• SIT-A-LONG with Jundo - TO ALL SOLO PRACTITIONERS: Don't Be A Selfish Pratyeka-buddha

Many times I hear folks say that they want to practice on their own, and not join in a Buddhist Community, because doing so gets in the way of their own practicing and sitting. They say that other people or having a teacher are a distraction, take up "my" precious time, are not a benefit to "me".

Well, I say: Don't be a selfish sitter, a Pratyeka-buddha.

There is an obligation, a face of the Bodhisattva Vow and taking refuge in Sangha, to support the Practice of others and not to be a Pratyeka-buddha. Ours is a Path beyond one's personal needs and wants. It is not a matter simply about what "I" want, what "I" need to do or learn, staring into my own navel.

Pratyeka-buddha:

In Buddhism, one who attains enlightenment through his own efforts rather than by listening to the teachings of a buddha. The way of the self-enlightened buddha was criticized in Mahayana Buddhism, which rejects the path of self-enlightenment as too limiting and embraces the ideal of the Bodhisattva, who postpones final enlightenment to work for the rescue of others.
    It is much like family and children, who we tend to and spend time with ... whether we selfishly always want to or not, and whether or not we would rather run away. Community activity is vital. Sure, there is a place for "time alone" (whether in my "man cave" in the house or my "Bodhidharma cave" in the mountains), but in the end we have a duty to the community ... and to ourself ... to help and be together.

Self and other are 'not two', and the community leaves us all stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmA3qs8lJI
    This article was originally published in forum thread: SIT-A-LONG with Jundo - TO ALL SOLO PRACTITIONERS: Don't Be A Selfish Pratyeka-buddha started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 56 Comments
      charst46 -
      Jundo,

As always, Gassho! I still sit with the group, just do not comment. The daily sittings I do are not by myself but are also with the sangha; the sangha is a source of energy and support. Gassho to the sangha.
      Jundo -
      Hi Char,

Thank you for the greetings. Peace to you.

Gassho, Jundo
      Tai Shi -
      I am willing to practice and sit with a group, but two things seem to cause me difficulty--first, I'm not sure of the conversion factors between when a group meets, and my time--Central time USA, here in the Midwest; second, I'm not sure of the protocol in asking to sit with a group--yes, I would very much like to sit with others, just not coordinating my efforts with specific groups in the Sangha, with Treeleaf members through hangout, Thank you

Elgwyn and willing
      Gassho
      sat today
      _/\_
      Meishin -
      Hi,

It's impossible to sit alone.

Gassho
      Meishin
      Sat today
      Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Meishin View Post
      Hi,

It's impossible to sit alone.

Gassho
      Meishin
      Sat today
      When we sit, the whole universe is sitting. =)

Gassho
      Shingen

Sattoday
      Tai Shi -
      Yes last evening I tried to join a group sitting, and I was not successful.
      Tai Shi -
      Maybe I just not familiar with Google, and I will keep trying to sit with people. Elgwyn, Gassho
      Tai Shi -
      Dear Sangha

I am going to sit tonight woth the 1 1: 00 Eastern Time group, and it will be 10:00 Central Time for me. It might be helpful to receive an email link to enter the group. This would be easier for me. Nevertheless I will attempt to follow directions I am given. Please explain if I enter through the Web site or through Google plus. Then I should have no problem. Thank you so very much.

Elgwyn
      Gassho
      Shugen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Elgwyn View Post
      Dear Sangha

I am going to sit tonight woth the 1 1: 00 Eastern Time group, and it will be 10:00 Central Time for me. It might be helpful to receive an email link to enter the group. This would be easier for me. Nevertheless I will attempt to follow directions I am given. Please explain if I enter through the Web site or through Google plus. Then I should have no problem. Thank you so very much.

Elgwyn
      Gassho
      Hi Elgwyn,

You should be able to access the sit through Google Plus. Just look for the blue "Join Hangout" button! Good Luck!

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
      broahes -
      I have spent the past ten years practicing and studying alone, yet not. When I was ready to commit myself fully here you all are. The feeling that I have been sitting with you all this entire time is strong. I thank each of you. Much of my Zazen is done is done in nature, away from the computer screen. I would like to join in on some of the daily and or weekly sittings.

My problem is getting into a routine of coming back indoors. Has anyone else ever faced this issue? Any suggestions? Is it possible to join in the hangout sessions via my phone?

Gassho,
      Brooks sat today.
      Shugen -
      Hi Brooks,

You may have to download the Google Plus Hangout App to join from your phone. You will not be able to start a hangout but you will be able to join one.

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday

Shugen
      明道 修眼
      As a priest in training, please assume I don't really know what I'm talking about....[emoji3]
      broahes -
      Hi Shugen,

I have now downloaded it to my phone. Thank you for the info.

Gassho,
      Brooks
      Byokan -
      Thank you Jundo

This speaks right to my heart. I sat "alone" for 35 years, although now, as others have said, I realize I was never alone. Working long hours at my former career, and, in truth, just too shy to go to a zen center (even though I wanted to, really), and also being wary of "guru's", I kept saying, maybe next year. Then, just about the time I moved to the middle of nowhere here in the pines, I realized that practice was incomplete without Sangha. Out of nowhere in a crazy coincidence Treeleaf and Jundo dropped into my life. There are no words to fully express my gratitude to you all, this beautiful Sangha, and our dear Teacher(s).

Gassho
      Lisa
      sat today
      Jika -
      Tai Shi -
      I am very happy! Last night I was able to find and follow the Zazenkai from South Dakota--as it was happening--I was able to learn more about walking meditation, and I completed the 1 1/2 hour session. This gives me hope for the coming retreat.

Elgwyn
      sat today
      Gassho
      Byokan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Elgwyn View Post
      I am very happy! Last night I was able to find and follow the Zazenkai from South Dakota--as it was happening--I was able to learn more about walking meditation, and I completed the 1 1/2 hour session. This gives me hope for the coming retreat.

Elgwyn
      sat today
      Gassho
      Elgwyn,

that's wonderful to hear, I'm happy with you!

Always sitting together,

Gassho
      Lisa
      sat today