Thread: "Six Words of Advice"

"Six Words of Advice"

(Well, actually more than six.)

Hello,

I was clicking and reading through the Buddhist section of Wikipedia, and somehow wound up on the Mahamudra page. While skimming through it, I found this little bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Some Wikipedia person
    Tilopa was a Bengali mahasiddha who developed the mahāmudrā method around 1,000 C.E. Tilopa gave Naropa, his successor, a teaching on mahāmudrā meditation called the Six Words of Advice.

In the following chart a translation is given of the Tilopa's Six Words of Advice.[20]

First short, literal translation Later long, explanatory translation Tibetan (Wylie transliteration)
    1 Don’t recall Let go of what has passed mi mno
    2 Don’t imagine Let go of what may come mi bsam
    3 Don’t think Let go of what is happening now mi shes
    4 Don’t examine Don’t try to figure anything out mi dpyod
    5 Don’t control Don’t try to make anything happen mi sgom
    6 Rest Relax, right now, and rest rang sar bzhag
    Source.
    I just thought I'd share. Seems like a good set of things to remind oneself of frequently. I know that I'm going to be taping them to the inside of my apartment door in the near future.

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun
    To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Nindo
    In other words ... be right here now and "do what you are doing while you are doing it" (Daido Loori) - nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    In other words ... be right here now and "do what you are doing while you are doing it" (Daido Loori) - nice!
    Hello Nindo,

'swat I got out of it anyway

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun

Yes, Shikantaza!

Let go of what has passed ... Let go of what may come ... Let go of what is happening now ... Don’t try to figure anything out ... Don’t control ... Don’t try to make anything happen (drop all goals) ... just relax, right now, and rest [alternate translation: Let the mind rest into one's natural state]

The paths are all just the same, though sometimes very different. Quite different, yet precisely the same.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-21-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, Shikantaza!
    Hello Jundo,

When I first found that page, I thought "hm...this sounds familiar." Then, laughter. It all really does come back, no?

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, Shikantaza!

Let go of what has passed ... Let go of what may come ... Let go of what is happening now ... Don’t try to figure anything out ... Don’t control ... Don’t try to make anything happen (drop all goals) ... just relax, right now, and rest [alternate translation: Let the mind rest into one's natural state]

The paths are all just the same, though sometimes very different. Quite different, yet precisely the same.

Gassho, J
    Beautiful Jundo, thank you!

Gassho
    Michael