• TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2012 --

PLEASE NOTE SOME MICROPHONE SQUEAK DURING THE FIRST FEW HOURS of FIRST DAY. PLEASE JUST SIT WITH IT!

WELCOME ...

... to our TREELEAF 'AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT, being held by LIVE NETCAST on Saturday/Sunday December 8 and 9, 2012.

Please 'sit-a-long' with the LIVE NETCAST at the times below ... to be visible at the below links to GOOGLE+ during those hours ...

HOWEVER, you may still join the Retreat and sit-a-long at ANY AND ALL TIME after, by the real time recorded version at the links below (no different from the original!).

The full sitting schedule is below, and you may download our CHANT BOOK HERE(LINK to PDF).

and please review the various RETREAT POINTERS HERE(LINK to PDF).

Recordings of each segment are posted below in time order ... and if we drop from mind all thought of 'now' 'then' 'here' and 'there' ... we will all be sitting together right when and where you are!

This Retreat celebrates the 'official' closure of our ANGO (90 day Special Practice Season) at Treeleaf, is a part of current preparations for our JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) Ceremony in January, and marks ROHATSU ... the traditional holiday in Japan celebrating the time of the Buddha's Enlightenment.

Jundo will be guiding the first day of sitting on Saturday, and Taigu on Sunday.

In case of technical problems, please just go along as best you can with the schedule ... we sit with "what is".. .

OF COURSE, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION ... if the sitting ever feels too much, be sure to walk lots and lots of Kinhin (even if during a sitting period). And if the whole retreat becomes too much, or you feel ill, you may slow down ... , spread things out, shorten the sittings ... or STOP! Be sure that you have someone close by whom you can call, or who can check on you from time to time. If there is any question about health, do not take any chances!

Please write and let us know how it goes. Gassho, Jundo & Taigu

DAY 1 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = FRIDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = FRIDAY NY 7:05pm, London 12:05am)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

DAY 1
    06:00-06:50 AM Entrance by Officiant (Jundo) & Zazen. If you usually wear a Rakusu, DO NOT wear it yet (keep it in its bag) until Takkesage (Kesa Verse) later in morning.
    06:50-07:00 Kinhin* (All Kinhin times can be bathroom break)
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin

07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse
    08:25-09:05 "Long" Service.Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when hear ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    09:05-09:20 REST PERIOD

RECORDING OF ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMzfk8owCo

DAY 1 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 7:20pm London SATURDAY 12:20am /End=SUNDAY NY 7:50pm, SATURDAY London 12:50am)

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

RECORDING OF ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-2 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_03RfX5Df8

DAY 1 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 8:30pm London SATURDAY 1:30am /End=FRIDAY NY 10:45pm, SATURDAY London 3:45am)

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

RECORDING OF THE ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9GsXZ3w

DAY 1 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 11:10pm London SATURDAY 4:10am /End=FRIDAY NY 11:40pm, SATURDAY London 4:40am)

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

RECORDING OF THE ABOVE IS HERE
    Unit 1-4 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciza_UL5N1E

DAY 1 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SATURDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

14:30-15:00 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:00-16:00 REST PERIOD

1-5 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXWT6F9pzfM

DAY 1 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 4:25am, London 9:25am)

16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:40 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

17:40-17:50 Kinhin
    17:50-18:25 Zazen
    18:25-19:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 1-6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiAUEK0ASYs

DAY 1 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 5:30am, London 10:30am)

19:00-19:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    19:30-20:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 1-7 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHo_cASEJSQ

DAY 1 UNIT 8
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 6:00am London 11:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 8:30am, London 1:30pm)

20:00-20:50 "Short" Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    20:50-21:00 Kinhin

21:00-21:40 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    21:40-21:50 Kinhin
    21:50-22:30 Metta Chant & Zazen Close with Verse of Atonement & Four Vows

Unit-1-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3g5jdh3nWs

DAY 1 UNIT 9
    ( No Live Netcast from SATURDAY NY 8:30am London 1:30pm to NY 4:00pm, London 9:00pm)
    PLEASE CATCH UP WITH MISSED OVERNIGHT UNITS!

