Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

• SIT-A-LONG with Jundo - TO ALL SOLO PRACTITIONERS: Don't Be A Selfish Pratyeka-buddha

Many times I hear folks say that they want to practice on their own, and not join in a Buddhist Community, because doing so gets in the way of their own practicing and sitting. They say that other people or having a teacher are a distraction, take up "my" precious time, are not a benefit to "me".

Well, I say: Don't be a selfish sitter, a Pratyeka-buddha.

There is an obligation, a face of the Bodhisattva Vow and taking refuge in Sangha, to support the Practice of others and not to be a Pratyeka-buddha. Ours is a Path beyond one's personal needs and wants. It is not a matter simply about what "I" want, what "I" need to do or learn, staring into my own navel.

Pratyeka-buddha:

In Buddhism, one who attains enlightenment through his own efforts rather than by listening to the teachings of a buddha. The way of the self-enlightened buddha was criticized in Mahayana Buddhism, which rejects the path of self-enlightenment as too limiting and embraces the ideal of the Bodhisattva, who postpones final enlightenment to work for the rescue of others.
    It is much like family and children, who we tend to and spend time with ... whether we selfishly always want to or not, and whether or not we would rather run away. Community activity is vital. Sure, there is a place for "time alone" (whether in my "man cave" in the house or my "Bodhidharma cave" in the mountains), but in the end we have a duty to the community ... and to ourself ... to help and be together.

Self and other are 'not two', and the community leaves us all stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmA3qs8lJI
    This article was originally published in forum thread: SIT-A-LONG with Jundo - TO ALL SOLO PRACTITIONERS: Don't Be A Selfish Pratyeka-buddha started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 27 Comments
      Marcelo de Valnisio -
      Thank you.

Gassho.
      Dosho -
      Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Amelia -
      Thank you, Jundo.
      Marla567 -
      Thank you Jundo.

Before joining a group of people I try to think about, if I want to get something or if I want to give something. Because I heard the statement, that a bodhisattva goes out in the world to give whereas most people go out in the world to get something. Most of the time it is both - giving and getting. When I feel, that I only want other people to make me happy, it often turns out that they can't really do this.

Gassho
      Shinka
      Yugen -
      Quote Originally Posted by adrianbkelly View Post
      I've really missed the support of this wonderful Sangha & could't help but smile when I logged in & saw lot's of familiar, friendly faces (as well as lots of new ones!) If you'll have me back, I'd love to start sitting with you again!
      Pull up a zafu and join us! It is our privilege to have you practicing with us! Thank you for your honest commentary. I too have had periods where I withdraw and want to sit alone. It allows me to "hide" and go to all sorts of peculiar places. When we sit together I feel all of your presence, and the practice belongs to all of us - we support one another. It has a nice feeling.

Deep bows
      Yugen
      Kyonin -
      So true.

I used to practice alone for many years and you spin all over until you settle with a Sangha.

Sharing practice with the community is super important.

Thanks for this teaching.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Bobby -
  • Recent Forum Posts

Taigu

I rank, or maybe not

"A man of no rank" has nothing to do with humility!

When you just don't become such a man, when you realize you are it, how could

Taigu Today, 11:47 AM Go to last post
    AlanLa

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 35

My understanding has always been that as soon as I feel "enlightened" I am not enlightened, so my practice is to (non)try to drop enlightenment.

AlanLa Today, 05:41 AM Go to last post
    AlanLa

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 36

It is hard to express how much this koan meant to me here. I had to draw it and frame it and put it up in my room. I have been familiar with the phrases

AlanLa Today, 05:38 AM Go to last post
    AlanLa

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY - Case 39

Oh, where to begin…

First thought: When I moved into m first apartment, my mom told me that after my grandmother died my grandfather lived

AlanLa Today, 05:32 AM Go to last post
    AlanLa

I rank, or maybe not

Aha! The koan of multiple koans at once has been unleashed!
    To take it all in must mean samsara abounds
    Which must mean enlightenment threatens.

AlanLa Today, 05:15 AM Go to last post