Thread: Zen dreams and parachute jumping

Zen dreams and parachute jumping

So, I think I had my first "zen" dream. In the middle of a normal dream where several people were sitting around a table with drums, one person stands up and says he has a koan. I can't remember it exactly, but it was to the effect of why are sitting around drumming and not doing something with our life. The people answered in order around the table. One guy just drummed harder, the next didn't answer but smiled really big then started laughing, the next said guy stood up and said " I shit every morning and shower every night," then I answered, "everything you do is doing something with your life." The guy who asked the koan sat down and started drumming again. I know, I know, there is nothing more boring than hearing about someone else's dream and it isn't particularly profound or anything, but the fact that I dreamed about zen made me smile when I woke up.

Also, this weekend I had a military parachute jump. I hadn't jumped in a long time, so while getting ready I was a little nervous. I kept running through all my procedures thinking to myself "don't mess up, don't mess up." When I got on the bird though, all my nervousness went away. It was like being at home. The plane took off and rapidly reached jump altitude. The ramp opened and I couldn't help but smile. The green light came on and me and my buddy went out. It was honestly one of the best jumps I've had in years. After I landing I think I realized why I've always loved jumping so much. The engines are loud, so you can't really hear anything or make small talk. The upcoming jump keeps you in the present, so once the bird takes off, you can truly live in the moment. No future, no past, just right now folding out wonderfully in front of your eyes.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Oddly enough, I had a 'zen' dream a few days ago.

I was stood in a zendo with Tiagu and Jundo (both dressed in robes) and I was telling them that the time had come for me to leave; that although I great respect for both them and their teachings it was now time for me to follow a different path.

I guess it occurred because I've mulling over Ango. I know I'll struggle over some of the commitments, as life is about to become very hectic indeed, hence the hesitancy to sign my name on the list. On the other hand, sometimes it's only the promises made that enable day to day sitting to continue through tumultuous times.

I tend to the opinion that dreams go by opposites, so this one means that I should join in with everything - the whole 'kit-n-kaboodle' - and, still, I'm holding back...

As I said, odd, especially as I'm more committed to Zen than I ever was ...

Kathryn

Hi Charles,
    thanks for sharing. Can't say I've had anything resembling a zen dream, but one never knows what'll happen down the line. Your jumping story reminds me of an experience I had a couple of months ago during honor guard training. We were at the firing range, in the middle of a pine forest, drilling with rifles. There was the was the drillmaster's commands, pine trunks creaking in the wind, the soft sound of gloves on wood, and silence. For me, this was stillness and motion at once; the closest expression I've had of sitting off the cushion.

Kathryn - your chute is packed, please jump with us.

Gassho,
    Shujin
    Last edited by Shujin; 08-22-2012 at 01:30 AM.

I don't think hearing other people's dreams are boring.

Kathryn, don't worry about participating in Ango perfectly.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Yugen
    Reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker - minds are like parachutes - they function best when open!

I find this to be invariably true - for both minds and parachutes!

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I don't think hearing other people's dreams are boring.

Kathryn, don't worry about participating in Ango perfectly.
    Right on Geika. On ango, its not about being perfect. Its about doing, about a more dedicated practice time... though this does not mean overloading yourself, its also about opening up and letting this small self, ego take a back seat, dropping and picking up. I would also carefully say its about f...n up and learning that doing so is not a failure so long as you dust off and get up. Up and downs will come with out fail, how you handle them is what counts! (from a guy with lots of nicks and scrapes ) and of course this is in my humble opinion.

On the dreams part I have had a couple that were very clearly related to practice though I hesitate to say that, life-practice, practice-life you get the idea... in the end I do not hang on to them any more than yesterdays conversation at the coffee pot or tomorrows discussion at work about the upcoming avalanche of work...all just minds theatre...so I enjoy the show and move on. THAT Said the dream I had that comes to mind set me at ease and in the end allowed me to let go of some negative thoughts and feeling I was holding against my self and allowed me to get back practice with out some baggage. So yes lights, screen, and a show - empty but not Nothing

Thank you for sharing yours, (and all that have thus far)

Deep bows
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn Clare View Post

I guess it occurred because I've mulling over Ango. I know I'll struggle over some of the commitments, as life is about to become very hectic indeed, hence the hesitancy to sign my name on the list. On the other hand, sometimes it's only the promises made that enable day to day sitting to continue through tumultuous times.

As I said, odd, especially as I'm more committed to Zen than I ever was ...

Kathryn
    I'm excited precisely because I know that some of the stuff will be hard. If I could already do ango easily what would be the point? I look forward to every struggle.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker - minds are like parachutes - they function best when open!

I find this to be invariably true - for both minds and parachutes!

Gassho
    Thanks Yugen ... love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei View Post
    ... On ango, its not about being perfect. Its about doing, about a more dedicated practice time... though this does not mean overloading yourself, its also about opening up and letting this small self, ego take a back seat, dropping and picking up. I would also carefully say its about f...n up and learning that doing so is not a failure so long as you dust off and get up. Up and downs will come with out fail, how you handle them is what counts ...
    Wonderful words ... I was just smiling and nodding when I read them, thank you Shohei.

Gassho
    Michael