(Optional: Waza = Tradition of 'All Night Zazen' ... but we recommend you sleep instead.
    See you in the morning)

22:30 PM-
    (Day 2)
    05:30 AM
    BATH & SLEEP

NO RECORDING OF ABOVE

DAY 2 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = SATURDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = SATURDAY NY 6:55pm, London 11:55pm)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

06:00-06:40 AM Zazen Begin sitting without instruction. If you usually wear a Rakusu, DO NOT wear it yet (keep it in its bag) until Takkesage (Kesa Verse) later in morning.
    06:40-07:00 Long (20 minute) Kinhin*
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin

07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse When instructed, place on Kesa and recite Kesa Verse. All others, hands in Gassho.
    08:25-08:55 "Long" Service Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when hear ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    08:55-09:20 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWd5SrzpLE

DAY 2 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 7:20pm London SUNDAY 12:20am/End=SATURDAY NY 7:50pm, SUNDAY London 12:50am)

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

Unit 2-2 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PauWIu2l_RM

DAY 2 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 8:30pm London SUNDAY 1:30am/End=SATURDAY NY 10:45pm, SUNDAY London 3:45am)

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-nwPFrIMw

DAY 2 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 11:10pm London SUNDAY 4:10am/End=SATURDAY NY 11:40pm, SUNDAY London 4:40am)

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

Unit 2-4 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUvTHzMx2w

DAY 2 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SUNDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

14:30-15:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:30-16:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-5 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hjMOJsIm0

DAY 2 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 4:00 am, London 9:00am)

16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:20 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

17:20-17:30 Kinhin
    17:30-18:00 Zazen
    18:00-19:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFHqxqqbHVw

DAY 2 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 7:30am, London 12:30pm)

19:00-19:50 "Short" Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    19:50-20:00 Kinhin
    20:00-20:40 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    20:40-20:50 Kinhin
    20:50-21:20 Fukanzazengi & Zazen
    21:20-21:30 Verse of Atonement & Four Vows ... Closing Words ...

Unit 2-7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItHPeW8xzlI

Nine Bows to All Who Sat This Retreat Together ...

This article was originally published in forum thread: TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2012 -- started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 61 Comments
      Myoku -
      Thank you everyone,
      Jundo, Taigu, the tech guys behind the scene and everyone contributing and sitting,
      take care of your health Taigu and Heisoku, while I take care of my knees
      Gassho
      Myoku
      Jinyo -
      Deep bows to all who sat/will sit.

Gassho

Willow
      Shinko -
      I will have to catch the full retreat later this week, of all weekends in the year to have to work alone, this was it, (the new coworker took 2 weeks off" before I could snag vacation time).
      Koshin -
      I just finished ... I'm exhausted, but very happy to belong to this Sangha, this retreat experience is unforgettable. I greatly appreciate the efforts of our teachers Jundo and Taigu, my fellow 'leafers in their zafus right next to me, and those who put their tech expertise so we can use this tools acroos all places and times.

Deep Gassho
      Heishu -
      Thank you to Jundo and Taigu for giving of yourselves during this wonderful retreat. Jundo I felt that leg cramp all the way in Indiana and yet you carrried on. Taigu you were suffering in health but continued to give to us. I bow to both of you. The teachings that both of you shared meant alot to me.

This is a fantastic method of sharing in retreat with many miles between everyone. Glitches happen even in an live and in person setting so nothing for me to ponder as to how to improve. I was able to catch one live but then I lost it from there. YouTube to the rescue. I am going to have to get into the Google+ for the future.

Gassho
      Alan
      Nenka -
      Deep thanks to Jundo and Taigu for doing this. These retreats always bring me back to beginner's mind and renew my enthusiasm for the practice (no matter how much I grumble at 5 a.m. or applaud when Jundo says "I HATE SESSHIN!")

This was also the first year I didn't have to wrestle with recordings on JustinTV, so I'm totally grateful for YouTube and Google+.

I was interested to hear (if I heard this right) Taigu say in oriyoki, his teacher would use a daikon radish to clean the bowls, and then eat it. Perhaps it would be good next year, instead of a sponge, to use a radish or maybe a piece of a crunchy vegetable to do this?

Gassho

Jen
      Marla567 -
      Thank you very much to Jundo and Taigu for this inspiring retreat. I sat with my husband almost the complete time, but in our time zone. We enjoyed the dharma talks very much and still think about it. The time frame of oriyoki was much to short for us, we continued eating in the rest period ;-)
      We are looking forward our next Rohatsu in 2013- the first time with our baby

And thanks to all the others who sat/will sit with us!

Gassho
      Bianca
      Dokan -
      Thank you all for being such an inspiration. I was able to sit a bit Sunday but nothing live. My practice this past weekend comprised of tending to a very sick little girl.

