• February 15th, 2014 - SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (w/ SPECIAL START TIMES!)

NOTE THE SPECIAL START TIMES!

WELCOME to our Memorial & Celebration of NEHAN-E, (Pari-Nirvana) the traditional day to mark the historical Buddha's death and passing from this visible world. This is also a day for each of us to remember in our homes those family and friends who have gone before. As well, we mark the passing of Nishijima Gudo Wafu, my Teacher (and Taigu's Grand-Teacher).

There is a portion of our Memorial & Celebration for you AT HOME (see description below in this thread), and also a commemoration during this 4-Hour Treeleaf Monthly Zazenkai (SEE SPECIAL CHANTS ANC CEREMONY CONTENT BELOW IN THIS THREAD). We recall (as appropriate to each family) our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed. As mentioned, our Memorial is also in honor of Master Nishijima, who passed from the world this month.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...shi-has-Passed

So, do 'sit-a-long' with our 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 9pm Saturday night to 1am Sunday morning Japan time (that is New York 7am to 11am, Los Angeles 4am to 8am (Saturday morning), London noon to 4pm and Paris 1pm to 5pm (Saturday afternoon)) ... and visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

http://youtu.be/i8W-z2cL0Ck

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

To mark this time, our Ceremony at the start of the Zazenkai will include a chanting of “The Verse of Homage to Buddha's Relics, Shariraimon” and Heart Sutra in Chinese-Japanese (to mark our "roots"). Words and details are provided below in this thread. After that, we will celebrate the Buddha (and Master Nishijima) in the way most vital to each ... with Zazen. Our sitting schedule for the 4-hour gathering will be as follows ...

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (SHARIRAIMON in ENGLISH / HEART SUTRA in JAPANESE) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK on "Parinirvana, Remembrance & Celebration" & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

For this special Zazenkai, a statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’ will be given special prominence on the Altar, as will a portrait of our late Teacher, Master Nishijima.

As always, we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: February 15th, 2014 - SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" 4-hour ZAZENKAI! (w/ SPECIAL START TIMES!) started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 41 Comments
      Kyonin -
      I can't get in to the Hangout!!

I'll just sit along with you guys.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Shokai -
      Also unable to enter but will sit for 30 minutes then off to the hospital. The opening was impressive; congratulations to Dosho on a job well done.
      Gassho, Shokai
      Myozan Kodo -
      Kyonin,
      Can't get in either. But I'm here, but just not in the "visible world"
      Gassho
      Myozan
      Shinzan -
      I was finally able to get in via Firefox. But my apologies for vanishing in the middle of lecture. Connectivity at this location was bad and kicked me out of the hangout. Thanks to all. Shinzan
      Myozan Kodo -
      All in all a wonderful Zazenkai. Thank you Jundo. Thank you all.
      Gassho
      Myozan
      Juki -
      Excellent Zazenkai. Thanks to Jundo for the talk. Thanks to everyone for your practice.

Gassho,
      Juki
      Mp -
      Thank you Jundo and everyone who sat ... was a wonderful Zazenkai ... All Buddhas throughout space and time. =)

Gassho
      Shingen
      Daitetsu -
      That was nice!
      Back pain forced me to do quite some "couch zazen" in between...
      Dosho, thanks for posting that link via G+! Without it I could not have logged in.

Thank you everyone and have a great weekend!

Gassho,

Daitetsu
      Myosha -
      Hello,

The demons are laughing, the buddhas are laughing, the ineffable is laughing!

The tree never says, "'leaf' me alone".

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
      Myosha
      Kyonin -
      Thank you all who sat / will sit.

Sorry for not being able to join. I sat lurking in the background

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Dosho -
      Thanks all...wonderful to be with you (and be you) as always.

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Dosho -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
      Thank you all who sat / will sit.

Sorry for not being able to join. I sat lurking in the background
      You were most certainly there with me, in every word I chanted. Thank you for that my friend; I needed it!

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Taikyo -
      Thanks to all. It made for a wonderful afternoon here in the UK.I am so grateful for the opportunity of sitting live with everyone (evn tho' not able to access the hangout!). Thank you again Jundo and Dosho
      Gassho

Taikyo
      Kokuu -
      Lovely Zazenkai! Thank you to all who sat, especially all the north Americans who got up extra early. Was great to be able to sit live (even if just watching).

Parinirvana --
      clouds drift over empty fields
      weeping as they go.

Gassho
      Kokuu
      Koshin -
      That was an awesome zazenkai, thank you all for your practice, have a great Paranirvana Weekend

Gassho
      Joyo -
      Thank you everyone, Dosho you did a lovely job. My back was aching, but it was wonderful to partake with you all

Gassho,
      Joyo
      Sekishi -
      A beautiful Zazenkai, and a beautiful day. Zazen with you all via the recording, Oryoki with Myozan, tea party in the afternoon. This evening my family and I observed the Parinirvana ceremony. There were tears and laughter all around. LED candles will stay (safely) lit through the night on the alter.

Thank you all for your practice. Thank you to our teachers and the many ancestors for helping us along this path.

Deep bows,
      Sekishi / Eric
      Myoku -
      Thank you everyone,
      wonderful dharma talk!
      _()_
      Myoku
      Daitetsu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
      wonderful dharma talk!
      Absolutely! Worth listening to again and again - am going to bookmark it.

Gassho,

Daitetsu
      Kantai -
      Thank you everyone! An eye opening Dharma talk, thank you Jundo.

Gassho
      Kantai