• TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2013 --

WELCOME ...

... to our TREELEAF 'AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT, being held by LIVE NETCAST on Saturday/Sunday December 7th and 8th, 2013 (though starting Friday night in some time zones).

Please 'sit-a-long' with the LIVE NETCAST at the times below ... to be visible "live" on our Treeleaf Google+ Page during those hours:

LINK TO TREELEAF GOOGLE+ PAGE to SIT LIVE IS HERE!

HOWEVER, you may still join the Retreat and sit-a-long at ANY AND ALL TIME after, by the real time recorded version at the links below (no different from the original!).

The full sitting schedule is below, and you may download our CHANT BOOK HERE(LINK to PDF).

and please review the various RETREAT POINTERS HERE(LINK to PDF).

Recordings of each segment are posted below in time order ... and if we drop from mind all thought of 'now' 'then' 'here' and 'there' ... we will all be sitting together right when and where you are!

This Retreat celebrates the 'official' closure of our ANGO (90 day Special Practice Season) at Treeleaf, is a part of current preparations for our JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) Ceremony in January, and marks ROHATSU ... the traditional holiday in Japan celebrating the time of the Buddha's Enlightenment.

Jundo will be guiding the first day of sitting on Saturday, and Taigu on Sunday.

In case of technical problems, please just go along as best you can with the schedule ... we sit with "what is".. .

OF COURSE, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION ... if the sitting ever feels too much, be sure to walk lots and lots of Kinhin (even if during a sitting period). And if the whole retreat becomes too much, or you feel ill, you may slow down ... , spread things out, shorten the sittings ... or STOP! Be sure that you have someone close by whom you can call, or who can check on you from time to time. If there is any question about health, do not take any chances!

Our thanks to Sangha Member William Anderson for presenting a 15-Minute YOGA LESSON TO HELP US STRETCH DURING ANY BREAK TIME (LINK HERE)

Please write and let us know how it goes. Gassho, Jundo & Taigu

DAY 1 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = FRIDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = FRIDAY NY 7:05pm, London 12:05am)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

DAY 1
    06:00-06:50 AM Entrance by Officiant (Jundo) & Zazen. If you usually wear a Rakusu, DO NOT wear it yet (keep it in its bag) until Takkesage (Kesa Verse) later in morning.
    06:50-07:00 Kinhin* (All Kinhin times can be bathroom break)
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin

07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse
    08:25-09:05 "Long" Service.Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when hear ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    09:05-09:20 REST PERIOD

RECORDING OF ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKXU4H3giI

DAY 1 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 7:20pm London SATURDAY 12:20am /End=FRIDAY NY 7:50pm, SATURDAY London 12:50am)

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

RECORDING OF ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-2 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gojXrRqL0jY#t=59

DAY 1 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 8:30pm London SATURDAY 1:30am /End=FRIDAY NY 10:45pm, SATURDAY London 3:45am)

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

RECORDING OF THE ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCK3aL5xyko

DAY 1 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 11:10pm London SATURDAY 4:10am /End=FRIDAY NY 11:40pm, SATURDAY London 4:40am)

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

RECORDING OF THE ABOVE IS HERE
    Unit 1-4 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_17sUfrdkQ

DAY 1 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SATURDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

14:30-15:00 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:00-16:00 REST PERIOD

1-5 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYnMZsbyjrI#t=690

DAY 1 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 4:25am, London 9:25am)

16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:40 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

17:40-17:50 Kinhin
    17:50-18:25 Zazen
    18:25-19:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 1-6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_uFjPO40dI

DAY 1 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 5:30am, London 10:30am)

19:00-19:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    19:30-20:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 1-7 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF8KPnuo_68

DAY 1 UNIT 8
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 6:00am London 11:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 8:30am, London 1:30pm)

20:00-20:50 "Short" Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    20:50-21:00 Kinhin

21:00-21:40 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    21:40-21:50 Kinhin
    21:50-22:30 Metta Chant & Zazen Close with Verse of Atonement & Four Vows

Unit-1-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbNWzr4rkk8

DAY 1 UNIT 9
    ( No Live Netcast from SATURDAY NY 8:30am London 1:30pm to NY 4:00pm, London 9:00pm)
    PLEASE CATCH UP WITH MISSED OVERNIGHT UNITS!

(Optional: Waza = Tradition of 'All Night Zazen' ... but we recommend you sleep instead.
    See you in the morning)

22:30 PM-
    (Day 2)
    05:30 AM
    BATH & SLEEP

NO RECORDING OF ABOVE

However, this may be a good time for the 15-Minute YOGA LESSON TO HELP US STRETCH (LINK HERE) presented by our Sangha Member William.