Deep bows to you all

Gassho

Dokan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
      Jundo -
      By the way, if anyone would like to see what Oryoki is "supposed" to look like, please watch this beautiful video of a Retreat at Zen Mountain monastery. They are very ritual conscious there, and pay special attention to form. Very much more a ballet than my "two left feet" version during our Retreat. Of course, all is beautiful in its way. As I wrote on another thread today.

We also make an effort in the Japanese Zen Traditions to be very sincere, precise and "perfect" in undertaking each ceremony. At the same time (this is the Shikantaza heart), we know that it will never be "perfect", something will always go "wrong", and yet even the worst screw up of some ritual (Oryoki eating is a prime example) is always "perfectly imperfect" and "perfectly just what it is" (which is not to be confused with "perfect just as it is"). We live through all such perspectives at once ... not neglecting the goal of doing something well, yet simultaneously dropping all goal and need to attain (a kind of healthy schizophrenia! ) We can always get better AND there is no place to "get" but ever right here. We should for "perfection" and "good", all while simultaneously dropping all dichotomies of "perfect vs. imperfect" "good and bad" (we are not nihilists).

Such is our Practice, and a "Zen Klutz" like me who always drops the incense or drops his chopsticks is very much at home!
      Perhaps if folks are interested, we could have an "online class" here to make a more serious training in Oryoki. It is an old and traditional, but powerful Practice.

Dosho -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
      Perhaps if folks are interested, we could have an "online class" here to make a more serious training in Oryoki. It is an old and traditional, but powerful Practice.
      I would definitely be interested. Every year I say I'm going to study the video in the weeks leading up to the retreat, but invariably end up watching it the day before.

It's not something I would want to do all the time, but that's kind of the point, right?

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
      I would definitely be interested. Every year I say I'm going to study the video in the weeks leading up to the retreat, but invariably end up watching it the day before.

It's not something I would want to do all the time, but that's kind of the point, right?

Gassho,
      Dosho
      I too would be very interested in studying Oryoki in more detail.

Gassho
      Michael
      Nindo -
      I love this video and particularly their ino's voice.
      I can tell you, Oryoki with MRO students is intense, but also very moving. Just the way the drums go at the beginning, and then the servers come storming in with bowls held high...
      I sat next to a guy who lovingly, meticulously cleaned his bowls, handling them like a baby. While I was still caught up in "doing it right". It was wonderful to watch.
      Jiken -
      Just finished Rohatsu a little modified due to work and the kids. A heartfelt thanks to all who sat and will sit. Thank you Taigu, Jundo and all of Treeleaf for the opportunity created here. As far as comments it was perfect or maybe imperfect...and Kannon was present.

Gassho,

Daido

P.S. I would interested in the oryoki as well.
      Nindo -
      Starting Rohatsu ....
      Nindo -
      Two days of putting the myriad things to rest
      ... wonderful, wonderful!

The gaze of compassion - of course!

Thank you Taigu and Jundo and all who are sitting throughout time and space.

When I accept the moment as it is
      there is still hope for change
      my knees hurt
      but the bell will ring
      the washing machine is annoying
      but the cycle will end

When I become the moment
      it stretches into eternity
      now is now is fully now
      the bell will never ring
      the machine will never stop
      no hope, hopelessness
      just this thus
      then the next moment arrives

Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
      Two days of putting the myriad things to rest
      ... wonderful, wonderful!

The gaze of compassion - of course!

Thank you Taigu and Jundo and all who are sitting throughout time and space.

When I accept the moment as it is
      there is still hope for change
      my knees hurt
      but the bell will ring
      the washing machine is annoying
      but the cycle will end

When I become the moment
      it stretches into eternity
      now is now is fully now
      the bell will never ring
      the machine will never stop
      no hope, hopelessness
      just this thus
      then the next moment arrives

Very nice Nindo, thank you.

Gassho
      Michael
      Jundo -
      Thank you to all of you. It was lovely to sit this Retreat with you.

Gassho, Jundo
      Mp -

Gassho, Jundo
      Yes, it was wonderful to sit with everyone.

Gassho
      Michael
      RichardH -

Gassho, Jundo

More please..

Gassho, kojip
      KellyRok -
      I just finished my retreat, if it can truly be 'finished'. A little later than I had planned...but time is relative, right? . It was truly wonderful to sit with you all! Jundo and Taigu, thank you so much for all your efforts, your teachings, and your practice!

Now, off to catch up on some sleep...hopefully.

Gassho,
      Kelly/Jinmei