• October 6th, 2012- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

DUE TO TECHNICAL 'NON-PROBLEMS', OUR CHANTING SERVICE IS AFTER FIRST ZAZEN SITTING TODAY.

THE THEME OF TODAY'S ZAZENKAI TALK WILL BE BASED ON MASTER DOGEN'S SHOBOGENZO-SHOJI (LIFE-&-DEATH), TEXT BELOW IN THIS THREAD.

Dear All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning))

... to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

http://youtu.be/ILCL6pSzFbk

WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

The Sitting Schedule is as follows;

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: October 6th, 2012- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI! started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 38 Comments
      Kyonin -
      I agree with Michael. It was great to have you live!

Gassho,

Kyonin

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
      Thanks and bows to all. Sound did not come on for me after the first sit - was waiting for Dosho's bell! Since I sat right through half of the service, I went and did my own chanting, from the start!
      Yugen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
      Due to recent illness and now a flareup of back problem, will have to do this in pieces. Am with you and thank you.
      Rich, hope your condition improves. I had a flu recently and did my "sitting" lying down. Also resat a Zazenkai in pieces. It's interesting how different conditions present opportunities to experience our practice outside of routine or fixed positions and schedules. It's all practice. Be well, and thanks for being here and practicing with us. Your presence means a lot.

Deep bows
      Yugen
      Nindo -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
      I agree with Michael. It was great to have you live!

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Thanks guys
      Good to see you too.
      Will try to be there more often!
      Jundo -
      Sorry for the sound and technical "non-problems" today. I pushed the two buttons I am not supposed to push. Also, next time, I will remember to get close to the microphone for talks. AFTER 5 YEARS OF THESE ZAZENKAI, I THINK I AM FINALLY GETTING THE HANG OF IT!

Gassho, Jundo
      Heisoku -
      It's interesting to note the mind/body's reaction when the unexpected routine change. However sitting is sitting and it is always a pleasure to sit with you all, even recorded as I do. Gassho to such reminders.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
      Rich -
      Thanks, yugen.
      RichardH -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
      Thanks and bows to all. Sound did not come on for me after the first sit - was waiting for Dosho's bell! Since I sat right through half of the service, I went and did my own chanting, from the start!
      I noticed you still facing the wall well after we had moved on to other things.. and thought "Wow! Nindo is a real trooper!"

Gassho.
      adrianbkelly -
      Thanks everyone!

_/\_

Ade
      Shugen -
      Gassho to all.
      BobSpour -
      Thanks once again for this! Only just managed to get it in. Had a really busy weekend so sat this morning
      gassho
      bob
      Gi Shu-George -
      Thank you all for this sitting.
      Gassho. George-Gishu
      Yutai -
      Thank you.

Gassho,
      Lindsay
      Rich -
      All the pieces came together nicely, thank you.
      Kaishin -
      Thank you for this Zazenkai

Gassho, Kaishin / Matt
      pinoybuddhist -
      Well, as usual I have had to break this into bite-sized segments. I've sat three out of four so far, listened to the talk (good talk btw ) so just one more zazen to go.

Raf
      Myoku -
      Thank you everyone,
      Gassho
      Myoku
      Shujin -
      Sat last Thursday, thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
      Shujin
      Risho -
      Gassho,

Risho