• Sept 6th/7th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! - ANGO BEGINS!

Today's Zazenkai marks the COMMENCEMENT of our ANGO (90 Day Tranquil Dwelling)!

ALL SYSTEMS GO FOR ANGO!!!!!

The Talk today will reflect on "Ango Now and Then" ...
    (text below in this thread) ...

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

http://youtu.be/qwnbGETd810

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Sept 6th/7th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! - ANGO BEGINS! started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 62 Comments
      Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
      Hi all,
      I regret that I will not be joining you live tonight. I am at my parents' house (there is no internet - I'm at the town library) helping my Mother out following a surgical procedure. Everything is fine, my folks are in their mid-80s and need my presence right now. I will be sitting quietly tonight.

Here's to Ango and my gratitude to you all.
      Deep bows
      Yugen
      Be well Yugen and will sit for you and your Mom tonight.

Gassho
      Shingen
      Kyonin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
      Hi all,
      I regret that I will not be joining you live tonight. I am at my parents' house (there is no internet - I'm at the town library) helping my Mother out following a surgical procedure. Everything is fine, my folks are in their mid-80s and need my presence right now. I will be sitting quietly tonight.

Here's to Ango and my gratitude to you all.
      Deep bows
      Yugen
      You always sit with us, no matter where you are, brother.

Hope all is well.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Seimyo -
      I'll be sitting with you all a little later this evening and likely into tomorrow. Have a wonderful sit and kick-off for Ango all.

Gassho.
      Seimyo
      Daijo -
      Me too Seimyo, I'm beginning my peaceful dwelling with a thorough cleaning of the temple. Will sit afterwards.
      kidbuda -
      catch you later zen gang.

Gassho

kb
      Kaishin -
      Thank you all for the Zazenkai

And thanks for the laugh at the end, Jundo--I needed that
      Juki -
      Thanks to all who sat tonight and who will sit later. Gassho, William
      Mp -
      Thank you Jundo for the wonderful talk and thank you everyone for the sit ... have a great weekend and Happy Ango!

Gassho
      Shingen
      Kyonin -
      Thanks all who sat/will sit.

Have a lovely Ango

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Myosha -
      Thanks to all.

Gassho,
      Edward
      Ishin -
      Thank you everyone. It was nice to be here live the last 1.5 hours( though I couldn't figure out how to join on Google +, and didn't want to JUMP in the middle. ) Going backwards in time a wee bit now. Nice job Dosho

Gassho
      C
      gwz -
      I was very happy to hear the schedule tossed by the wayside today, since my Internet connection often tosses it by itself: crucial cues (like bells) are sometimes lost when the stream is, so I might end up doing 40 minutes of kinhin or 70 of zazen. In this situation, inflexibility doesn't really pay...
      Bengalidan -
      I'm glad you are able to be with your parents tonight, Yugen. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts as I sit tomorrow.
      Thank you everyone for the sit tonight. I'm glad the mic was muted and you all couldn't hear our very upset pups who couldn't understand why they couldn't come in the room. They certainly tested my focus.
      Gassho, Dan
      Hans -
      Hello folks,

just got home from my summer holiday. I'll sit with you later today, thank you so much for your practise.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
      Genki -
      Thank you for tonight!
      I overslept the start with 45min but joined in around the first kinhin. Then it all was a sleepy mess for me. But it was really nice to practice with you all. And I'm glad I fulfilled the start for my first ANGO.

Gassho
      The sleepy Björn
      Taikyo -
      Hi from the UK. - wonderful Ango despite a head cold, internet dropping, teenage son hijacking the connection!!! But a lesson in accepting things as they are & the Ango for what it is, without preconceptions. Wonderful talk Jundo thank you & my thanks to all who sat & will sit. See you on the Ango trail!!!

Gassho

david
      Genshin -
      Lovely. Thank you everyone that sat and will sit.

Gassho
      Matt
      Heisoku -
      Thank you Jundo for a wonderful talk and Gassho to everyone sitting, happy Ango to all.
      Koshin -
      May you and your parents be well Yugen. Thank you all sitters, and sorry for my dog Lara appearing on screen on the Heart Sutra...it was her first Zazenkai Goya has more experience, and Bells and Mokugyo are not new to her, so she was sleeping no problem

I had a power outage before the talk, due to the sky pouring out, so had to listen to it today, it was great....thank you all for your practice

Happy Ango!!!

Gassho
      Myoku -
      Thank you everyone sitting, thank you,
      and an extra thanks to Yugen for starting Ango this way, may you all be well,
      Gassho
      Myoku