Thread: clouds in the sky, water in the bottle

clouds in the sky, water in the bottle

Taigu, teacher at Treeleaf Sangha, was born in 1964, started Zazen early and received Shukke Tokudo in 1983 at age 18 from Rev. Mokusho Zeisler of the Deshimaru Lineage. Received Dharma Transmission from Chodo Cross in 2002. Now resides in Osaka, Japan.

Taigu. Thank you for this.

Gassho,

Richard

Thank you Taigu.

Gassho,
    Bianca
    Gassho,
    Bianca

Taigu,
    Thank you very much.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Myozan Kodo
    Ordained Soto Zen Priest in Training
    Dublin, Ireland

As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.
    "Here the way unfolds."

Thank you Taigu ... beautiful.

Gassho
    Michael

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?
    ~ Dogen Zenji

Thank you so much, for this teaching, for the reminder to play.

Gassho,
    alan

Another great teaching. Thank you Taigu.

Gassho,
    Chris

Grateful for this day's talk.

Gassho,

Richard

Thank you, Taigu
    Gassho,
    Marek

Thank you!
    Last edited by Nengyo; 08-14-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    "You yourself must strive. The Buddhas only point the way." - Shakyamuni Buddha

Thank you master Taigu, as always, so much to think and not think because of your teachings

Gassho

P.S. Yup, I know, my English sucks

Thank you for sharing this. Gassho.
    Heisoku
    平 息

Thank you for your efforts,
    Gassho
    Myoku

I need to ask, Taigu, why do you think children are no teacher ?

From my point of view they are excellent teachers. Not on theory, computer science, how to cook a complicate meal, but on the truth,
    on oneself. Everything we experience is the truth, so if we can look and listen we can learn from everything, no ? And children are humans,
    how much more can we learn from them then from a stone (though we can learn from it too). They usually truly live being human. Being
    attached, being happy and being sad. I hardly can think of a better mirror than my childs, they much clearer show me _my_ faults, they
    copy my habits. Also other parents children are teachers, they are much clearer than they parents but surely children of them.
    Childs do much more spontaneous and naturally respond to being kind to them or harsh. Ok ... I stop now :-D Forgive me my flood
    of praise.
    _()_
    Myoku

Hi Myoku,

I am very glad you speak your mind. In many ways everything and anything you meet is your teacher, good or bad experience, button pusher or a.... licker, everything and everybody. And yes kids will show you your shadow, reveal your anger, frustration and also the ability you have to give up snd surrender. And yes they have also a sparkling quality, something natural about them. They are great exampke of a very good physical use too.
    And at the same time, I have been working with kids all my life, and it was a real eye opener, many myths fell down when I could see the degree of violence and ignorance displayed by them as well as their skills at manipulating other kids and adults. There is a sweet and romantic picture of kids that does not meet my experience. In the past they was a very funny way of looking at them as half human, nowadays it is quite the opposite, they lead and seem to be looked at living presence of wisdom. Both ways are wrong. Kids are kids and adults are adults, kids don t become adults, Spring doesn t turn into summer. Are they really closer to reality? In certain ways they are but in many ways they are not. Small, cute, adorable ...to really be a teacher one has to have lost paradises and crossed deserts.

Thank you for your patience

Gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 08-17-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    Taigu, teacher at Treeleaf Sangha, was born in 1964, started Zazen early and received Shukke Tokudo in 1983 at age 18 from Rev. Mokusho Zeisler of the Deshimaru Lineage. Received Dharma Transmission from Chodo Cross in 2002. Now resides in Osaka, Japan.

Thank you for explaining Taigu,
    all you say make much sense to me. And yes, from my point of view too they are neither particual wise nor compassionate, Thank you again!
    _()_
    Myoku

Thank you Taigu.

I will sit with this teaching.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Please remember I am only a priest in training. I could be wrong in everything I say. Slap me if needed.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Mr. Spock

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    ...to really be a teacher one has to have lost paradises and crossed deserts.
    Thank you for this teaching, Taigu.

Gassho, kojip
    大山

Hi Myoku,

I am very glad you speak your mind. In many ways everything and anything you meet is your teacher, good or bad experience, button pusher or a.... licker, everything and everybody. And yes kids will show you your shadow, reveal your anger, frustration and also the ability you have to give up snd surrender. And yes they have also a sparkling quality, something natural about them. They are great exampke of a very good physical use too.
    And at the same time, I have been working with kids all my life, and it was a real eye opener, many myths fell down when I could see the degree of violence and ignorance displayed by them as well as their skills at manipulating other kids and adults. There is a sweet and romantic picture of kids that does not meet my experience. In the past they was a very funny way of looking at them as half human, nowadays it is quite the opposite, they lead and seem to be looked at living presence of wisdom. Both ways are wrong. Kids are kids and adults are adults, kids don t become adults, Spring doesn t turn into summer. Are they really closer to reality? In certain ways they are but in many ways they are not. Small, cute, adorable ...to really be a teacher one has to have lost paradises and crossed deserts.
    Totally agree with you Taigu. Kids are kids and some kids due to unfortunate circumstances become something other, where their nature has been distorted. Lots of evidence to show how the normal becomes the abnormal, e.g. Loving attention is a threat!
    But as a teacher once said,"We don't have to like them, but we do have to keep loving them, gently, quietly and kindly."
    Water in the bottle, clouds in the sky.
    Thanks Myoku for questioning that, I didn't because it is something I understand, but perhaps I should question more closely, like many other things.
    Heisoku
    平 息

Thank you so much for this teaching, Taigu.
    Gassho
    Jeff

That was interesting. time to play. Thanks.
    _/_
    Rich

Gassho, Taigu.

Thank you for this teaching.

Charlie

You have explained : "There is a sweet and romantic picture of kids that does not meet my experience. In the past they was a very funny way of looking at them as half human, nowadays it is quite the opposite, they lead and seem to be looked at living presence of wisdom. Both ways are wrong. Kids are kids and adults are adults, kids don t become adults, Spring doesn t turn into summer. Are they really closer to reality? In certain ways they are but in many ways they are not. Small, cute, adorable ...to really be a teacher one has to have lost paradises and crossed deserts." Y am very touched by these sentences, because it is what I often felt, and I am happy to read the same thing with this simplicity.
    Kosen

Are they really closer to reality? In certain ways they are but in many ways they are not. Small, cute, adorable ...to really be a teacher one has to have lost paradises and crossed deserts.

Thank you for your patience
    Very well said. Gassho!

Thank you!
    Gassho,
    Onken