• Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI with GUSTAV ERICSSON

Please join us for a special Zazenkai with my Dharma Brother, Gustav Ericsson, who is visiting Treeleaf Tsukuba, Japan from Sweden!

Gustav Ericcson is a Dharma successor of our Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi (Jundo's Teacher and Taigu's "Grand" Teacher) and, since 2010, also a Lutheran Priest with the Church of Sweden, which is the largest Christian church organization in Sweden and largest Lutheran church in the world. In 2009 he founded Anzenkai, which is an interreligious network of friends based on daily shikantaza zazen. He is also a former prison guard before becoming a Lutheran priest. Obviously, Gustav is very interested in the intersection of Buddhist and Christian Teachings. You can read an interview with Gustav HERE.

Here is something that Gustav wrote on his website for his sitting community in Sweden, Anzenkai.com, and I hope he will speak about when he joins us ...

Anzenkai is not based on any particular religious creed. Some of us are Christians, some are Buddhists, and some belong to other traditions or none at all. We all practice zazen together as friends, enriched by our diversity.

http://www.anzenkai.com/aboutanzenkai.html

Gassho, Jundo
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI with GUSTAV ERICSSON started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 51 Comments
      Koshin -
      Thank you, will be there live

Gassho
      Myozan Kodo -
      Hi,
      Wish I could be there live. Good luck with it all. Very exciting. Will be watching / sitting tomorrow.
      Gassho
      Myozan
      Taikyo -
      Thank you Jundo for organising these sessions. I won't be live this time but will sit and watch ASAP.

Gassho

David
      Jundo -
      Dear All,

JUST A RE-MINDER THAT, DUE TO GUSTAV'S TRAVEL, START TIME WAS MOVED 30 MINUTES LATER, TO THE FOLLOWING.

Right now, Zazen and Gustav's Talk will commence from 11:30am Japan time Monday morning, which is New York 10:30pm, Los Angeles 7:30pm (Tuesday night). Unfortunately, because the world is round, that is London 3:30am and Paris 4:30am (early Wednesday morning).

The Zazenkai will be between one hour and 90 minutes in length.

I have the following people reserved for the Hangout.

Jundo & Gustav
      Yugen
      Koshin
      Shingen
      Droclose
      Kyonin
      Joe
      Amelia
      Risho

The above individuals will receive an invite to join the Hangout about 15 minutes before the hangout start. I hope others can join us "one way" on the screen I will post at the top of this thread shortly before the Zazenkai.

Gassho,
      Myosha -
      Looking forward to hangout.

Thank you.

Gassho,
      Edward
      Mp -
      Thanks Jundo, I will be there.

Gassho
      Shingen
      Koshin -
      I am ready for the Zazenkai, but there is some heavy thunder and rain over here, so if I do not join on time or dissappear in the middle, surely it is due a power outage, so feel free to use my spot ( something Sheldon would never say )

Gassho

Sent from Tapatalk 2
      Geika -
      I'm ready. I will be using my phone. Will I be getting an invitation on the Hangouts app? I've never done it this way before.
      Myosha -
      Received invitation. Google + says "You do not have a device." Will be no-show.

Sorry,

Gassho,
      Edward
      Risho -
      That was really cool; he is very inspirational.

Gassho,

Risho
      Geika -
      Sorry that I kept cutting in and out toward the end. Something was definitely up with my connection. I will catch up with the recorded version in a few minutes.

Thank you very much, Gustav. And thank you to Jundo and all the others who sat and will sit.
      Mp -
      Yes, this was an amazing experience ... thank you Gustav for your kindness and openness. Thank you as well to Jundo for making these wondering talks possible.

Gassho
      Shingen
      Joe -
      Thank you Jundo and Gustav and everyone!
      My family, my girlfriend, and my coworkers all comment on how I rarely smile around them. Now this talk. I anticipate feeling pain in my face for a few weeks. But it will be good practice!
      Such a timely talk with a Christian priest too! I may send this video to a few of my friends and family.

Thank you again everyone, it was a good lesson to sit with all of you.

Gassho,
      Joe
      Kyonin -
      It was a wonderful event with lots of teachings.

Thanks to Just Gustavo for his words and to Jundo for bringing him to Treeleaf.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Shokai -
      Thank you all who sat, will sit and, those who participated; Gustav for being here and Jundo for arranging that. A special thanks to Gustav, the dragon who is working hard to cement the bonds of interfaith unity. Thank you for joining us and sharing your story and your wisdom. It would be good if you could do this again sometime. Your shining faith and infectious smile are great to have around.

gassho,
      Koshin -
      Thank you Just Gustav It was a great sincere talk, much appreciated to travel so far just to be with us, maybe we will hear from you now you just found the way of G+ ... Now, time to sit again, smiling

Gassho
      Hans -
      Hello,

thank you Jundo and Gustav for organising this event! Very interesting indeed!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
      Nengyo -
      I had a sick kid last night. I will be watching it today.
      Risho -
      I hope Father Kirillos watches this as well. He's another inspiration for me here at Treeleaf, a model of merging both traditions.
      Heisoku -
      Thank you Gustav and Jundo. I enjoyed this...the idea that we can be so open to all opinions and beliefs to the extent that it allows love and compassion to blossom. This in turn links to the defencelessness of zazen, a return to the open childlike state. My Grandpa used to say that when we smile the world smiles with you, but when you cry you cry alone...maybe we should add that our open smile can break this! Gassho.