Thread: September 1st, 2012- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

September 1st, 2012- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

OUR ZAZENKAI marks the COMMENCEMENT OF ANGO and our upcoming GLOBAL DAY OF SERVICE

ALSO, AN (unintentionally very quiet) CHANTING OF "WE SHALL OVERCOME" SHALL BE IN PLACE OF THE 'IDENTITY OF RELATIVE AND ABSOLUTE (Sandokai)' THIS TIME ..

... and note other sound issues, and that we have no netcast the last 15 minutes ...

Dear All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning))

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-01-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Will be there Sunday morning. Looking forward to it!

_/\_

Ade

Will be with all of you every morning next week (I have to break the zazenkai up into several bite-sized pieces of zazen+kinhin).

Will be there/here live.

Gassho. kojip

I'll be there.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Shujin and I shall attempt to sit Sunday night (Families willing).
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

I cant attend live due attending my aunt's Blanca wake, she passed away this friday morning here in Mexico city... may she rest in peace

Gassho

Enviado desde mi ALCATEL_one_touch_990A
    Thank you for your practice

Quote Originally Posted by lipor View Post
    I cant attend live due attending my aunt's Blanca wake, she passed away this friday morning here in Mexico city... may she rest in peace

Gassho

So sorry Leo. Metta for you and your family.

Deep-gassho.
    Chris

Sorry to hear that, Leo.

Much metta for you and your family.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Yugen
    I will be at the Zazenkai tonight.....

My condolences on your aunt's passing, Leo. We will be sitting together with you.... we are all one in this practice.

Gassho
    Yugen

Much metta to you and your family Leo...you will be in our thoughts!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Metta to you and your family Leo

Daido

Thinking of you and your family Leo

Gassho

Willow

Mp

Gassho

Much metta to you and your family Leo. I know where are at as I am in Vancouver seeing granny as she is not doing well and the days growing closer.

Gassho
    Michael

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

I will be joining you tomorrow with the recorded Live.

Gassho
    Shohei

I will have to split it up over the week. I'm on baby duty.

My thanks to Jundo and all who sat, are sitting, or will sit...deep bows.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Yugen
    Thank you all for sitting tonight, and to all who will sit. Deep bows

Gassho
    Yugen

Thank you for your patience with some of the sound issues (our silent "We Shall Overcome") and no signal for the last 15 minutes. If you did not hear the last bell because of that, you can stop sitting now!

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Thank you for your patience with some of the sound issues (our silent "We Shall Overcome") and no signal for the last 15 minutes. If you did not hear the last bell because of that, you can stop sitting now!

Gassho, Jundo
    Thank you Jundo! We kept sitting and Dosho was kind enough to keep on with the Verse of Atonement and the Four Vows.

Thank you all who sat / will sit.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you.

Gassho, kojip.

Hi all,
    So, Ango is here. Great.

Will sit Zazenkai over the weekend.

Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you Jundo and all who have sat/will be sitting.

Will be sitting in segments - peaceful Zazen for 30 mins - time for grandparent duty now

Gassho

Willow

Thank you all for Metta sent about my aunt's passing away, I am so proud of my Sangha, truly truly thank you all.... Will sit recorded hangout tonight or tomorrow morning, as today is the funeral... will keep you all and her in my heart and mind during the sit.

I hope your Granny feels better, Michael..... life, with all it's conditions, is perfect as it is...much Metta for her, and your family

Gassho

Thank you all for this sitting.Thank you Jundo.
    Gassho George-Qi shu

I am sorry for the sound quality today, as I had the microphone set incorrectly.

We will dedicate this Zazenkai to all our sick and passing family members. Gassho, J

Hello,

I will be sitting this evening with all of you.

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun

Thank you for the sit! Happy Ango

Gassho,

Risho

Edit: I had to get my workout in earlier or I would have made an excuse to miss it, but I wanted to follow up that I think that was one of my favorite Dharma talks. Desire is so pervasive in my life, and Ango is a tool.. it's a respite from that desire. Sometimes, I get pissed off... I get pissed off a lot when I don't get what I want, frankly, but the more I practice the more that anger subsides. I use Ango to tame certain desires that get out of hand, e.g. not committing to sitting, or drinking too much, drinking too much coffee, etc. not to mention the reaffirmation of my dedication to the sangha and re-examination of the precepts. I really love Ango.

Today, for instance, I had a lot of resistance. I did not want to sit through a 4 hour zazenkai, so when you started talking about how we sit when we don't want to, I felt so much better. Not only do I feel resistance to practice, but I feel guilty for feeling resistance. hahah So when I hear it from you that it just happens, it's very encouraging.

Gassho again

Risho
    Last edited by Risho; 09-01-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Thank you everyone for your practice. I will sit Zazenkai tonight. My tiny apartment is too small for kinhin with the kids sleeping and the wife watching TV so I will alternate standing meditation and prostration for kinhin (hope that's okay). Metta!

Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Thanks for the sit, everybody!

Gassho

Jen

Thanks everyone!

_/\_

Ade

Thank you everyone,
    Gassho
    Myoku

Mp
    Thank you everyone, this was wonderful.

Gassho
    Michael

Thank you Jundo and everyone sitting.
    Gassho and much metta to you Leo and your family.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thanks to everyone for the sit.

Gassho

Mark

Just finished, thank you for your practice, metta and kind words. Whit this I start Ango, hoping we all get to develop a stronger practice.

Much Metta

Gassho

Thank you for the sit.

Gassho
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello,

thank you all for your practise. After having sat for an hour I received a phone call asking me to visit my hospice "patient"...who was close to dying yesterday and is probably dead now. I will have to sit this one in one-to-two hour installments.

All the best and gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

I've finished the zazenkai. Thank you for the talk, Jundo--a great way to start Ango. As always very practical and down to earth in your explanations of the "why's" of practice. Thank you especially for your discussion of people asking for metta. People sending "air prayers" always seemed like hocus pocus, but the idea of developing compassion in oneself as a means for it to spread, well that makes more sense to me.

Gassho,
    Kaishin / Matt
    Last edited by Kaishin; 09-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Almost done. I also had to sit in installments due to family labor day fun activities. I even tried to wake up extra early on Saturday to get it in before everyone woke up, but the toddler would have none of that once he heard dad walking around. Anyway, I am very excited to have started Ango. It should be an interesting 90 days!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Gassho. Even through a recorded session, I am thankful for the treeleaf community to sit with.
    Lindsay

Had to break up the session this weekend but thanks for the sit everyone.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Dharma talk is now up on Podcast!
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Thanks Jundo and to all who have sat and will sit.

Gassho,

Daido

Thank you for the opportunity to practise together. _/|\_

Your are so right Jundo. we are not alone ever... and never really distant from one another by space or time. Sitting this Zazenkai even several days later, I did not feel as though it wasn't happening "right now"!!!
    I am so happy to once again be in Ango doing "a little bit more"; and even more so learning that there is Ango of the heart and Ango in the heart that can be carried everywhere andat all times.

Gassho,

Seishn Kyrill