb 2012

Bro, Taigu,

Thank you for your perception my seeming metaphysical `take on my giving back.... there is a chance this will not fit your Dongen dogged mind, but what the hell .... http://www.thezensite.com/ZenEssays/..._in_Dogen.html
              Nothing Special

Comment

• Taigu
                • Aug 2008

galen,

Anything else to say?

Why don t you show respect and be articulate?
                Why this need to show your teeth when you are asked to look a bit deeper?

Is Dharma a matter of testosterone and a macho act?

Cool down, we are not trying to pick up a fight but see and live clearly here.

Your words are missing the mark.

Gassho

Taigu

Comment

• galen
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Taigu
                  galen,

Anything else to say?

Gassho

Taigu

I will have more to say in time, Taigu..... who lost their bla bla bla cool? I'm cool as hell, have you not noticed . I will do my best in the future to be as eloquent, respectful and articulate as YOU, but that is a high bar, obviously. Take care, and don't take yourself and things so serious, we ALL are in this together, not two, even though sometimes you look at others that way, as below you. Whos mark am i suppose to hit?? Me and the other bla bla blas you are having a problem with, are doing the best we can on this path to nowhere, and can only hope to attain your lofty standards position. Lets drop it, take a breath and move on, Brother.
                  Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Taigu
                    galen,

Anything else to say?

Gassho

Taigu

I will have more to say in time, Taigu..... who lost their bla bla bla cool? I'm cool as hell, have you not noticed . I will do my best in the future to be as eloquent, respectful and articulate as YOU, but that is a high bar, obviously. Take care, and don't take yourself and things so serious, we ALL are in this together, not two, even though sometimes you look at others that way, as below you. Whos mark am i suppose to hit?? Me and the other bla bla blas you are having a problem with, are doing the best we can on this path to nowhere, and can only hope to attain your lofty standards and position. Lets drop it, take a breath and move on, Brother.
                    Nothing Special

Comment

• galen
                      • Feb 2012

It would not let me post, then it put up two.
                      Nothing Special

Comment

• Taigu
                        • Aug 2008

Thank you for making this effort galen. Much appreciated. It would be wonderful for you to drop that "Bro", manners matter as you know. It is not because I am superior to anybody, or feel so, I do have a responsability, that's all.
                        If you are interested in really studying and practising, then please, try to change and see clearly what kind of pattern you display sometimes. If not, maybe Treeleaf is not for you. This path is not a path to nowhere as you write, that's another one of your beliefs.

gassho

Taigu
                        Last edited by Taigu; 09-28-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• YuimaSLC
                          • Aug 2012

Take the word "beauty" for example. First, it's a word used to convey a concept. And both word and concept adjust from culture to culture, and within culture itself; meaning, there really isn't a place to
                          hang the label of "beauty" with any certainty. Thus, empty and impermanent in terms of conditions arising/absent, ....simultaneously.
                          Phenomenon with no self, and yet there is belief in a pattern (karma) which leads up to presume the permanence of "things" that appear. Memory helps to re-enact an interpretation of phenomenon. Yet, we collectively can't even agree as to the true substance of a memory-story, of the experience we supposedly encountered and shared for a moment.

And this refreshing/revitalizing of data (which itself is in the present moment arising/absent as brain cells and energy) let's us function as human-beings, for certain benefits, and at the same time gives us illusion as to who we are, what is going on.

One question is, how much can we get away with using the metaphor of a movie-film strip with it's millions of individual moments of celluloid image (perception) which, when run one after another (arising) gives us pattern....of movement, of things ? But I get troubled with that because it presumes the permanence of the individual slides. That's linear.

Sorry, again, for the conceptual wordiness of this post. Best to just drop the words and live it.

Comment

• YuimaSLC
                            • Aug 2012

and a couple comments related to a few prior exchanges in this thread.

I remember Alan Watts saying something 40 years about the difference between "seriousness" and "sincerity". He discounted the former and embraced the latter.

To me sincerity = wholeheartedness.

It is my wish that Taigu will continue, and increase, the number of presentations given on the video. I thoroughly benefit from them. And to me, it really
                            expresses a sense of his wholeheartedness, and humor. You know, it's hard to giggle at yourself in text.

And, thank you Taigu for this most recent post. I've re-read it twice already.

Comment

• Rich
                              • Apr 2009

Not sure about addressing people with brother or bro. Have noticed that here occasionally. Seems to becoming popular in everyday life.
                              _/_
                              Rich
                              MUHYO
                              無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• galen
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Rich
                                Not sure about addressing people with brother or bro. Have noticed that here occasionally. Seems to becoming popular in everyday life.

I use it often in my life, as whats up brother or bro, its old hippie slang; as is hey man, whats up, which i also have use here on these forums and in my daily life. Like hey man, or thanks, man. In this particular case here, I was actually reaching a hand out to Taigu, and felt comfortable using it, because he had earlier in the forum. Thank you, Rich.
                                Last edited by galen; 09-29-2012, 01:24 PM.
                                Nothing Special

Comment

Working...