• Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI with GUSTAV ERICSSON

Please join us for a special Zazenkai with my Dharma Brother, Gustav Ericsson, who is visiting Treeleaf Tsukuba, Japan from Sweden!

Gustav Ericcson is a Dharma successor of our Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi (Jundo's Teacher and Taigu's "Grand" Teacher) and, since 2010, also a Lutheran Priest with the Church of Sweden, which is the largest Christian church organization in Sweden and largest Lutheran church in the world. In 2009 he founded Anzenkai, which is an interreligious network of friends based on daily shikantaza zazen. He is also a former prison guard before becoming a Lutheran priest. Obviously, Gustav is very interested in the intersection of Buddhist and Christian Teachings. You can read an interview with Gustav HERE.

Here is something that Gustav wrote on his website for his sitting community in Sweden, Anzenkai.com, and I hope he will speak about when he joins us ...

Anzenkai is not based on any particular religious creed. Some of us are Christians, some are Buddhists, and some belong to other traditions or none at all. We all practice zazen together as friends, enriched by our diversity.

http://www.anzenkai.com/aboutanzenkai.html

Gassho, Jundo
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI with GUSTAV ERICSSON started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 51 Comments
      Jinyo -
      Thank you - that was really inspiring - and a lovely energy with all the warmth and smiles.

Gassho

Willow
      Daitetsu -
      That was really great!
      Thanks a lot, Gustav, for this awesome Dharma Talk, Jundo for inviting him and also thanks to all who attended (very good questions/comments, guys!).

Gassho,

Timo
      Jakudo -
      Thank you Gustav for taking the time to share with us, and also to you Jundo for organizing these talks, I am enjoying them very much.
      Gassho, Jakudo.
      andyZ -
      Thank you Jundo and Gustav for organizing this talk. It's interesting to see a real life example of how these two traditions can coexist and be used to unite people rather than separate.
      Myozan Kodo -
      Thank you all. Really wonderful.
      Gassho
      Myozan
      Myosha -
      Wonderful.

Thank you.

Gassho,
      Edward
      Rich -
      Thank you for sharing your experience and positive energy.
      Kokuu -
      Thank you! In the light of recent discussions on the meeting of Zen and Christianity, it was great to have Gustav's input. His work as a prison officer seems to have greatly informed his practice too. A lovely man.

Gassho
      Andy
      KellyRok -
      Hello all,

Another wonderful experience! Thank you Just Jundo for inviting Just Gustav to come and speak with us. This was a very profound and lovely teaching. I once again took some notes to share with my family...this is truly appreciated. _/\_

Treena - I'm so happy to hear that you and your Mom have found a comfortable space to truly talk to each other regarding your differences. It is amazing what you can learn when labels are dropped and true listening is achieved. _/\_

Gassho,
      Kelly/Jinmei
      em -
      Thank you. I much appreciated the talk and the sense of community it brought to me.

I'm struggling a bit with some beliefs that seem to be taken for granted in my other sangha. For me, a literal reading of the pali canon and it's beings and realms is not so obvious or even obviously helpful. I recognize that I can bring quite a bit of ego and papancha into this struggle so doing sangha in that context is an interesting practice and process.

With metta,
      Em
      Kokuu -
      Em, I have a similar problem with my local Tibetan sangha and have learned to just sit with them rather than bringing my questioning and ego. Questioning what is taken for granted there rarely serves any useful purpose. Learning that my questioning might just be self-serving and not helpful to others is an ongoing process.

Gassho
      Andy