DAY 2 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = SATURDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = SATURDAY NY 6:55pm, London 11:55pm)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

06:00-06:40 AM Zazen Begin sitting without instruction. If you usually wear a Rakusu, DO NOT wear it yet (keep it in its bag) until Takkesage (Kesa Verse) later in morning.
    06:40-07:00 Long (20 minute) Kinhin*
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin

07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse When instructed, place on Kesa and recite Kesa Verse. All others, hands in Gassho.
    08:25-08:55 "Long" Service Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when hear ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    08:55-09:20 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhFSynlYWZI

DAY 2 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 7:20pm London SUNDAY 12:20am/End=SATURDAY NY 7:50pm, SUNDAY London 12:50am)

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

Unit 2-2 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gojXrRqL0jY#t=59

DAY 2 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 8:30pm London SUNDAY 1:30am/End=SATURDAY NY 10:45pm, SUNDAY London 3:45am)

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdpbeAegh8I

DAY 2 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 11:10pm London SUNDAY 4:10am/End=SATURDAY NY 11:40pm, SUNDAY London 4:40am)

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

Unit 2-4 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEM3Dh5Obk4

DAY 2 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SUNDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

14:30-15:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:30-16:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-5 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84hTtYQ5uB4

DAY 2 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 4:00 am, London 9:00am)

16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:20 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

17:20-17:30 Kinhin
    17:30-18:00 Zazen
    18:00-19:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=src-PfP85wo#t=48

DAY 2 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 7:30am, London 12:30pm)

19:00-19:50 "Short" Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    19:50-20:00 Kinhin
    20:00-20:40 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    20:40-20:50 Kinhin
    20:50-21:20 Fukanzazengi & Zazen
    21:20-21:30 Verse of Atonement & Four Vows ... Closing Words ...

Unit 2-7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHK1GBkl-0

Nine Bows to All Who Sat This Retreat Together ...

This article was originally published in forum thread: TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2013 -- started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 68 Comments
      Shohei -
      Thank you to Jundo and Taigu, to all of you that sat this retreat, are sitting or will be sitting!
      As Yugen said, I am moved by our teachers commitment and dedication, as well as that of members of this sangha.

I have more to sit, I just wanted to share my gratitude - it was great to see your faces (I was on live stream or recorded for most of this) and to hear your voices!

Gassho
      Shohei
      Myoku -
      Thank you to our teachers and everyone behind the scenes to make it possible, as well as to everyone who sat, sit or will sit,
      Gassho
      Myoku
      Dosho -
      Wonderful, extraordinary, extra ordinary!

Thank you to all who have sat, are sitting, or will sit!

Nine bows to Jundo, Taigu, and all members of the sangha!

Gassho,
      Dosho
      MyoHo -
      Wonderful! It has been a great and at times challenging experience! Thank you all for sitting and deep bows to our teachers and tech support for making all of this possible!

Gassho

Enkyo
      Kyonin -
      With humility and gratefulness I bow to Jundo and Taigu for making this Rohatsu a reality.

Such a marvelous experience to sit with my Treeleaf Sangha from all over the planet.

In one place.

With one mind.

One zafu and one voice.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Juki -
      Thank you to Jundo and Taigu. I mostly sat along with the live feed, but I did manage to get into the hangout a bit on Day 2. This was a great experience. I still have a bit to catch up on, but I am going to do that now.

Gassho,
      William
      Kantai -
      Thank you Jundo, Taigu and Treeleaf Sangha for this wonderful and tough experience.

Gassho
      Edward
      Manning -
      Jundo and Taigu, Gassho Manning.
      Seimyo -
      What a wonderful weekend!
      Thank you Jundo and Taigu for the time and commitment to our Sangha.

Thank you all that did make the time to sit and to those who are sitting still.

Like most of you I tried to be there live, but sometimes couldn't get in, but for the most part, I've been playing catch-up all retreat.

Gassho
      Seimyo
      Kokuu -
      Thank you so much, Jundo and Taigu, all the Inos and everyone who sat or will sit this Rohatsu retreat.

It was a wonderful experience and I am happy to be part of this wonderful sangha.

Deep bows to you all.

Andy
      Dosho -
      I also wanted to remind folks to thank their families who give us the gift of their time and patience while we sit. My wife has been incredibly supportive, especially with her birthday coming right in the middle of the retreat on Saturday!

Nine bows to all our families!

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
      I also wanted to remind folks to thank their families who give us the gift of their time and patience while we sit. My wife has been incredibly supportive, especially with her birthday coming right in the middle of the retreat on Saturday!

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Thank you Dosho for that reminder ... our families are an important and active part of our practice. =)

Gassho
      Shingen
      Hogo -
      My sincere thanks to all.
      Gassho. ~Hogo.
      Myoshin -
      wonderful,

I will sit next days to finish the portions I didn't finish.

Gassho all and tremendous voice Taigu when chanting ;-)

Myoshin
      Heisoku -
      A humble thank you from a part-timer this sesshin. Gassho.
      Myoshin -
      Part-timer but full of sincerity Heisoku

Gassho

Myoshin
      Kaiku -
      Thank you so much everyone for sitting.

I have begun some of the retreat and will be sitting with all of you in the retreat more the next couple days. I had planned being able to sit live for a good portion but it didn't seem to work out. I think being sick this week severely threw me off, for example I thought Friday was Thursday and so forth. I will be sitting with the recorded the next two days. Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
      Bobby
      Joyo -
      Thank you Jundo, Taigu for all your planning; and thank you to all at Treeleaf. I participated here and there as I could throughout the weekend. It was very nice.

Gassho,
      Treena
      Yugen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Dosho,
      Happy Birthday to your wife!

I owe my family a big debt of gratitude as I was sitting most of the weekend, and especially to my son Sam who gave me his room to use as a Zendo (Dosho, that was your room while you were here in August!).....

Deep bows
      Yugen
      Nenka -
      Thank you, Jundo, Taigu, everyone who sat or is sitting or will sit (past . . . present . . . future . . . in the ten directions!) You guys keep me coming back every year. I'm seriously grateful.

Gassho

Jen

I also wanted to remind folks to thank their families who give us the gift of their time and patience while we sit.
      And also thanks to my husband, who lost a lot of video gaming time this weekend!