• June 7th/8th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

NOTE: Our Dharma Talk this time will roll with the Genjo Koan (text below in this thread) ...

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

http://youtu.be/Zs6JY3yEgPQ

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS are posted AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: June 7th/8th, 2013 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
      Myoku -
      Thank you Jundo and everyone practicing,
      Gassho
      Myoku
      Sekishi -
      Thanks to our ancestral teachers, Jundo, all who sit, pets with squeak toys, and all sentient beings. Wonderful Zazenkai and teachings Jundo.

Deep gassho,
      Eric
      Jundo -
      A question was asked by Arnold about the footnotes in the Nishijima Roshi-Chodo Cross translation which point to the verb yadosu/yadoru. They are two tenses of the same verb which mean something like "shelter, accommodate, give dwelling to", and our nice expressions in Japanese which express that a mirror "accommodates/gives dwelling to" the reflection held there, or that the moon "dwells in/is accommodated by" the water holding its reflection. It is just a very nice term for reflection, something like how we might say in English "the dew drops give home to the light of the moon".

Master Dogen then goes a bit further, and also speaks of an intimacy even beyond and through such ... where the moon in the sky and the water below are not apart, the mirror and all displayed within are not two, each also intimately one.

I hope that helps.

Gassho, J
      Mp -
      Thanks for the clarification Jundo.

Gassho
      Shingen
      arnold -
      Thank you Jundo. Very kind of you.
      Marla567 -
      Thank you all for sitting together! Thank you Jundo for the Dharma talk and the others for the questions.

Gassho,
      Shinka
      Juki -
      I finally got to sit this one last night. Excellent talk. Thanks to all what sat.

Gassho,
      William
      Geika -
      Hopefully I will be able to sit a good chunk of this tomorrow. I never have the adequate privacy to do an entire monthly zazenkai, though I at least try to sit the duration of it throughout the week. I am pretty caught up with most weekly sits, though. Happy to be sitting with you all.
      Gi Shu-George -
      Thank you Jundo, thank you all for this sitting
      Gassho
      Gi shu- George.
      Risho -
      Wonderful talk and sit. Thank you.

Gassho,

Risho
      Myosha -
      Thank you Jundo.

Zazen and trucks = priceless.

Gassho,
      Edward
      Daitetsu -
      Thanks a lot for your practice.
      And - as always - what a great Dharma Talk, Jundo!

Gassho,

Timo