• Nov 1st/2nd, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

NOTE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS HAS ENDED IN EUROPE, NOT YET IN US & CANADA

Readings for today's Dharma Talk are below in this thread.

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London 11pm, to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

http://youtu.be/o6TeWKLsWKA

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Nov 1st/2nd, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 40 Comments
      Myosha -
      Thanks to all.

Gassho,
      Edward
      Tiwala -
      Thanks everyone! This was my first sitting with other people. It was nice... I can't believe I sat through all of it. This has probably been the longest I've sat. Ever. Gotta say that everytime Jundo would say zazen again, in my head I was like, "No more ;___;" but I pulled through anyway. Was nice.

Once again, sincere, heartfelt thanks!

Gassho,
      Ben
      Dosho -
      Thanks everyone...wonderful to practice with you!

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Seimyo -
      Google didn't want to cooperate so I sat offline for half and will finish with the recording tomorrow.

Thank you all for sitting.

Gassho
      Seimyo
      Taikyo -
      a thanks to all who sat & will sit. Great Dharma talk. cause is cause, effect is effect, cause is effect, effect is cause. May we all spin with grace. Thank you Jundo. And thank you Dosho.
      Gassho
      David
      Myoku -
      Thank you everyone, have a wonderful weekend
      Gassho
      Myoku
      Kyonin -
      Thank you all who sat/will sit.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Heisoku -
      Thank you for the wonderful teisho Jundo and also thanks to ino Dosho. Gassho to everyone sitting this.
      Myozan Kodo -
      Hi all,
      Looking forward to this one. Love this koan.

Will have to sit when my guests leave tomorrow.

Gassho
      Myozan
      Stacy -
      Just finished. This was my first time to have tried the four-hour zazenkai, and I really enjoyed it.

Thank you for the sit, everyone.

Gassho, Stacy
      Sekishi -
      Sat this one today. "Danced" with you all on a brisk fall afternoon. The leaves are falling and the ladybugs are everywhere.

Thank you all for your practice.

Gassho,
      Eric
      Myozan Kodo -
      A really great Dharma talk.
      Gassho, with thanks,
      Myozan
      Genki -
      Thanks all!

Gassho
      Björn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Daitetsu -
      Lovely Zazenkai and an awesome Dharma Talk - perhaps you should post the talk as a separate video, too, as I think it is about an important aspect of our practice.

Thank you all!

Gassho,

Timo
      Geika -
      Thank you to all who sit.
      Ishin -
      Hi all thanks for a great Zazenkai.

Jundo all I can say is Phew!! I am sure glad you took a good long time to explain all those writings because I can honestly say I understand it now. I can't explain it to anyone else but I do understand it, which is a far cry better than after just reading them!

One thing that kept come to mind as your were explaining about the great dance, is that the ballerina is dancing NOW at this pivot point, but she is also spinning, and as she spins we can look at her spinning, her front, side, and back. You can look at each angle separately if you freeze the spin, but what you are really seeing is each one constantly affecting and dependent on the other. So past, present, future or cause and effect are like this. It is difficult to pin any down and it is impossible to see one with out seeing the other. As the ballerina spins it becomes blurry which are we really looking at. What was once the front is now the back and will be the front again. Can you see it now? Did you see it then? What will it be? All you can say really is that she is spinning in the dance.

To quote someone - " or something like that"

Gassho C
      Kokuu -
      Thank you all for your practice. These four hour Zazenkais have become even more important to me during Ango.

Great talk too, Jundo!

Gassho
      Andy
      Gi Shu-George -
      Thank you Jundo, thank you all.
      Beautyfull dharma talk
      Gassho
      Gi shu-George
      Kantai -
      Thank you everyone!
      I like the birds, they are like a kyosaku.
      Makes it easier to stay awake!

Gassho
      Edward
      Ishin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Milarepa View Post
      Thank you everyone!
      I like the birds, they are like a kyosaku.
      Makes it easier to stay awake!

Gassho
      Edward
      Yes!

Gassho
      C